Part Timer needs help

So I was hired as a part time Pre loader, and have been there about a week now. I went to Training on Oct 31'st and my first day was Nov 2nd. Worked the 3rd as well. On the 4th I became violently ill, got no sleep, and was up all night being sick. So I had to call in on my 3rd day. Im wondering how this will affect my employment, only being there really less then a week and having to call in.

second question is, do you guys/gals think they might be willing to move me to a different spot within the company if I were not able to "meet there expectations"? My line supervisor told me I have to be able to split and fill 2 trucks, and not have any packages on the ground unless there RDC, or you know like a large qty stop. Problem is I have a truck that will always have at least 50+ packages going to the first stop, thus having to wait until the very end to load them all. Getting told I have to be able to keep up on something that doesn't seem possible is quite frustrating....Although I suppose they can't really justify firing me on peak season for not being able to do something they put me on...

ChadBrunn

So ya only split and load 2 trucks? That's easiest job on the belt. I have to load 4 trucka and split the belt.

UPSGUY72

Your are seasonal help they are going to let you go on or before Dec 24. If you want to have a chance to become a permanent PT employee you need to show up the work sick or not and on time. IF you are to sick to work they will send you home. UPS doesn't care why you called in they need a body to do the work.

Don't think peak is going to stop them from firing you there a lot of other people out there waiting to get your job. You need to do the job they tell you to the best of your ability if you can't they will put you in the primary unloading trailers if you can't make it there out the door you go.

I think I'd be fine as a unloader (what I applied for was night unloading(got put on pre LOAD) lol) at least there its just constant movement. With loading the trucks, I'm not able to even get in and out of the truck before the split gets ****ed.

JonFrum

Your are seasonal help they are going to let you go on or before Dec 24. If you want to have a chance to become a permanent PT employee you need to show up the work sick or not and on time. IF you are to sick to work they will send you home. UPS doesn't care why you called in they need a body to do the work.

Don't think peak is going to stop them from firing you there a lot of other people out there waiting to get your job. You need to do the job they tell you to the best of your ability if you can't they will put you in the primary unloading trailers if you can't make it there out the door you go.
Very bad advice to a poster who, "became violently ill, got no sleep, and was up all night being sick."

UPSGUY72

Very bad advice to a poster who, "became violently ill, got no sleep, and was up all night being sick."

IF he wants a chance at a permanent job its good advice. UPS doesn't want to hear your excuses why you didn't show up during peak. They have heard them all before are not going to believe anything you tell them true or not. I would have showed up they would have sent me home but at least they now I wanted to work.

You call during peak as a seasonal person they just think that you had other things to do or just don't care about the job that much and are put on the
no-permanent hire list in the back of there heads.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
It is unsafe to work sick. You are weak, distracted, miserable and perhaps even hallucinating your fever is above 102 or 103. It is unsafe to yourself and everyone around you. Physical activity is the worst thing you can do to your body, to improve.

upsguy is right--stupid as it sounds, it is best to show up and then get sent home. A little vomit on the sup's shoes tends to seal the deal.
IF he wants a chance at a permanent job its good advice. UPS doesn't want to hear your excuses why you didn't show up during peak. They have heard them all before are not going to believe anything you tell them true or not. I would have showed up they would have sent me home but at least they now I wanted to work.

You call during peak as a seasonal person they just think that you had other things to do or just don't care about the job that much and are put on the
no-permanent hire list in the back of there heads.
I cannot disagree more. If you are legimately sick, throwing up, fever, in terrible shape, YOU SHOULD NOT BE ANYWHERE BUT BED OR DR/HOSPITAL.

If your company requires you to come to work in these conditions, is that a job you are going to WANT to keep? I thought UPS promotes healthy lifestyles in their "habits"? Is that fair to someone, promoting a healthy lifestyle and well being?

No.

Thanks for all the responses guys, I agree and disagree with both sides. I see what UPSguy is saying and agree with it. But also exactly what Sleeve_meet_heart said, If im sick (and bieleve me I was), I should NOT go in and risk getting every single person on my belt sick by touching every package they touch. Also It wasnt a throwing up situation, I had that my first day(didn't eat before my shift) I ended up puking 3 times, my line supervisor said I should go home that he could take care of the rest. I stayed and finished the day, to show them i wasnt just trying to get out of work.