Paternity leave FEEDERS

Shift

Hello I am an 8 year partime yard shifter (yard jockey) at UPS and I recently signed the bid list to be a part time feeder cover driver. But my wife has a baby on the way the end of this August and I plan on taking 3 weeks of FMLA to help my wife. My question is if I were to be called to go to feeder driver training or what not and I'm on leave at the moment will i lose my opportunity to move up. I know there aren't many areas that let part timers into feeders but all full time list were exhausted and I have the chance of a lifetime.

Hello I am an 8 year partime yard shifter (yard jockey) at UPS and I recently signed the bid list to be a part time feeder cover driver. But my wife has a baby on the way the end of this August and I plan on taking 3 weeks of FMLA to help my wife. My question is if I were to be called to go to feeder driver training or what not and I'm on leave at the moment will i lose my opportunity to move up. I know there aren't many areas that let part timers into feeders but all full time list were exhausted and I have the chance of a lifetime.
They only have so many feeder schools . If you miss it you will probably miss out.
You got a tough choice here.

rod

Retired 22 years
I can't believe you would even think of missing a chance to get into feeders. You may as well go where the big money is--once you are full time you won't be seeing much of your family anyway.

trickpony1

1) hire a videographer to stream real-time birth to your phone while you take lunch.
2) hire relatives or others to help her around the house.

"Big bucks" feedah's can do this.

clean hairy

My guess is if you are on FMLA and school comes up during that time, your name gets passed over, and they go to the next name on the list.
I doubt they would (and doubt they are permitted) to contact an employee about work while on leave.
As Spock would say to Kirk on Star Trek The Original Series "It IS a difficult decision"
Strangers on the internet cannot help with this, only you and the Wife can make this decision.
The question is really if you should or should not go on FMLA, and risk missing this opportunity.

Johney

Here if they call and you're on w/c or std they pass you up,not sure about FMLA cant see that being any different.

over9five

Staff member
He wouldn't miss the birth of his child. OBVIOUSLY, you take that day off.
He'd just miss the 3 weeks vacation....oops, paternity leave.

barnyard

KTM rider
Here is what I would do....

Go to feeder school, if your wife goes into labor, call in. Go back, finish feeder school and take your FMLA time after you make seniority as a feeder.

barnyard

KTM rider
But only do this after talking to your wife about it. Let her know that both are important. Make sure that she is on the same page as you.

Shift

Thanks for all your replies if it comes down to it I'm definitely going to chose my family over feeders there is literally no amount of money that can keep me from spending time with my first child. It's not really about the money for me because i own a landscape company with my dad. It's just about the opportunity to advance my self.