Part time "Qualified" TCD to Full time feeder.

Flex

Company says because the contract states "package car" and not driver etc, that PT TCD's cannot be red circled at our usual 85% rate. If a PT goes FT package you keep your rate but for some reason feeder is special? I think this is because there is no language on the subject. Thanks.

Overpaid Union Thug

Company says because the contract states "package car" and not driver etc, that PT TCD's cannot be red circled at our usual 85% rate. If a PT goes FT package you keep your rate but for some reason feeder is special? I think this is because there is no language on the subject. Thanks.

Sorry but I still can't get over the fact that part-timers are even going into feeders lately.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
Because they see what kind of hell life has become in package! I swear, package driving takes about as many years off your life as does smoking.

Why go there if you can balance 2 PT jobs while gaining years of service for a feed slot to open?

Flex

I have heard that this issue is deadlocked right now. Its just that for example 20 new feeders and we all started out making the 85% rate. Even PTers that have never driven, but "5,12,13,18,20 example" have had their pay cut others still at cover rate. Not in any order seniority class date nothing.

Overpaid Union Thug

Because they see what kind of hell life has become in package! I swear, package driving takes about as many years off your life as does smoking.

Why go there if you can balance 2 PT jobs while gaining years of service for a feed slot to open?
The OP mentioned being a TCD first. And many seniority full-time package drivers are turning down feeders (I wouldn't) and thats why part-timers are getting the call for feeders. Those hubs have allot of new drivers in feeders and package that have been at UPS as little as a few months. Meanwhile....the smaller buildings have package drivers with 10, 20, 30 years of service but can't get into feeders and have to watch the brand new part-timers from those hubs come into their areas and make what should be their central pickups. It's not a pleasant feeling. So, all of these new feeder drivers that have been with the company a short time are going to get very little sympathy from some of us in the extended centers.

I'm sure they have a legitimate issue and I hope its resolved in their favor but they should sit back, take a deep breath, and let the realization sink in that they are in a position that hundreds or thousands of other people at UPS would love to be in but can't be. What's happening now isn't a normal thing. It usually takes 10-20 years to get into feeders in those hubs and 10+ years for full-time package in some of them. Now its as little as a few months for either. These people that are moving up super fast need to realize what a rare opportunity this is and take advantage of it.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
I went into feeders from part time. The reason why I never went into package is because it's a :censored2: job. I did 30 days back in 2006 and hated my life. I would have rather made less money and work two jobs and be happy. I was a shifter for 8 years and I honestly believe I was more qualified to be in feeders. If feeders want package guys to come over and package needs new guys maybe they should stop treating their employees like :censored2:. I couldn't handle the job, I would have ended up knocking the managers teeth down his neck.

Flex

Feeder would rather have drivers because they have had at least some space and visibility training. But they can't get any to come or stay. FT's can't take having to work on Friday night at the least or the PT's take a gigantic pay cut.

Luckliveshere

I am a part time employee that went into feeders in less than a year. I am very blessed and lucky to have this position. I also look at this from a different perspective . I agree that some people will never have an opportunity to go feeders in their extended center ,but I also work with feeder drivers that drive right past extended centers and have a 2 hour drive into a large hub. One driver in particular clearly did his research on how many full time jobs are actually ever going to be available and how likely it would be to actually get one. But with that said that is getting off the point. The true fact of the matter as flex has stated, is that Flex obviously is/was a 30 day qualified TCD. Therefor when entering into full time as feeders this driver should be able to keep his cover pay, a driver is a driver. I personally have been told that when I came back to feeders we were being paid a cover rate because I was classified as a TCD( I never had the chance to qualify as I was used for air exception instead). I don't feel as if I deserve anything. But for example Flex may have qualified for 30 days only or may have TCD for multiple years, and now he takes a " full time" position and is punished due to lack of language in the contract. If someone has been paid cover rate for a long period of time and has been used to this money, or even if they qualified under the language that is in place under package and were only qualified 30 for 1 day after it is my opinion that said employee should be able to keep current rate of pay and let progression catch up. The company on the other hand sees there isn't any language that stops them from putting said employee through one (1) full time progression.if I were the company I would do the same as this saves them tons of money across the country. Afterall the company agreed to paying a higher rate for TCD as penalty for not making the employee full time.If you can keep money going full time package you should be able to keep money going full time ( not combo)period.

needmoreinfo

The news here is deadlocked and slated to be heard in November. My situation is 18 yrs PT then. 22.3 shifter/ pallet for just under a yr and then to feeders. Pay jumped all over the place the first few months. I'd question and file on the hourly rate bc it was not the coverage rate and they would cut another check. Came to work one day and was told I had seniority and dropped to start pay. Not even willing to count my time as 22.3 as part of my FT progression! Frustrating but I love my run and driving.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Flex

I guess there is different language for where you are? Our stewards are saying you haven't completed a either FT progression or progression I forget. So you are all SOL and start at bottom rate.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
No way Flex. The last paragraph of article 2 states that "any lesser conditions in any supplement, rider, or addendum shall be superseded by the conditions contained in this national master agreement."
With that being said, in article 41 it states that "Part Time Employees on the payroll as of July 31st, 2013 who subsequently are promoted to full-time employment under this paragraph will be red circled until such a time as the calculated progression rate exceeds that rate." And then a paragraph later "This sub-section shall supersede any provision to the contrary in any supplement, rider, or addendum." It's pretty clear.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Right. You are red circled at what ever your classified at. Looks like that was part time inside.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
The contract say "package car or feeder"

Feederquacker

The deal here in Ga is that if a PTer covered Feeder as a TCD and goes into pkg he gets the 85% of the prevailing package rate. If he goes into Feeder after being a TCD for Feeder he gets the 85%. If he was a TCD for pkg and goes into Feeder it doesn't count and you go into regular progression. The Feeder qualification is the key here.