passed the test...air driver..what's the next step

adriat

UPS is so different than my employer...I work in a corporate office and my husband has been with UPS for 13 years now. he has been in preload all this time. He just passed the class and will be working as an air driver soon. what I want to know (and can't seem to get a straight answer) is what's next? when do you get a route? when do you finally get to be full time?

PT Car Washer

UPS is so different than my employer...I work in a corporate office and my husband has been with UPS for 13 years now. he has been in preload all this time. He just passed the class and will be working as an air driver soon. what I want to know (and can't seem to get a straight answer) is what's next? when do you get a route? when do you finally get to be full time?
You need to read Art 40 in the Master contract. Now what sort of an Air Driver is he? PT bid air driver? FT bid air driver? Or I would guess an Air Exception/Saturday air driver. My guess is he will work the preload and then if air is heavy that day he will run a few stops to take the heat off the regular drivers. That is what I and a few of my co workers do. We are still considered PT and only work for the extra hours.

adriat

Arghh! So much union talk! Lol...I guess I need to get a hold of this master contract. It is just Saturdays. Just wondering when he can get in full time. So confused!

PT Car Washer

Arghh! So much union talk! Lol...I guess I need to get a hold of this master contract. It is just Saturdays. Just wondering when he can get in full time. So confused!
Okay, Just working Saturday answers a lot of questions. He will still be PT working the preload and depending on his PT seniority date he will deliver air on Saturday for extra hours. Wages start off low but after two year progression top wage today is over $26/hr. Not a short cut to FT but can be some easy better money for a PTer. Some of us make 50k to over 60k working PT. Of course that all depends on seniority.

By The Book

He will only get a full time job when he bids into the full time drivers classification. These usually are posted once a year for all current part timers interested in becoming fulltime. The center manager will then go by seniority to select who is next to get the opportunity to go driving. His next step is for a full time position to be available. Kudos for waiting it out 13 years.

PT Car Washer

He will only get a full time job when he bids into the full time drivers classification. These usually are posted once a year for all current part timers interested in becoming fulltime. The center manager will then go by seniority to select who is next to get the opportunity to go driving. His next step is for a full time position to be available. Kudos for waiting it out 13 years.
With 13 years and depending on how his building use Air drivers he could be working a few extra hours everyday. And anytime UPS uses a PT air driver to help out with ground deliveries or pick ups he will be paid top driver rate, over $33/hr for all his driving time.

adriat

Ok...finally getting less confused. So...work the Saturday thing...get as much driving time as possible...get your name on the list...and pray you have the most seniority. Which yeah...13 years is a long time! If anything...he is committed! Thanks!

By The Book

With 13 years and depending on how his building use Air drivers he could be working a few extra hours everyday. And anytime UPS uses a PT air driver to help out with ground deliveries or pick ups he will be paid top driver rate, over $33/hr for all his driving time.
Or if he's close to being called up they can start his full time progression for doing ground work, at$18.75 an hour.

PT Car Washer

Ok...finally getting less confused. So...work the Saturday thing...get as much driving time as possible...get your name on the list...and pray you have the most seniority. Which yeah...13 years is a long time! If anything...he is committed! Thanks!
Driving on Saturday is a huge advantage compared to someone who has never driven or delivered before when going FT. Of course some of us have discovered that working PT and driving air we can make almost the same money with a lot less stress. And no he is not committed. If driving is not his thing he can just DQ himself and work his PT job with no retributions.

PT Car Washer

Does he load trucks?, if he does it is a huge advantage when you go driving. It helps you understand where things are so you will be more efficient. Does this center have a lot of drivers or is it a smaller center?
Learning to drive the trucks and be comfortable with the DIAD and some of the stops while you are not being evaluated everyday. Saturday is a lot less stress.

By The Book

No. Read Art 40 in the master. You can find it on line. This is a Union job with a contract. Sometimes the contract works to your advantage, sometimes not.
We have part time employees who only deliver Saturday air and shuttle air out to the drivers. They have performed driver work,( made ground pickups ) around peak on Saturdays and have been paid the starting full time wage progression rate.

PT Car Washer

We have part time employees who only deliver Saturday air and shuttle air out to the drivers. They have performed driver work,( made ground pickups ) around peak on Saturdays and have been paid the starting full time wage progression rate.
UPS may be classifying them as seasonal drivers and paying them seasonal rate. There is no national standard for air driver classification.

By The Book

UPS may be classifying them as seasonal drivers and paying them seasonal rate. There is no national standard for air driver classification.
I forgot to mention these are all inside employees as well. Preload and local sort. Our drivers deliver all air products Monday thru Friday.

root

Calm down, i'll handle it

Wow! what region?