Part timer going into feeder coverage.

Part time employee who also drives air. I was the only person to sign the tractor trailer school intent sheet. Denied the first time, they re-posted and was the only person to sign again. Filed a grievance.
I am being told by both union and labor that they don't have to accept part time employees, and that if they do I would have to have a cdl prior to attending school. I currently have a class B CDL and have passed the written for class A with doubles.

My question: This obviously has happened in other centers, so, any other central states teamsters that have been in this same situation?

barnyard

KTM rider
I was in the same position way back when. I signed a feeder school sheet and the bosses left it up until a FT person signed it. If you are allowed to sign, once you make feeder seniority, if there is no feeder work, they have to let you work in package or on a cover job.

I am guessing that they do not want to create the FT package job for when you are not working feeders.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Part time employee who also drives air. I was the only person to sign the tractor trailer school intent sheet. Denied the first time, they re-posted and was the only person to sign again. Filed a grievance.
I am being told by both union and labor that they don't have to accept part time employees, and that if they do I would have to have a cdl prior to attending school. I currently have a class B CDL and have passed the written for class A with doubles.

My question: This obviously has happened in other centers, so, any other central states teamsters that have been in this same situation?
In Wisconsin part timers have to get their class A cdl on their own and then put in for a classification transfer.

LeadBelly

Banned

Tell your ba to look at local 20. They had a part timer get trained. Merry Christmas, you take it from there.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
I was in the same position way back when. I signed a feeder school sheet and the bosses left it up until a FT person signed it. If you are allowed to sign, once you make feeder seniority, if there is no feeder work, they have to let you work in package or on a cover job.

I am guessing that they do not want to create the FT package job for when you are not working feeders.

Where I am only super Q people are guaranteed a job in package. As soon as RTD drivers start training they kick all the Q list people back to feeders or inside the building if there isn't enough work.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

It's going to depend on your Local.

Back in the late 90's (my Local) the company tried it.

The company swears they will never allow it again.

Reason being, a majority of the ones that qualified had attendance issues.

It's hard to go from 3.5 hours a day, to 10 or 12 regularly.

There were some success stories, but the company thought it was a hassle.

On the flip side....

My Local has a MOU to allow 22.3 employees the opportunity.

(without the 1 year safe driving clause)

-Bug-

It's going to depend on your Local.

Back in the late 90's (my Local) the company tried it.

The company swears they will never allow it again.

Reason being, a majority of the ones that qualified had attendance issues.

It's hard to go from 3.5 hours a day, to 10 or 12 regularly.

There were some success stories, but the company thought it was a hassle.

On the flip side....

My Local has a MOU to allow 22.3 employees the opportunity.

(without the 1 year safe driving clause)

-Bug-
That's kind of what I am running into as well. We had a couple guys from a nearby center go from part time to feeder coverage, they weren't getting enough work so they left UPS to work OTR. I understand where the company is coming from, they obviously have had issues before.
My argument is according to Article 3 Section 14, I meet all the requirements to be considered for tractor trailer school. According to the contract UPS has to furnish the necessary equipment and instructors.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
My argument is according to Article 3 Section 14, I meet all the requirements to be considered for tractor trailer school. According to the contract UPS has to furnish the necessary equipment and instructors.

Almost.

Article 3 Section 14, has always meant full-time pkg car drivers.

There is one caveat.

"Before hiring from the outside, the Employer will consider other employees to fill tractor-trailer openings if they meet the same criteria as those employees hired from the outside."

https://teamster.org/sites/teamster.org/files/06242014_77983_central_region-final.pdf

So there is a 2 part test. (so to speak)

You would need to already have a class A cdl, with OTR experience.

And then, the company only has to consider it.

Keep trying.

It has been done before.

My Local.... and @LeadBelly pointed out Local 20.

Good luck.

-Bug-

Almost.

Article 3 Section 14, has always meant full-time pkg car drivers.

There is one caveat.

"Before hiring from the outside, the Employer will consider other employees to fill tractor-trailer openings if they meet the same criteria as those employees hired from the outside."

https://teamster.org/sites/teamster.org/files/06242014_77983_central_region-final.pdf

So there is a 2 part test. (so to speak)

You would need to already have a class A cdl, with OTR experience.

And then, the company only has to consider it.

Keep trying.

It has been done before.

My Local.... and @LeadBelly pointed out Local 20.

Good luck.

-Bug-
Guess I am a little bit confused. I dont see where it says you have to be full time, the only requirement I see is that you have 1 year safe driving. I have drove air for 13 years no accidents.
Am I reading this wrong?

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I am assuming they are requiring 1 year of FT safe driving.
I applaud you that you have drove PT for 13 years without an accident.
Being out on the road FT, delivering 150+ stops, and not having an accident carries more weight than running early AM's.

I'm not trying to diminish your achievement but just kind of pushing UPS's view of that requirement.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Guess I am a little bit confused. I dont see where it says you have to be full time, the only requirement I see is that you have 1 year safe driving. I have drove air for 13 years no accidents.
Am I reading this wrong?

The language pre-dates air drivers.

So, full-time package car drivers would be the only drivers that

would have 1 year safe driving.

^^

This section wasn't added until 1990.

So even though the article doesn't read full-time drivers.... that's what it means.

-Bug-

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Do you know how to double-clutch? Did you have the air brake endorsement with your class B?

If you had both of those I would ask the feeder manager to give you a road test. If you don't have that experience they would basically be starting with a new trainee and we all know management likes to do as little work as possible.

govols019

You smell that?
Feeder supervisors would rather train a driver with no experience...no bad habits to break.

We have two part time cover feeder drivers in our building.

Over 70

Feeder supervisors would rather train a driver with no experience...no bad habits to break.

We have two part time cover feeder drivers in our building.

200w (11).gif