Part time pre load called in to work?

philmydoyle

Just file
Re: Part time pre load caledl in to work?

You can try to present that to them but.... The only thing management understands is that blue paper (grievance) and until you guys start filing on the issue that your having they will keep taking advantage of you. Uphold your contact and file.

WHYDO I

Here is the answer.

If the time sheet with the start time says OFF/LaidOff then you do not have to come in at all even if they call you 5 min 10 min before or 24 hours. off is off.

but the alternate, they can put you (or everyone) down to come in at 3:30 everyday and this is where you can stay and claim your 3.5 hours or go home. If you want to work, your protected, if not...

UPSGUY72

Here is the answer.

If the time sheet with the start time says OFF/LaidOff then you do not have to come in at all even if they call you 5 min 10 min before or 24 hours. off is off.

but the alternate, they can put you (or everyone) down to come in at 3:30 everyday and this is where you can stay and claim your 3.5 hours or go home. If you want to work, your protected, if not...

Your a permanent PT employee not a casual stop letting them treat you like one. If they don't specifically say your on a layoff file for everyday they tell you your not needed.

There is a difference between being laid off and just off. If you are being laid off they have to report that to the state and you could collect this will effect the amount they have to pay into the unemployment fund. Just being off is agreeing to take the day off.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
You should talk to a steward. But, you have the right to work the 3.5 regardless.

Hey, you want to work everyday, and have it easy? Join the safety committee. Those cats get treated real good.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Orly,
Your avatar reminds me of her.....
thumbnail.aspx

Southwestern

I worked Preload in two centers in two different geographic areas and neither used "OFF/LaidOff." Instead, they listed employees "ALO" (I've never determined what ALO stood for). In one center, management would contact the employees up to one hour after the start of their intended shift should they be needed. At the other, employees were responsible for contacting the Center in the hour proceeding their shift. The union insisted that should the employees be told they weren't needed, they were relieved for the day whereas the company insisted that they could still call the employees in up to one hour past the scheduled shift time. I never got a definite answer.

...you can stay and claim your 3.5 hours or go home. If you want to work, your protected, if not...

Of course, many managers will harass you if you claim your guarantee. I had a manager that would try to chase us out of the building after 2.5 and begin screaming 'it's a part-time job dangnamit... go work at McDonald's. See if they give you a guarantee. See if they pay you more than min. wage. See if you get benefits.' Meanwhile, his supervisors were pulling add/cuts and walking the belts... I had another that placed a large table in front of an open overhead door -- in the dead of the winter -- and made us write out the 8/5 keys continually until we reached 3.5....

Hey, you want to work everyday, and have it easy? Join the safety committee. Those cats get treated real good.

I was on the safety committee for years. I was treated like garbage and never had it easy. The contract specifies that the committee got to choose the co-chair, but management insisted they reserved that privileged, had already trained somebody and wouldn't pay to train another. I use to run the committee, planning & implementing many activities. As she soaked up every available minute, I was never compensated (other than the meetings) but I was young & really enjoyed what I did. In the most humbling moment of my career, the company wanted to fly me to a nice-destination to honor me for a specific activity I did (this was before the cut backs) but guess who management insisted got to go? Pure plagiarism. (And yes, I stopped participating after that). The second most-bitter experience of my working career.

Thebrownstreak

The second most-bitter experience of my working career.

The first being the day you walked through the doors to fill out your application

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The second most-bitter experience of my working career.

The first being the day you walked through the doors to fill out your application

When you walk in tomorrow morning turn around and look over the door. You will find the word "EXIT"---please feel free to use it if you are unhappy with your job. Your position will be filled the same day and you will be forgotten in less time than that.

Indecisi0n

When you walk in tomorrow morning turn around and look over the door. You will find the word "EXIT"---please feel free to use it if you are unhappy with your job. Your position will be filled the same day and you will be forgotten in less time than that.

Our door doesn't have an Exit sign.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Of course, many managers will harass you if you claim your guarantee. I had a manager that would try to chase us out of the building after 2.5 and begin screaming 'it's a part-time job dangnamit... go work at McDonald's. See if they give you a guarantee. See if they pay you more than min. wage. See if you get benefits.' Meanwhile, his supervisors were pulling add/cuts and walking the belts... I had another that placed a large table in front of an open overhead door -- in the dead of the winter -- and made us write out the 8/5 keys continually until we reached 3.5....

I was on the safety committee for years. I was treated like garbage and never had it easy. The contract specifies that the committee got to choose the co-chair, but management insisted they reserved that privileged, had already trained somebody and wouldn't pay to train another. I use to run the committee, planning & implementing many activities. As she soaked up every available minute, I was never compensated (other than the meetings) but I was young & really enjoyed what I did. In the most humbling moment of my career, the company wanted to fly me to a nice-destination to honor me for a specific activity I did (this was before the cut backs) but guess who management insisted got to go? Pure plagiarism. (And yes, I stopped participating after that). The second most-bitter experience of my working career.

Sure managment will harass you for anything. The problem here is they deny people hours when some people need the money. If need be, they should be reminded that this is a job where people get money from, and not a job where numbers matter to regular employees. You where hired by them, obtained senority thusly granting one 3.5. I would say that whatever they offer to a person should be fine, aslong as they are on ther clock. I said before either it be scrubbing toliets or washing cars. Its all about the hours.

As for the other, safety committe. Perhaps in the past or in different buildings it varies. I was really going on my observations on what I see now and in my building. I see safety people getting anywheres 30 - 60 mintues extra on the clock. The task varry from leaving candy on a printed paper about safety. Handing out water bottles at the gate. Having 60 mintues meetings before and after work, and having them after injuries. To discuss the report, safety issues etc.etc. And, writting safety quotes on the floors of the building with clauk. All of that and over all, the work load they get is dropped significantly.

I dont know if you where doing from managment side or the employees.

I really have a hard time gauging peoples perseption of what is hard and/ or difficult. Either at work or on this forum. For some, printing out a bunch of papers is a difficult job.

Last edited:

Southwestern

Sure managment will harass you for anything. The problem here is they deny people hours when some people need the money. If need be, they should be reminded that this is a job where people get money from, and not a job where numbers matter to regular employees. You where hired by them, obtained senority thusly granting one 3.5. I would say that whatever they offer to a person should be fine, aslong as they are on ther clock. I said before either it be scrubbing toliets or washing cars. Its all about the hours.

I disagree -- it's not management's job to care about an employee's financial well-being. That said, if the employee volunteers to do whatever's necessary to reach his 3.5, management should respect his request. Most often, there's plenty of work available... few people want the guarantee and most want to go home, so management can simply relieve them. And I always see p/t sups pulling add/cuts, re-boxing packages, processing damages & overgoods, walking the belts, etc.after they've chased the hourlys away. Bottom line is that there's no reason to harass anybody; management should be thankful there's people willing to work, because they'll encounter situation's when the opposite's true.

As for the other, safety committe. Perhaps in the past or in different buildings it varies. I was really going on my observations on what I see now and in my building. I see safety people getting anywheres 30 - 60 mintues extra on the clock... All of that and over all, the work load they get is dropped significantly.

We had a designated number of safety hours each month. ALL of our activities were done shortly before or after work--none were done on the clock, and it never effected the amount of work we did. There were only a couple of us on the Committee (on a sort of nearly 100) and that was because our co-chair made certain she got credit for every available minute. Seriously, I did most of the work -- I spent hours each week setting up the PCMs, making sure the books were caught-up, checking out the building (refilling first aid kits, writing up problems, etc.), writing up the plans, etc. -- and she took the credit for it. Like I said, I was young & stupid.

I really have a hard time gauging peoples perseption of what is hard and/ or difficult. Either at work or on this forum. For some, printing out a bunch of papers is a difficult job.

I don't think ANY job at UPS is difficult. Most people today simply can't handle manual labor.

WHYDO I

Here is the answer.

I worked it out with mgmt.
then yesterday with 4 of us laid off they could not get anyone to call back except me on Friday, So now they are just Scheduling us all to work everyday m-friend and have said they will call us up to 1 hour before if we are bumped out by a driver.

I love the inability of management to cope with difficult situations.
"oh that doesn't work, Well we will just screw you all"

I am just waiting for that day that managements forget to call or communicate with each other and there are 4 of us in and 2-3 drivers that refuse to go home...