Passed driving school Friday....

U

uber

....but then my trainer tells me what center I'm going to be in and told me to call them Friday. So I call and the manager says we aren't sure if we need you on Monday and to call in at 7am.

BTW, I'm PT-FT driver.

Uh, so I can't imagine they'd spend all that time, energy and money training me just to send me back to the hub.

I hate how UPS plays this game.

UPSGUY72

....but then my trainer tells me what center I'm going to be in and told me to call them Friday. So I call and the manager says we aren't sure if we need you on Monday and to call in at 7am.

BTW, I'm PT-FT driver.

Uh, so I can't imagine they'd spend all that time, energy and money training me just to send me back to the hub.

oh you would be surprised at what UPS will and won't do...

Catatonic

Nine Lives

BTW, I'm PT-FT driver.

You're low driver on the totem pole ... it will be frustrating for a while.

U

uber

The problem is I work nights in the hub. Aren't I suppose to have 10 hours off in between shifts according to state law? Thats what we were told anyways. So I get off my night shift at 3am and then call in to see if they have work for me at 7am? Doesn't really make sense.

Uhhhh, I'm confused. I thought I'd start getting on road training starting Monday.

kingOFchester

Hang in there. It royally, completely sucks before u make book. Then it will just royally suck for a long while. Then it will just plain old sucks. Not sure if there is another step as I am at the just sucks stage.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire

BTW, I'm PT-FT driver.

You're low driver on the totem pole ... it will be frustrating for a while.

Surely you meant to say: "frustrating for the rest of your career".

Justaname

BTW, I'm PT-FT driver.

just make sure you obey dot laws. Even if it means that you can't drive. It's up to you to keep track of hours worked. an easy way is to time stamp hours worked.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
DOT regs 10 hours between shifts. From my buildings practice you'll go back to the hub and then they'll pull you the day before they need you so you have enough time between shifts. However, if they pull you out and then don't work you then you are guaranteed at least 4 hours pay for them to pull you out. It'll blow for a bit bud. It's not a game so to speak just an ehffed up numbers reality. Sock some dough away when they cash out your vacations because Jan-Mar if you work once a week I'd be surprised.

U

uber

DOT regs 10 hours between shifts. From my buildings practice you'll go back to the hub and then they'll pull you the day before they need you so you have enough time between shifts. However, if they pull you out and then don't work you then you are guaranteed at least 4 hours pay for them to pull you out. It'll blow for a bit bud. It's not a game so to speak just an ehffed up numbers reality. Sock some dough away when they cash out your vacations because Jan-Mar if you work once a week I'd be surprised.

So they'll tell me if they need me a couple days ahead of time? So, for instance if I work Wednesday morning they'll notify me Monday night or Tuesday afternoon and then I'll call the hub and let them know I won't be working nights? Or will they notify the night manager? It almost makes me want to switch to day shift.

This is surprising since I haven't had any on-road training. Just the weeklong driver course that I passed. I was told by my trainer that I'd be starting Monday. I then called the center and the manager said they want me to call in Monday morning. This whole process is confusing.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
I can only speak from my district and building experience but it's like this...you call Monday and they say they don't need you. If they decide to train you on Wednesday, they'll tell you not to work on Tuesday. They should email nights but do the stand up thing and call them to let them know just to CYA. Good luck!

U

uber

I can only speak from my district and building experience but it's like this...you call Monday and they say they don't need you. If they decide to train you on Wednesday, they'll tell you not to work on Tuesday. They should email nights but do the stand up thing and call them to let them know just to CYA. Good luck!

Cool, thanks for the straight up answer. Sometimes those are hard to get around here.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Saw the word "Gonzaga" and immediately saw John Stockton in my brain !! Great memories of Stockton to Malone !! Thanks,sortaisle !

U

uber

So, I called in this morning at 7am like instructed. They tell me they don't need me and to call in again tomorrow. I work nights and if I work tonight I won't have the 10 hours off that they said the DOT mandates I have off in order to drive tomorrow morning. Do I just not get paid? Sounds kinda screwey.

undies

After 6 years full time, I'm still second to last on seniority. Only cover drivers have been hired, I don't think I'll get a route until I'm ready to retire.

U

uber

After 6 years full time, I'm still second to last on seniority. Only cover drivers have been hired, I don't think I'll get a route until I'm ready to retire.

I haven't even done my on-road training, only passed in class training. Working nights I need atleast 10hrs off in between shifts in order to drive.