PAS Question

Tim.

Package Placement Expert
So the engineers have been in our center for the last couple months. One of them had a gun that scanned each package and printed the truck/seq number on the package(which rubbed right off anything plastic, until it dried). My question is to any other preloader. When your center got PAS, were you able to bid on the new positions? Right now we have 1 splitter, sometimes 2. Our labels are seldom facing up. Usually the boxes are slammed up against each other, labels facing each other. Ive watched youtube videos and have seen 1 or 2 people splitting the belt and 1 or 2 scanners. I dont have enough seniority for of those positions, but I just want to get an idea, just incase a grievance down the road. I asked one manager and they werent sure. Thx.

TheDude

We received PAS about two years ago along with a brand new center. There were no bid sheets for any position other than TUG driver. Oh, and we went from 5+ hours a day to the contract minimum 3.5. I've been loading 1,000 packages in 3 to 4 cars everyday and they won't move me anywhere else even for one day. Good luck with PAS, it will hurt your paycheck and your back.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I feel sorry for you. PAS is the stupidest thing EVER.

The degree of benefit that you receive from PAS/EDD is dependant upon how much work you put in to setting up your DOL when the implementation team is in your center. I put the time in and it has paid off.

I have noticed that preloaders are not allowed to build "custom loads" and must load according to PAL. They also do not compare the PAL to the address label which can become an issue when the SPA is out of sync.

Your experience may differ but PAS/EDD has made me a much more efficient driver.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I have the worst dispatcher on earth. He puts bulk on the top shelf, no matter what you say. As a larger picture, I feel PAS is the tool that will be used to get rid of us(union).

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have the worst dispatcher on earth. He puts bulk on the top shelf, no matter what you say. As a larger picture, I feel PAS is the tool that will be used to get rid of us(union).

It is obvious that one of the "benefits" of PAS/EDD is to more easily replace us during a work stoppage. This is also why we had the "UPS for Dummies" DIAD upgrades. I don't see them getting rid of us but I do see some changes in 2013, most notably a two-tiered pay schedule.

menotyou

bella amicizia
It is obvious that one of the "benefits" of PAS/EDD is to more easily replace us during a work stoppage. This is also why we had the "UPS for Dummies" DIAD upgrades. I don't see them getting rid of us but I do see some changes in 2013, most notably a two-tiered pay schedule.
I REALLY hope you are right.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The degree of benefit that you receive from PAS/EDD is dependant upon how much work you put in to setting up your DOL when the implementation team is in your center. I put the time in and it has paid off.

I have noticed that preloaders are not allowed to build "custom loads" and must load according to PAL. They also do not compare the PAL to the address label which can become an issue when the SPA is out of sync.

Your experience may differ but PAS/EDD has made me a much more efficient driver.

We can build loads however we want. The PAL is not the be-all-end-all of where the box goes.

Now, if your preload manager and FT sups are complete morons they may say "load by the PAL seq only", which is a local power play. That has nothing to do with anything but either your car or tiny little operation in the middle of nowhere.

TheDick

We can build loads however we want. The PAL is not the be-all-end-all of where the box goes.

Now, if your preload manager and FT sups are complete morons they may say "load by the PAL seq only", which is a local power play. That has nothing to do with anything but either your car or tiny little operation in the middle of nowhere.

I agree that pal/edd could make drivers more efficient, but my preload mgr pleads ignorant to knowing how to change DOL and pick-up order and times. He a liar but hes got control.
Scroll is our friend. Not CTM