Pay question

Andizzy

I have been employed with UPS for almost a year now. I worked preload until mid October when I went for seasonal driving. That ended about two weeks into January. Then early February I got called back for an air driver position. My current pay is $13.50 an hour. I start my day by running EAMs, I take Ndas regularly, especially when other drivers are heavy with them. Then I deliver several post offices and a bulk stop. I spoke with my union rep Who told me I was being scammed and I should be getting driver salary. The center I work for has been very nice to me, especially by bringing me back so soon. I’m really struggling to make ends meet at this pay scale, I had to give up my reliable income part time job to do this when I’m going to getting roughly 35 hours a week. If you were in my situation what would you suggest? Should I be making driver salary at my current position?

Andizzy

Now and again I deliver residential areas. Between 20-30 stops. They stopped it midweek last week though, they sent me out heavy and the boss was pissed they pushed the work on me. Do the postal stops count? If my bulk stop is all grounds does that mean for the duration of the shift I should be paid driver salary?

Cementups

Box Monkey
@Andizzy , if you deliver a single ground package during the time you are on the clock then you should be getting paid ground rate. And by deliver I mean actually scan it and get a signature for it. If you are just shuttling packages and not delivering them, then they can pay you just air rate.

Andizzy

I’m really not trying to sound stupid I just need some for more clarification, For all the post offices and bulk stop I scan every package and get a signature at each location is that what you’re talking about? Or are you referring to strictly residential?

AlliSeeisBrown

Residential or commercial does not matter. If you scan and deliver a UPS ground package classified as an air driver, you deserve top driver pay. It's in the contract. It could be 1 package or 300. Same rule applies if you pickup ground packages as well, as long as you scan the pickup piece or the end of day.

However, if you file or tell them you expect top driver pay, they will probably not have you do this 'extra work' anymore because they will realize they can't get by with it anymore, paying you the air driver wage.

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
You’re entitled to driver pay but if you tell them you want driver pay they will probably cut your hours and scam
Someone else.

Andizzy

Thanks a lot everyone, your responses brought more clarity than looking over the contract and speaking with my union rep combined. @dookie stain Quick follow-up question, when you said my progression has started does that mean the work that I have been doing count towards the 30 in 90?

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
Thanks a lot everyone, your responses brought more clarity than looking over the contract and speaking with my union rep combined. @dookie stain Quick follow-up question, when you said my progression has started does that mean the work that I have been doing count towards the 30 in 90?
I mean your four year progression to top scale

Andizzy

That’s where the master confuses me. My pay is what I’m seeing as a ft air driver yet I’ve been told on several occasions I’m still a part time employee. According to article 40 pt ad pay starts at 11$ and ft @ 13$ and 13.50$ (with seniority). I only have seniority as a part time employee. Is this just a weak attempt at paying me extra “hush money”?

PT Car Washer

That’s where the master confuses me. My pay is what I’m seeing as a ft air driver yet I’ve been told on several occasions I’m still a part time employee. According to article 40 pt ad pay starts at 11$ and ft @ 13$ and 13.50$ (with seniority). I only have seniority as a part time employee. Is this just a weak attempt at paying me extra “hush money”?
You are not reading Art 40 correctly. You have been working at UPS for a year so you have seniority. $13.50/hr is right.

IESucks

I have been employed with UPS for almost a year now. I worked preload until mid October when I went for seasonal driving. That ended about two weeks into January. Then early February I got called back for an air driver position. My current pay is $13.50 an hour. I start my day by running EAMs, I take Ndas regularly, especially when other drivers are heavy with them. Then I deliver several post offices and a bulk stop. I spoke with my union rep Who told me I was being scammed and I should be getting driver salary. The center I work for has been very nice to me, especially by bringing me back so soon. I’m really struggling to make ends meet at this pay scale, I had to give up my reliable income part time job to do this when I’m going to getting roughly 35 hours a week. If you were in my situation what would you suggest? Should I be making driver salary at my current position?
They can be nice and fire you the next day for a simple human mistake. Get what you are suppose to get