Part time Supervisor

I was asked if I wanted to become a part time supervisor and to take the test to do so. I'm wondering if it's worth it or not. I understand you are no longer in the union and no more benefits. I was told the pay is better. I'm wondering how it was from people who had experience doing it.

It depends on how much you're willing to get pushed around by management. You have no union protection or contract, pension, and benefits that come close to what your unionized counterparts have.

For one or two dollars more and maybe an extra hour a day.
Your call.

Tired Driver

Sisyphus had it easy.
Look how your part time supervisors are treated. If you do not want to driver or too far down on the list, it could be a good move. It all depends on how the center manager treats their PT Sups. I adveraged 45 hours a week based on 25 hours with no compensation and watched 9 people with less seniority go driving before me. Management told me that going PT Sup was the fastest way to go driving. That was their first lie.

INTRIGUED SUPERVISOR

I'm touching packages because I'm training!!!!
Current PT SUP here. I'm going to through a lot of info at you.

I started as a preloader and took a PT SUP position. Once you switch you get a pay bump (approx $3-4), guaranteed 27.5 hours a week, and you'll have to start paying for insurance. You also will lose your union status.

Now depending on your career goals being in management can benefit you if you have a degree and are willing to move. These two things can get you into FT SUP very quickly. If not you could be stuck as PT SUP for while. After about a year of chasing a FT job I found out that making the switch to management was a mistake. I don't have a degree, and I'm not in a position to move. So getting promoted internally would take years and even if there is an open slot for FT that doesn't mean the manager won't bring someone in from a different hub.

To get back into the hourly side you would have to be an outside hire. The outside hire is only eligible after 6 hourly employees are moved up to driver. So once again that could take years.

Luckily enough I'll finally be getting my chance on the road next week. I get to be the outside hire and get back into hourly position but I've had to wait 5 years for this moment. If I would have stayed hourly when I first got hired on I would have been a driver a year ago.

Hopefully that gives you a little insight.

Mr. Sir

Box slinger
IMG_1282.JPG