paternity leave in december

Forty6and2

I'm Broken
would i be able to use a vacation week instead of regular paternity leave? we don't get paid for paternity leave but we do for vacation...

For FMLA you MAY be required to use accrued paid time off which in UPS speak means they WILL make you use accrued time off if you have any remaining. When you fill out the paperwork make sure you apply for INTERMITTENT leave. This will allow you,even now,to accompany your wife and child to doctor visits and such before as well as after the birth as you see fit. Most likely you will need to apply for now until the end of the year and in December reapply for January 01-December 31 of 2009. Remember INTERMITTENT.

rod

Retired 22 years
They actually give you time off now in December when your wife has a baby? I begged for time off (unpaid) when both of my kids were born. (Dec.24 and Nov. 3) and they wouldn't give it to me. " Can't spare you" was all I heard. :angry:

Cobra Agent

Mandalorian
My son was born in Jan. I had a really cool supe. I planned one week vacation at the time of his birth. I also got an extra 3 days of paid days off. There is some sort of code that the sups can enter to get this done. But I believe you can only take FMLA is there is complications with the baby or complications with your wife during/after pregnancy. But in the real world the baby will never come when the dr says unless it is a c-section. Talk to your sups and explain the situation they should work with you.......Should, but problaby wont. good look and congrats!

My son was born in Jan. I had a really cool supe. I planned one week vacation at the time of his birth. I also got an extra 3 days of paid days off. There is some sort of code that the sups can enter to get this done. But I believe you can only take FMLA is there is complications with the baby or complications with your wife during/after pregnancy. But in the real world the baby will never come when the dr says unless it is a c-section. Talk to your sups and explain the situation they should work with you.......Should, but problaby wont. good look and congrats!

FMLA may be taken both before and after the birth whether or not there are complications.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Arrrrghhh.

My daughter was born on Dec. 19th with a scheuled induction. I was already approved for 6 weeks of FMLA. I ended up only taking 4 weeks. We were both sick of me bieing home after 4 weeks.

You are allowed 12 weeks per year under FMLA. When you take FMLA it does not have to be consecutive days/weeks. You have a total of 12 weeks available to you as needed. You can take 3 weeks here and 4 weeks there. It does not have to be concurrent.
FMLA is unpaid leave. YOU have the option to be paid out for your vacations to cover this, not the company. you can be paid off for all of your sick/personal (option)/ and vaction time except for one week.

And to top it off, I will tell you that my boss was an absolute jerk at the time and it gave me GREAT pleasure leaving him without me foe the last 5 days of peak. Especially since my avg non-peak stop count was 125 a the time but he felt it necessary to send me out with 250 and no helper. He tried to get me to have my wife change her induction to the next week. She was already 10 days past her due date. what a tool :rolleyes:

FMLA in california you get paid 6 weeks .you get paid through the state not UPS you are allowed to take 12 weeks but only 6 weeks are paid you can break it up if you like and it is not only for the birth of a child . you can use it to take care of a sick family member also. might be different in other states check with human resources or your local EDD office

FMLA in california you get paid 6 weeks .you get paid through the state not UPS you are allowed to take 12 weeks but only 6 weeks are paid you can break it up if you like and it is not only for the birth of a child . you can use it to take care of a sick family member also. might be different in other states check with human resources or your local EDD office
That 6 weeks paid by the state sounds like a cailfornia give away. The FMLA is a federal law.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Arrrrghhh.

My daughter was born on Dec. 19th with a scheuled induction. I was already approved for 6 weeks of FMLA. I ended up only taking 4 weeks. We were both sick of me bieing home after 4 weeks.

You are allowed 12 weeks per year under FMLA. When you take FMLA it does not have to be consecutive days/weeks. You have a total of 12 weeks available to you as needed. You can take 3 weeks here and 4 weeks there. It does not have to be concurrent.
FMLA is unpaid leave. YOU have the option to be paid out for your vacations to cover this, not the company. you can be paid off for all of your sick/personal (option)/ and vaction time except for one week.

And to top it off, I will tell you that my boss was an absolute jerk at the time and it gave me GREAT pleasure leaving him without me foe the last 5 days of peak. Especially since my avg non-peak stop count was 125 a the time but he felt it necessary to send me out with 250 and no helper. He tried to get me to have my wife change her induction to the next week. She was already 10 days past her due date. what a tool :rolleyes:

Packages first, then people.

They should put that on the side of Ragan's car next year--that would certainly put truth back in our advertising.

chev

Nightcrawler
Arrrrghhh.

He tried to get me to have my wife change her induction to the next week. She was already 10 days past her due date. what a tool :rolleyes:
Isn't it amazing how much some (not all) sups care so much about their employees? To think that your wife would put off her induction for his selfish ass is incredible.