Patriotism vs Profit....

DontThrowPackages

first off, i know it would never happen but lets suppose a new vision of the old "bracero program" was reestablished. This program back in the 1940's allowed Mexicans to cross over the border freely to work on farms, railroads and other unskilled labor. Now what if, today by lobbying or whatever, companies were allow to build dorms on the location of their business, a pseudo plantation, to houses workers of this program for the work week then to be bussed back across the border for the weekend. The companies would pay the workers 20 dollars a day and because they were not citizens, no overtime pay, medical, life insurance or retirement. Even with the building of the dorms, the companies still would realize at least 50 pct increase in net profit.
My question to you, what percentage of American companies do you feel would dump their minimum and medium skilled labor force to "hire" the bracero worker and dump their American employees? I hear a lot about Patriotism in this country, who is and who isn't, and was just curious to hear what we think corporations would do if given this gold goose.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
It has nothing to do with patriotism. Math knows no nationality.

How many companies would do this? It depends on the quality of workers that they can get. A company that pays a few bucks (or more) over minimum wage to attract and retain quality employees wouldn't be able to make that much more off of such a program. Most of our unskilled jobs that can be outsourced have already been outsourced or automated.

I think the real question is why are we worrying about a lack of jobs for the unskilled when we should be worrying about why we have so many unskilled workers.

mitchel

How many companies would do this? It depends on the quality of workers that they can get. A company that pays a few bucks (or more) over minimum wage to attract and retain quality employees wouldn't be able to make that much more off of such a program. Most of our unskilled jobs that can be outsourced have already been outsourced or automated.

I think the real question is why are we worrying about a lack of jobs for the unskilled when we should be worrying about why we have so many unskilled workers.

I am really beginning to dislike you.

Ricochet1a

Predatory capitalism at its finest...

I would suggest one read "A Modest Proposal..." by Jonathan Swift.

Might as well sell off all those "surplus unskilled workers" to be used for something of use...

Maybe not as food for the rich, but as serfs to tend Fred's Ground operation....

Just starting to dislike...

TUT

first off, i know it would never happen but lets suppose a new vision of the old "bracero program" was reestablished. This program back in the 1940's allowed Mexicans to cross over the border freely to work on farms, railroads and other unskilled labor. Now what if, today by lobbying or whatever, companies were allow to build dorms on the location of their business, a pseudo plantation, to houses workers of this program for the work week then to be bussed back across the border for the weekend. The companies would pay the workers 20 dollars a day and because they were not citizens, no overtime pay, medical, life insurance or retirement. Even with the building of the dorms, the companies still would realize at least 50 pct increase in net profit.
My question to you, what percentage of American companies do you feel would dump their minimum and medium skilled labor force to "hire" the bracero worker and dump their American employees? I hear a lot about Patriotism in this country, who is and who isn't, and was just curious to hear what we think corporations would do if given this gold goose.

Right. That is why we need rights. Otherwise the power would ultimately shift to slavery again, no kidding. I am just assuming they feel since we have our noses head deep in entertainment content, they can just try to take us all the way back. As if we will go there and not revolt at some point.The revolt then creates even more rights.

Corps believe in no taxes and no employee costs. They want everything for free but be able to sell their thing. Nuts.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

If Fred could import braceros to be couriers, he'd do it in a split-second. Math (read $$$) knows no nationality, and it knows no ethics, which makes it a perfect match for FedEx.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Exactly what he (and FedEx) are insinuating. We are overpaid per their new Right Wing psycho paradigm. He is such a tool.

59 Dano

Some think the problem is that we don't keep jobs here for them to do. Others think the problem is that we're churning out too many unskilled workers.

If that bugs you, I bet I can guess which problem you think is worse.

59 Dano

Predatory capitalism at its finest...

I would suggest one read "A Modest Proposal..." by Jonathan Swift.

Might as well sell off all those "surplus unskilled workers" to be used for something of use...

Maybe not as food for the rich, but as serfs to tend Fred's Ground operation....

By all means, let's crank out more unskilled labor!!! We can complain about the lack of jobs for most of them, and then complain about the quality of jobs (low pay, iffy working conditions) of those who are working. As long as we don't question why we have so many of them.

59 Dano

@dano59.....

See, it's all the workers fault! And are you insinuating the an express driver is an "unskilled position"?

I was responding to someone else's hypothetical proposal about the US economy IN GENERAL. How did you figure that I was talking about Express couriers?

hypo hanna

Did ya see that little curly thing with a dot underneath it at the end of my sentence, looked like "?".
It's called a question mark. It's used to denote a inquiry.
If I had wanted to accuse you of stating something I would have.

I realize you are outnumbered here but try not to be so sensitive.

59 Dano

Did ya see that little curly thing with a dot underneath it at the end of my sentence, looked like "?".
It's called a question mark. It's used to denote a inquiry.
If I had wanted to accuse you of stating something I would have.

It was obvious that I wasn't insinuating that Express couriers are unskilled.

I realize you are outnumbered here but try not to be so sensitive

I'm not sensitive about much of anything, but stupid questions get on my nerves.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
It was obvious that I wasn't insinuating that Express couriers are unskilled.

I'm not sensitive about much of anything, but stupid questions get on my nerves.

Are shills "skilled" or "unskilled" labor? From what I've seen so far, they would have to be classified "unskilled".