Part- time pay sucks, keep up with the pay teamster/UPS

does the pay suck for the work load you do?

• Yes

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • NO

Votes: 8 44.4%

• Total voters

flipstyle9

I just started working for UPS as a preloader part-time and man does the pay really suck. It takes me only 10 minutes to get to work but I have to cross the bridge and just the toll charge is $5.00. and I am only getting $9.50/hr. This is so sad. more than half amn hour goes to crossing the bridge. It seems like UPS starts out people part time because the Local Teamster Union does not care much for them. What I really ask for in their new contract is pay their part timers way more or lessen the work load. I have to load 3 trucks and it is only my second week. It really seems like I am not being fairly compensated for what I do. I read in 1997 they ware getting $8.50 an hour when gas was way underr $2.00/gallon and now 15 years later it is only $1 more and gas is more than $4/gallon. we need to do the math and see what is wrong here.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
I can answer Brother Flip with a song..........
[video=youtube;4qh_TKJTPsQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qh_TKJTPsQ[/video]

What are you signing that violates the labor law? I have never seen it. For a two week employee you are really disgruntled. Just quit and make yourself happy.

Justaname

I agree the pays not the greatest, but loading 3 cars isn't to bad, we do 5 at my center. Get a second job to make up the pay. Ups is no walk in the park. If it's not for you then get out before your back starts feeling it. If you decide to stay it only gets harder.

Random_Facts

I'd say the pay is on the lower side, at least for the guys that are brand new. $8.50 an hour, pulling 3-4 trucks. Pulling 1100 boxes is a bit outrageous to say at the least. Especially when you find out the guy across the belt from you is only doing 3 trucks, and a 600 box flow level, making 22 dollars an hour.

Just do your best, it's not for everyone.

packageguy

first, pay is not the best, they all know that but don't you have benefits, where can you get a part time job with benefits. 2nd if you had no union you would have no bebefits and maybe 7.50 an hour. If you don't like it leave, but you won't leave because you need benefits. they know that......... I say put your time in and become a package car driver like many of us..

brown_trousers

I just started working for UPS as a preloader part-time and man does the pay really suck. It takes me only 10 minutes to get to work but I have to cross the bridge and just the toll charge is $5.00. and I am only getting $9.50/hr. This is so sad. more than half amn hour goes to crossing the bridge. It seems like UPS starts out people part time because the Local Teamster Union does not care much for them. What I really ask for in their new contract is pay their part timers way more or lessen the work load. I have to load 3 trucks and it is only my second week. It really seems like I am not being fairly compensated for what I do. I read in 1997 they ware getting $8.50 an hour when gas was way underr $2.00/gallon and now 15 years later it is only $1 more and gas is more than $4/gallon. we need to do the math and see what is wrong here.

There is not going to be a lot sympathy for making low wages as a brand new hire. Those of us who are active in the union would rather sacrifice the instant gratification of a nice starting wage, to instead see better wage increases in the long term. If your looking for short-term temporary employment you should have went to fedex instead.

anonymous4

There is not going to be a lot sympathy for making low wages as a brand new hire. Those of us who are active in the union would rather sacrifice the instant gratification of a nice starting wage, to instead see better wage increases in the long term. If your looking for short-term temporary employment you should have went to fedex instead.

Agree completely. I whined about the fresh PT wages too when I started, but quickly realized the reason to stay was to go full time. The issue? That is near impossible right now. That needs to be fixed if there is no "instant gratification".