Part-timers have all the power. They just don’t know it. Yet.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Do Part-timers want a better contract? If they do then IMO part-timers need to sub organize their power, their power that exists in their numbers.

By their numbers alone, if organized in unified solidarity, UPS Teamster part-timers could and should write their own and everyone else’s ticket when it comes to the UPS Master Collective bargaining agreements.

One problem is they don’t know of the power that they have in their numbers. The numbers to overwhelmingly out vote Full-time UPS Teamsters on National issues.

Apathy is another problem but maybe the apathy would decrease if they were actually educated about this power and then respected for the power that they hold.

If all part-timers showed solidarity and voted, part-timers could name their conditions and nobody could do a thing about it.

IMO UPS Full-timers fear a part-time work force actively and fully involved in the Union by uniting and voting in solidarity.

100% Part-time voting should be the goal and I believe full-timers greatly fear this possibility.

I believe if UPS Teamster Part-timers were to grow into their power within the Teamsters at UPS represented by their sheer numbers the UPS Teamsters would be more effectively and fairly represented.

Part-time stewards, do you fully recognize and educate your members of the importance and powerful position that part-timers truly hold by their sheer numbers?

Or

Are you convinced as many want to believe that the part-timers are not important in UPS Teamsters Politics and issues?

Do Part-timers want a better contract? If they do then IMO part-timers need to sub organize their power, their power that exists in their numbers.

By their numbers alone, if organized in unified solidarity, UPS Teamster part-timers could and should write their own and everyone else’s ticket when it comes to the UPS Master Collective bargaining agreements.

One problem is they don’t know of the power that they have in their numbers. The numbers to overwhelmingly out vote Full-time UPS Teamsters on National issues.

Apathy is another problem but maybe the apathy would decrease if they were actually educated about this power and then respected for the power that they hold.

If all part-timers showed solidarity and voted, part-timers could name their conditions and nobody could do a thing about it.

IMO UPS Full-timers fear a part-time work force actively and fully involved in the Union by uniting and voting in solidarity.

100% Part-time voting should be the goal and I believe full-timers greatly fear this possibility.

I believe if UPS Teamster Part-timers were to grow into their power within the Teamsters at UPS represented by their sheer numbers the UPS Teamsters would be more effectively and fairly represented.

Part-time stewards, do you fully recognize and educate your members of the importance and powerful position that part-timers truly hold by their sheer numbers?

Or

Are you convinced as many want to believe that the part-timers are not important in UPS Teamsters Politics and issues?
It's a nice thought but you're retired so really is not concern you my friend

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
This sounds suspiciously like a divide and conquer technique. An attempt to agitate the members. It won't work. Part timers are almost entirely transient. Meaning they either Don't stick around, or they move on to full time asap. The percentage of career part timers is much smaller. Too small to have any impact on the contract, which is why we have to look out for them. If we don't, the company won't do what is necessary to properly staff the part time operations, which means we get forced in to do extra work.

This sounds suspiciously like a divide and conquer technique. An attempt to agitate the members. It won't work. Part timers are almost entirely transient. Meaning they either Don't stick around, or they move on to full time asap. The percentage of career part timers is much smaller. Too small to have any impact on the contract, which is why we have to look out for them. If we don't, the company won't do what is necessary to properly staff the part time operations, which means we get forced in to do extra work.
From what I have seen in my building it is the PT sups who get all of the extra work. Our PT Steward has done a lot to try and make management properly staff the operation by starting the sort earlier but too many PT employees have other commitments like another job or school or day care. Falls on the PT sups to perform hourly work. Grievances are filed and if you are lucky the labor manager might offer you 10 cents on the Dollar to settle.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
From what I have seen in my building it is the PT sups who get all of the extra work. Our PT Steward has done a lot to try and make management properly staff the operation by starting the sort earlier but too many PT employees have other commitments like another job or school or day care. Falls on the PT sups to perform hourly work. Grievances are filed and if you are lucky the labor manager might offer you 10 cents on the Dollar to settle.

Each of the grievances should include proper staffing as part of the remedy sought. And the settlement should be what is owed, double time. Anything less should be refused, and a ULP filed if necessary.

Each of the grievances should include proper staffing as part of the remedy sought. And the settlement should be what is owed, double time. Anything less should be refused, and a ULP filed if necessary.
Most of us don't sit in grievance hearings everyday and only have a basic idea of how the contract and grievance process works. Most of us depend on our Stewards and especially our BA to defend the contract. When the BA just sits in a grievance hearing and lets the labor manager, who is hand picked for their skills and trained in intimidation tactics, run the hearing. It definitely discourages anyone to file another grievance. I certainly hope contract negotiations turn out better than grievance hearings.

Thebrownblob

Most of us don't sit in grievance hearings everyday and only have a basic idea of how the contract and grievance process works. Most of us depend on our Stewards and especially our BA to defend the contract. When the BA just sits in a grievance hearing and lets the labor manager, who is hand picked for their skills and trained in intimidation tactics, run the hearing. It definitely discourages anyone to file another grievance. I certainly hope contract negotiations turn out better than grievance hearings.
If you don’t sit in these hearings how do you know that’s happening?

2Down2Many2Go

I've always wondered.....who pays the labor manager, and how can he or she be neutral 🤔

Thebrownblob

It’s really difficult to know exactly what’s going on there, here if they exhaust a list and they get everyone that wants to work management is allowed to work without grievances. If that’s not the case and management is working there should be no settlements at the local level. It should be taken to the next level for a panel hearing. Occasionally that gets referred back again but then if it happens again take it back to the panel.

2Down2Many2Go

Nothing, he does side with the company every time, it’s the business agents job and the Steward to prove the case. If neither side can come to an agreement it’s deadlocked and goes to the next level.
Copy that, I never never knew just always wondered who pays the LM. So at a panel hearing is it the same company shill ?