Part-Time Preload During Peak - OT

SolidWoodPanel

Probably the Greatest American Alive
I'm losing my Peak Season Cherry!

I got a question. Some people said they started as hour as 1:00 AM last year. I'm just wondering if I have to show up so far in advance of normal starting time. I'm not trying to miss out and gain some Zzzz but I might take another job in addition to UPS. They're located fairly close by, but I wouldn't be able to come in before 3:15-3:30 AM. Most of my supervisors are pretty reasonable but I feel they might see this as a dick move on my part. Is there anything in the union contract that states I have to come in at the announced start time or that protects me and allows me to come in later.

Box Ox

Peak preload sometimes starts at 9:30-10:00 the night before at my Center. Not being able to be available until 3:00 wouldn’t fly. Plenty of other people who could work from the start.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Preload sometimes starts at 9:30-10:00 the night before at my Center. Not being able to be available until 3:00 wouldn’t fly. Plenty of other people who could work from the start.
Sounds like a :censored2:y thing to say....but that other job does nothing for me or the company. Why would I put myself at a disadvantage from the start?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I'm losing my Peak Season Cherry!

I got a question. Some people said they started as hour as 1:00 AM last year. I'm just wondering if I have to show up so far in advance of normal starting time. I'm not trying to miss out and gain some Zzzz but I might take another job in addition to UPS. They're located fairly close by, but I wouldn't be able to come in before 3:15-3:30 AM. Most of my supervisors are pretty reasonable but I feel they might see this as a dick move on my part. Is there anything in the union contract that states I have to come in at the announced start time or that protects me and allows me to come in later.

It’s peak season

Just show up whenever it’s most convenient

SolidWoodPanel

We're short on people as it is. Just had 3 recent hires quit. They couldn't load for dingus anyway. I'm on a busy 3 car pull. It's usually manageable, but there's lot of bulk and overweight on my trucks. I wasn't expecting to be working at midnight to 9 am when I took the job. Nothing part time about that.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
We're short on people as it is. Just had 3 recent hires quit. They couldn't load for dingus anyway. I'm on a busy 3 car pull. It's usually manageable, but there's lot of bulk and overweight on my trucks. I wasn't expecting to be working at midnight to 9 am when I took the job. Nothing part time about that.
It's UPS and December. What exactly did you think would happen?

TheFigurehead

Peak preload sometimes starts at 9:30-10:00 the night before at my Center. Not being able to be available until 3:00 wouldn’t fly. Plenty of other people who could work from the start.

Sure there are... that's why we have to offer a $150 a week bonus to show up, and offer prizes like iPads to employees for suckering their friends and family into signing up for seasonal work... Not to mention that, even given all of that, 3/4 of the seasonals we hire will quit within the first two weeks. If there were plenty of other people willing to work at UPS (as a permanent employee, much less seasonally) we wouldn't be chronically understaffed, even at the slowest time of year, and disastrously understaffed during peak.

Sounds like a :censored2:y thing to say....but that other job does nothing for me or the company. Why would I put myself at a disadvantage from the start?

Because someone who can't show up until 3:00 but keeps coming in > Someone who shows up on time for a week then quits.

You can pretend that inside staffing isn't a problem during this time of year, if you want, in order to give this guy a hard time... but everyone here who has worked a peak knows full well how it goes.

It's UPS and December. What exactly did you think would happen?

He probably expected to be working the hours that HR lied to him about when he took the job. That's what they do. Beyond that, why would you expect someone who hasn't, until now, worked for UPS to know how things work? He just started. I know it's difficult for us to believe, but people who don't work for UPS have no idea how it works, don't care how it works, and spend absolutely zero percent of their time thinking about UPS aside from wondering when their package will arrive.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Because someone who can't show up until 3:00 but keeps coming in > Someone who shows up on time for a week then quits.

You can pretend that inside staffing isn't a problem during this time of year, if you want, in order to give this guy a hard time... but everyone here who has worked a peak knows full well how it goes.
Wouldn't fly on any sort I've been on, and it wouldn't fly here. It sets a terrible precedent.

SolidWoodPanel

I'm well aware of the :censored2:storm that is peak, and I don't really give a damn. It's hell almost everyday here. But I can't imagine them firing me for only being able to come in 2 hours before normal start. I don't need the overtime. I come in ready to work everyday. I rarely have misloads, and I always help the slackers

Box Ox

I'm well aware of the :censored2:storm that is peak, and I don't really give a damn. It's hell almost everyday here. But I can't imagine them firing me for only being able to come in 2 hours before normal start. I don't need the overtime. I come in ready to work everyday. I rarely have misloads, and I always help the slackers

They’re gonna care when there’s a mountain of boxes piling up behind your route set for a few hours! If you can’t be there the whole time it’s ridiculous to try and stay. Lol

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
How is it that everybody that needs to leave early can’t get to work on time or calls in more than anybody else

Thinks they are the best hardest working part timer to ever walk in the door

TheFigurehead

Wouldn't fly on any sort I've been on, and it wouldn't fly here. It sets a terrible precedent.

Happens at my hub all the time. Maybe staffing is better where you are... but, as I said, mine is understaffed in March, much less the rest of the year. An employee with an imperfect availability is much more valuable than no employee at all. We hire constantly, year round... there are an endless parade of new employees who inevitably quit within a week or two. You also need to consider, as I said earlier, that when they get hired for preload, they're told they'll be working 3.5 hours a day... by the time they actually find out the hours arent what were promised, they've already been hired and trained.

SolidWoodPanel

Last season, people said they'd get smashed(with package volume) but they were often waiting around for 30-40 minutes waiting for trailers to arrive. And get smashed again. I don't see the problem if they don't have to pay me 4 hours time and a half every day. I can't say we're well managed though. I had like 75 cuts on one truck last week.

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
Don't pickup a second job this time of year. Go out after preload as a driver helper to get extra money, gain skills and area knowledge that will pay off once you start driving. Unless you want to work preload forever, then I'd probably just find two new jobs , LOL

TheFigurehead

Don't pickup a second job this time of year. Go out after preload as a driver helper to get extra money, gain skills and area knowledge that will pay off once you start driving. Unless you want to work preload forever, then I'd probably just find two new jobs , LOL

This is great advice if you want to give 12 hours a day, five to six days a week, for the next 30 years (along with your soul) to UPS. It's good money... but that's all it is... money... you'll have plenty of it, but no free time, family life, time for your kids, hobbies, friends, or anything else.

SolidWoodPanel

I don't think I'm really interested in being a driver. I already have a college degree, problem for me is, this area sucks and I can't really use it unless I want 3-4 hour commute everyday. I'm just wanting for my :censored2: father to die. Like most of the kids, we wanted to be like Mike. Well, I just wanted someone to kill my father. I didn't want to be black, or rich and famous, or the greatest basketball player of all time.