part time seniority vs department seniority

plkl62

Can anyone tell me if offically there is such athing as department seniority? My supervisor insists that other people with less part time seniority can work more hours than me even though I have an earlier hire date. I am working the preload doing sorting. I would like to know the answer to this. I have already tlaked to the union steward, and he insists there is no such thing as department seniority.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
If your steward is aware of the situation, and has said there is no department seniority, do you want us to come in and "back up" your steward?

That's strange.

DS

Fenderbender
Welcome to the cafe'.it sounds like BS to me,I'm sure you will get some good and (bad)
answers here.My first one is to file a grievance requesting back pay from the first day they started
offering hours to a lesser seniority employee.
I really don't have much confidence in the union,but this one seems like a no brainer.

plkl62

I have filed a grievance so I am going to see what happens. I know this is a no brainer but, I would just like to see perspective on this issue.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Seniority is everything . It is your trump card ! Sups like to make up rules as they go along . If you know the sort and have the most seniority it is a no branier . You probably have more time in than the kid in the UPS polo who is making up the rules .LOL
PS in our Hub the seniority list goes across the three shifts let alone area.

ibt

At the end of each week your hours should total more then less senior employees.Inform company and if not adjusted file grievance. This info is based on cases I handled as ba and president of local union

UPSGUY72

Can anyone tell me if offically there is such athing as department seniority? My supervisor insists that other people with less part time seniority can work more hours than me even though I have an earlier hire date. I am working the preload doing sorting. I would like to know the answer to this. I have already tlaked to the union steward, and he insists there is no such thing as department seniority.

Need more info need. Who getting more hours the guys loading the cars ?? however I would bet your complain because the primary finishes a little before the people loading the cars and when the primary is done your SUP says you can leave.

The problem your going to have is that they aren't going to send the guy loading 4 cars home and stick you in there to finish up. They are going claim that it could impact making service. The guy loading the the car knows where all the package go some packages might have a pal to a specific area but get put somewhere else because they are bulk stops or are the first stop that the driver stops at. Also if there are misloads who are they going to blame ???

Watch out what you wish for you could find yourself loading cars...

I too work the preload as a sorter the 10 to 15 minutes a day extra time the loader got really isn't worth the hassle of making sure each package gets put into the right car and trying to keep up with the belt...

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Seniority is everything . It is your trump card ! Sups like to make up rules as they go along . If you know the sort and have the most seniority it is a no branier . You probably have more time in than the kid in the UPS polo who is making up the rules .LOL
PS in our Hub the seniority list goes across the three shifts let alone area.
Not in our hub. Preload is considered a separate operation, and the seniority lists/rights/etc are kept separate from the rest of the hub operations.

For ex: last year during Christmas I worked the hub Day sort on a Sunday. I am/was M-friend and it was time and a half, 6th punch by our supplement. Someone from the hub with more seniority tried to file a grievance on a few of us working, because he had more seniority and was not offered, however he was not part of the preload operation, he was hub. It didn't fly.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Can anyone tell me if offically there is such athing as department seniority? My supervisor insists that other people with less part time seniority can work more hours than me even though I have an earlier hire date.

Are you trying to exercise your seniority... to bump a junior person out of their job... before they complete their assigned work ?

-Bug-

brown_trousers

Are you trying to exercise your seniority... to bump a junior person out of their job... before they complete their assigned work ?

-Bug-

That what is sounds like...

I'd say the OP is out of luck on this one. If he wants to stay as late as another position like a sorter, then he need to bid into a sorting job. If he wants to stay as late as a pick-off, he needs to bid into a pick-off job. And so on, and so on...

plkl62

The people that are getting the more hours are the people in my department, the union steward informed me that other peole in this location are having the same problem the problem started after people from the twilight were moved to the preload.

Last edited by a moderator:

plkl62

The people that are getting the more hours are the people in my department, the union steward informed me that other peole in this location are having the same problem the problem started after people from the twilight were moved to the preload. No I am not trying to bump a person out of there job befroe there work is finished.

UPSGUY72

The people that are getting the more hours are the people in my department, the union steward informed me that other peole in this location are having the same problem the problem started after people from the twilight were moved to the preload. No I am not trying to bump a person out of there job befroe there work is finished.

So there are other sorters with less seniority working more than you ??? Who is working more than you. What is there job description ??? What do you mean by your department ? Do you mean the primary or the preload as a whole ?

plkl62

I filed a grievance and than all of the sudden they gave me a verbal commitment to what I want which in my case will be an earlier start time and I get to stay later. They asked me to drop the grievance which I did. And I just wait and see how it goes

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Don't drop your grievance they pushed u as far as they could hoping you would let this go on. Then you file and they decide to give u a "verbal" promise which means nothing. Tell them tough they should of honored your request from the get go now you need to file for all the back pay you are owed.

Kis124

except for the sort isle and loading/pick off, I can bump any lesser seniority in the primary unload. I usually don't but I can if I want. My sup knows this and is usually ok with it