Part time vacation time help

Deacon

Whats up everyone? Long time lurker, finally decided to sign up.

I've worked for UPS for 11 years part time now and recently just went to driving school this past year. I drove for peak season, roughly 3.5 weeks of it. Now I'm being told I need to take my vacation time with the drivers even though I haven't had my 30 day driver period (peak season is all free time and not counted towards that is what I understand). So how am I being forced to take it with full time drivers?

Also, two other guys that have worked part time there for 4-5 years were in the same spot last year and were able to take their vacation with their respective sorts. I talked to my supervisor and was told it was a one time thing and he will not being allowing that this year. Is there anything I can do about this? Would hate to drop to the bottom of seniority after being on top for so long over 3 weeks of driving.

Thanks for any help!

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Whats up everyone? Long time lurker, finally decided to sign up.

I've worked for UPS for 11 years part time now and recently just went to driving school this past year. I drove for peak season, roughly 3.5 weeks of it. Now I'm being told I need to take my vacation time with the drivers even though I haven't had my 30 day driver period (peak season is all free time and not counted towards that is what I understand). So how am I being forced to take it with full time drivers?

Also, two other guys that have worked part time there for 4-5 years were in the same spot last year and were able to take their vacation with their respective sorts. I talked to my supervisor and was told it was a one time thing and he will not being allowing that this year. Is there anything I can do about this? Would hate to drop to the bottom of seniority after being on top for so long over 3 weeks of driving.

Thanks for any help!
Yes but you're picking vacations which by the time you take them...you will have qualified, most likely, no?

Deacon

There has been nothing mentioned to me about getting qualified. The last day I delivered anything was Dec. 31st and after that they have been apparently skipping my name when they need a driver because in early January I've seen drivers they hired off the street come in from driving at night.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

So you're on the sort still? The only way this makes sense is if you are considered a Sup Group 1 which is driver and the anticipate you driving.

Just for the record peak isn't necessarily considered a free period. We qualified a couple guys in my center during peak. Even if they did count your days towards qualifying you would still be short 5 or 6 days.

clean hairy

3.5 weeks would be well below the threshold to make book no matter what local.
If he is being told to take his vacations from the Driver list, and he is considered to be a Driver, then he should get his guarantee of 8 per day.
Question he should ask "am I full time or Part Time? If full time, then where is my 8 hours per day? If Part Time, then I will take my vacations off the Part Time list"

By The Book

If your still on the part time seniority list in your building you pick with them. Was the peak driving the only driving you've done with ups or have you driven utility and air in the past?

By The Book

Peak was the only time I drove.
You should be on the part time seniority list, check it out. These off the street hires, did they go thru the 30 day qualifying and become seniority drivers. They should only take 1 off the street for every 6 hired from the inside.

Deacon

No the off street hires haven't done the 30 days either and our center hasn't updated the seniority list in two years.

Deacon

I'm not sure, I haven't mentioned it to him yet. Thought my boss would be a little more flexible than he was and I could avoid turning this into a huge deal. Looks like I'm going to have to though if I want this solved.