Party after retiremment

brownboxman

My last day is July 31st. 4 months 29 days but who is counting? Any of you retirees have a party on your way out? I am not talking the cake thing the last morning at work. I mean one where you invite family and friends to celebrate a milestone. I am thinking of having one and inviting family, friends, co-workers, and customers. Any thoughts?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our on-car, who was a former driver, retired this past summer,and we had a party similar to what you talked about.

I still have 6 years to go but I plan to keep mine as low-key as possible with just immediate family and a few friends.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
We had a guy retire and his family threw him a nice party, with family, neighbors, co workers, and other friends. It was very nice. Yrs ago a close driver friend of mine retired and we threw him a party. No one has time to do that anymore. But I think we should make time.
I dont know what I will have, probably a big bash with me, my husband and my dogs:grouphug:

over9five

Staff member
We had a guy retire and his family threw him a nice party, with family, neighbors, co workers, and other friends. It was very nice. Yrs ago a close driver friend of mine retired and we threw him a party. No one has time to do that anymore. But I think we should make time.
I dont know what I will have, probably a big bash with me, my husband and my dogs, Ovah and wifey:grouphug:

fixed it for you

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I did not see retirement as a "party" reason ... I just changed my focus from UPS to photography.
I'm not a party person ... I rarely attend any party and I have not had a party in 20 years.
So in my case, the answer is no ... don't see any reason to expend money, effort and time on something I don't particularly enjoy (party).
Not only that ... when you have a party, you are advertising to the world that you have "so much free time" you can do things for them that you could not do before. Think church!

I had a nice get together at UPS to celebrate of about 80 people and I did enjoy that so maybe I'll change my attitude towards "get togethers".

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Most of our drivers that retire just seem to go away and we never hear anything about them. A couple of them had a group of drivers get together along with their wives and they go out and have dinner together. Thats what I would like to do when I go. We have a few guys in my Center that were there 28 years ago when I started, and most of us are talking about retirement now. It would be nice to have one big bash to honor several at the same time.

Bad Gas!

My last day is July 31st. 4 months 29 days but who is counting? Any of you retirees have a party on your way out? I am not talking the cake thing the last morning at work. I mean one where you invite family and friends to celebrate a milestone. I am thinking of having one and inviting family, friends, co-workers, and customers. Any thoughts?

It's has to be a good feeling to see the retirement light at the end of the tunnell..

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
My last day is July 31st. 4 months 29 days but who is counting?

I just realized that date is when the current contract expires. What if the new contract is somehow better for retirees than the present one? The details are one of the things that I am waiting for before I make my decision about maybe going out this year.

trickpony1

I just realized that date is when the current contract expires. What if the new contract is somehow better for retirees than the present one? The details are one of the things that I am waiting for before I make my decision about maybe going out this year.

There are alot of people thinking this way.
I'm told you can change your mind at the last minute. The company can't make you retire.
Do you really think anything is gonna get "better"?
My concern is........what if I work into the next contract and then retire?.......then I get a letter or phone call saying, "....oh, but trickster......you retired under the new contract, not the old one so you basically screwed yourself.".
Before you say, "....oh, but trickster, this wouldn't happen"......really?.....look who we are dealing with.

rod

Retired 22 years
My wife thru me a retirment party they still talk about around here 11 years later. Pig Roast- kegs of beer- circus tent-camping- 2 day event. The finale was the bonfire on Saturday night where I burned loads of brown clothes in the fire. I had tried to turn them in my last week but the boss said he had no use for them. There had to be 4 dozen long and short sleeve shirts plus many pairs of pants and loads of UPS socks. It helped that one of my best friends owns a beer distribution business so he kept calling his guys at the warehouse and having them run us out more kegs. When I cleaned up after the party on Sunday afternoon I had a whole pickup truck load of garbage (including the pig carcus so I hauled it all to town and dumped it in the UPS dumpster. (it filled their empty dumpster almost up). I heard later on that the center manager was totally pissed at me and had them lock up the dumpster with a chain for many weeks after that.
My advise to you is throw a big party---you deserve it.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I cant think of a better reason for a big /blow the doors out party. But then I cant think of a bad reason for a party. There are none. I had a Daytona party last week, think I will have a Phoenix party tomorrow. Only two people came but I enjoy the cooking and the party atmosphere. it makes you feel alive.

brownboxman

Thanks for the feedback. I actually don't retire until November 9th but will be on vacation from August 1st till then. So I plan on watching the contract very closely. I am planning on a party I think it is important to celebrate life events!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
And I agree, you only give 1/3 of your life to a company, or an endeavor usually once. It should be celebrated.

Cool! Does this mean I am going to live until 120?

PS - I did not give my life to UPS. I exchanged time and effort for money, benefits and a pension.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
As you can see I got the fraction wrong, but Hoaxie you were just too quick

Let me rephrase.........When you spend close to one half of your life with a company, it is indeed a cause for celebration

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Cool! Does this mean I am going to live until 120?

PS - I did not give my life to UPS. I exchanged time and effort for money, benefits and a pension.
While I agree, you still did give half your life to a company in exchange for those things. And it was not about that, it was about how you spent your life, and he spent it at UPS, therefore a party is in order, send me the addy.

stealth8

My last day in delivery was Nov 28 and I threw a huge retirement party for myself on Dec 1. I had it catered at a retreat center that I had been delivering to for over 30 yrs. I invited 125 people drivers, managers, customers and family. It cost me a pretty penny but it was worth every cent!

I had a lot of people to thank for a great career that I wanted to get them all together and thank them all at the same time. It was one of the best days of my life! So I say go for it!Throw your own retirement party that way only those you want there show up! Cheers

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
My last day in delivery was Nov 28 and I threw a huge retirement party for myself on Dec 1. I had it catered at a retreat center that I had been delivering to for over 30 yrs. I invited 125 people drivers, managers, customers and family. It cost me a pretty penny but it was worth every cent!

I had a lot of people to thank for a great career that I wanted to get them all together and thank them all at the same time. It was one of the best days of my life! So I say go for it!Throw your own retirement party that way only those you want there show up! Cheers
And you did not invite me...hmmmphh