part time sup making us hub bag smalls instead of fine sorting

KBlakk

Overworked & Underpaid
I personally live by the motto a bad manager makes his numbers but a good manager creates ways for his people to make his numbers for him/herself. Input from the boots on the ground is vital to this process, I wish you luck in resolving this matter in a a way that is beneficial for both sides.

mike42064

longtimecomin if you were to read the whole post i explained that already, they are hub bagging to a trailer that doesn't pull from the building until 1am, our sort is wrapped up by 10pm. If it was even close to disrupting service i wouldn't file, he is doing it specifically for better production numbers and taking time away from us who have worked there for more then 10 years and barely get 3 1/2 hours a night, they no longer promote to full time in our building so yes people realize they have made mistakes by staying with a job that had held up their lives and beat up their bodies. but since you sound like a manager i know "we should be lucky we have a job in this economy".

formymax

Are you ****ing serious right now? THIS is what you want to waste people's time with? Seems to me you are looking for something to grieve.

He's doing it to ensure the service of the packages. A snowball will have a better chance passing through hell than you do convincing someone otherwise. Please, don't waste everyone's time with a petty grievance that you won't win. There are much worse things that are happening around you that need more attention than this....

InsideUPS

Filed a grievance for my manager trying to improve his numbers and avoid paying us over time by having us hub bag smalls instead of location specific sorting like we usually do, any advice on this would be appreciated. He's done it two days in a row and I've already given him one grievance with more to come because he's transferring our work to a bigger hub instead of paying us to do it.

Mike, I wish you all the best and admire your efforts. That said, I personally believe that you will face some difficult challenges on this one.

Unfortunately, the reality is that UPS is probably spending more money by sending these packages on considering they will now be double and triple handled. While your local manager's numbers may improve, the receiving center's productivity may suffer. Once the receiving center finally realizes they are being adversely affected by the additional hub bagged smalls....the work will most likely return to your center. UPS is one of the few companies that will spend a dollar to save a dime.

beentheredonethat

UPS is one of the few companies that will spend a dollar to save a dime.
I don't disagree that there are some mgmt that make poor long term decisions to improve their numbers. I see it happen often. However, I think it's funny how you put it. We've been in business for 106 years and make billions in profit a year, yet we are one of the few that spend a dollar to save a dime. Does that mean other companies spend a hundred dollars to save a dime?

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
So you want to file a grievance for your manager trying to make his operation better on his reports? For what? Are you not getting paid your guarantee of 3.5? If you aren't (for some odd reason) then you have a case. If you are getting paid your 3.5, you have nothing. You can't grieve operation decisions a manager has the authority to make when it has nothing to do with the union work. He's getting union people to move boxes to union drivers to drive to a different set of union workers.

You don't have a case. Any attempt to make it one is a stretch.

Now, before he started to move this volume.....was everyone always getting overtime? To the point where it seems as if you needed another employee working? If that's the case, and you can prove he's diverting this volume to avoid hiring another hourly, then you would have a case there too. But if there was no significant amount of OT before he started diverting, then you still don't have a case. Grieve something more important if that grievance form is burning a hole in your pocket.