Part timer delivers ground pkgs mid shift.

cudwortho

I'm a part timer on local sort and work from 5pm-10pm. I didn't sign up for seasonal or vacation day coverage. I was asked to deliver ground pkgs @ 8pm and finished @10pm then finished my local sort job around midnight. I did get paid full drivers pay for the entire day, but my question is should I have received overtime drivers pay after 5 hrs? Just to clarify I did start my local sort duties @ 5pm. Thanks.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Varies by supplement, but in my area once you report to work as a cover driver you're guaranteed an 8 hour day with OT after 8 hours and that overrides your usual OT rate after 5 hours as a PT'er.

Based on that, I would say you should have been guaranteed a full 8 hour day in lieu of OT after 5 hours. Never heard of someone getting pulled to run ground at 8:00 PM though -- that's a new one.

PT Car Washer

I am assuming he is air qualified as an Air Exception/Saturday driver under Art 40. He would be paid top driver rate for delivering ground for all hours worked while driving. No 8 hour guarantee. Happens to me all the time.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I think what he's thinking of is that if the Air driver delivers one piece of ground he/she get paid top rate for the day.
So do you want a supervisor to deliver the ground package or a dues paying Union member? I delivered ground everyday this week. We also have like 6 drivers trying to qualify.

I would much rather have an hourly do it but it would be absurd to state that an air driver delivering just one ground package is automatically FT qualified.

cudwortho

I am air qualified and deliver air most Saturdays. We had several missed pkgs that day do to the preload screwing up. So they asked me to run a few of em when some of the drivers came in.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am air qualified and deliver air most Saturdays. We had several missed pkgs that day do to the preload screwing up. So they asked me to run a few of em when some of the drivers came in.

Do you think running off a few ground packages makes you qualified to be a FT driver with your own route?