Passed up on double shifting list

U

uber

So I signed up to double shift on a Sunday twilight shift and last I checked was Friday night when I left and I was 3rd seniority on the list. I talked to a manager and asked if they doubled anybody that night and he said they doubled quite a few people. So I got passed up. How do I prove it and is it worth filing the grievance?

U

uber

Uh no. I put my name on the list, had the 3rd highest seniority and never got a call. Sounds to me like the person in charge of calling by seniority messed up. Not really looking for free money out of the deal, just dont want it to happen again. Looking for opinions and wondering if this has ever happened to anyone else.

over9five

Staff member
Grieve it. Find one less seniority employee who worked, that's all you have to do. They took money out of your pocket, get it back.

ymelord

Uh no. I put my name on the list, had the 3rd highest seniority and never got a call. Sounds to me like the person in charge of calling by seniority messed up. Not really looking for free money out of the deal, just dont want it to happen again. Looking for opinions and wondering if this has ever happened to anyone else.
If it was me I would grieve it if I was over looked, and I would go for the money, or it will keep happening, but that's just me, I don't want to get in trouble for encouraging a grievance.

DorkHead

Tell them just what you said here. Find out why you were passed over. If it was a mistake then tell them not to let it happen again. Sort of your verbal warning to them. If their answer does not satisfy you then grieve it for the money lost.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
You should grieve it, do not waste your time with a verbal warning. The company violated your contractual rights that they agreed to and there are specific penalties laid out in the contract for just such occasions. How many verbal warnings do you het for not following instructions? That is exactly what they did.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
If it was me I would grieve it if I was over looked, and I would go for the money, or it will keep happening, but that's just me, I don't want to get in trouble for encouraging a grievance.

How are you going to get in trouble? As a Steward it is not only my protected right to solicit and encorage grievances is is my responsibility to do so when one of my members has been violated!! Do not fall for the companies line that you cannot solicit grievances. The NLRB says I can!!

menotyou

bella amicizia
How can you get in trouble for explaining someone's rights? Come to Watertown. I was accused of soliciting a grievance for explaining someone's rights. In front of BA, who instead of saying anything, sat their with a blank stare. I had to defend myself. No union help, even though I did nothing wrong. Labor sup was trying to intimidate me.

GRGR88, not all locals are as strong as yours, apparently, is. Tried voting him out. No one votes, anymore. they don't believe anything will change. They international has been told numerous times how worthless this guy is. No help. they tell worthless who is complaining. Nice. Real nice. Talk about defending your members. Don't lecture me about filing charges on him, either. Change needs to start at the top, and I don't see any interest.
And, if you think you can do better, have at it.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Best bet:

(1) goto steward who gives a damn
(2) ask steward to find OR (op reports) to see which person worked the Sunday double shifting (he/she should be able to investigate records)
(3) find out if someone from ANY other shift except Sunday sort worked with less seniority
(4) grieve the company for allowing that person(s) to work.

You may have lost a 6th punch AND Sunday which is time and a half here, anyway. Also, others on the list NOT including you may have missed out too - so you should encourage others to look into this as well.