Ups123456

I'm a 5 year full-time package car driver with 10 years total service wanting to go back to college and finish my computer science degree. I'm wondering if there is a way to get management and the union to agree so I can go back to preload. There are plenty of drivers that get scheduled off right now and cover drivers that want to work. Thoughts?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm a 5 year full-time package car driver with 10 years total service wanting to go back to college and finish my computer science degree. I'm wondering if there is a way to get management and the union to agree so I can go back to preload. There are plenty of drivers that get scheduled off right now and cover drivers that want to work. Thoughts?

I appreciate what you are trying to do here but it just ain't gonna happen.

luckster

I make my 1 year as a PT air driver in Jan. I know some casuals gets offered a permanent FT job after peak, but will UPS offer casual FT position knowing there are drivers waiting their turn to sign the bid sheet when they make their one year, uh lets say by end of January?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
AA8765DC-0DC1-44BA-9767-E3F35F4BD964.gif
I make my 1 year as a PT air driver in Jan. I know some casuals gets offered a permanent FT job after peak, but will UPS offer casual FT position knowing there are drivers waiting their turn to sign the bid sheet when they make their one year, uh lets say by end of January?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

Not exactly the thread for this question, but if your local or region has a rule that says once you become an air driver you have to be an air driver for a year before going ground, and you miss an opportunity to go ground, then you are out of luck until the next opening after you get your year in. It's the chance you take. I hope that's a misunderstanding, because that sounds like a terrible rule. As for the casuals, I assume you mean seasonal? One in 7 ground positions get filled by outside hires, so you wouldn't get that opening anyway. If they tried to hire more than one in 7 outside, then you have grounds for a grievance.

luckster

Not exactly the thread for this question, but if your local or region has a rule that says once you become an air driver you have to be an air driver for a year before going ground, and you miss an opportunity to go ground, then you are out of luck until the next opening after you get your year in. It's the chance you take. I hope that's a misunderstanding, because that sounds like a terrible rule. As for the casuals, I assume you mean seasonal? One in 7 ground positions get filled by outside hires, so you wouldn't get that opening anyway. If they tried to hire more than one in 7 outside, then you have grounds for a grievance.
Thanks I hope they'll be opening when I make my one year by end of Jan . I just hope the seasonal drivers who will be kept doesn't take all the openings

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Thanks I hope they'll be opening when I make my one year by end of Jan . I just hope the seasonal drivers who will be kept doesn't take all the openings

You'll want to check with your union rep as far as all the rules, including that one year thing, but the only way they can hire that many outsiders is if there aren't enough insiders on the list. Always have your name on the list, even if you don't think you're eligible.

Heavy Package

Talk to HR. Once you complete your 2-year online associates degree in computer science please report to UPS IT support in New Jersey. The Orion Improvement Team is waiting for you.

dork-on-computer.jpg

AlliSeeisBrown

They had me quit, then I reapplied immediately, and they rehired me as a PH, then made me an air driver. Got almost a 2 week vacation, but you will lose your benefits. Fortunately, I have benefits with my new primary job.

DeeGood

Banned
It must be very hard to combine a work of driver with college, really. I faced just the same problem last year, but I was working as a software tester remotely, 4 hours a day and never more. I felt veeery exhausted even on weekends but I survived lol, happily it lasted one year only. Here are not bad tips how to cope with similar issues at college, I personally found many good advices here.