Pay Rate for Saturday Air

BrownDog5117

I drove air today and while out driving, a customer waved me over.

I pulled over and asked him what I could do for him, and he asked if I could take some ground packages from him. He had prepaid return labels and everything. I wasn't exactly sure if I should take them or not (first time asked that on a Saturday), but I took them anyways because hey... "service the package right?".

I don't scan them until I talk to my supervisor, who in turn tells me he would have picked them up too and to just sheet them like usual... Special Count.. blah blah .. usual pick up procedure.

When I got home my buddy told me I should get paid more for today since I "handled ground packages"... He said I should be top ground rate for the day.

Out of curiosity, is he right? Not that I'd ever want to make a stink over something that small, but I was just wondering if that's true, or if that just applies to delivering ground.

Thanks!

reginald95

You can ask your sup to code you as top rate but he can say that you weren't instructed to pick up ground and not give you the rate.

box_beeyotch

...and your days of driving Saturday air would be over...

Oh for that matter, your days of working for UPS might be over for awhile over that. Now full time air drivers here, they are paid top ground rate if they are called in early to shuttle misloads or if they have to take on an extra ground pick up that another driver could not fit.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

You can ask your sup to code you as top rate but he can say that you weren't instructed to pick up ground and not give you the rate.
There isn't a ground code. If he scanned ground packages he should automatically get ground pay for it since it appears as a ground pickup area in his time card.

Only way for his sup to avoid it was to delete the pickups in his time card.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
There isn't a ground code. If he scanned ground packages he should automatically get ground pay for it since it appears as a ground pickup area in his time card.

And this is why PT guys aren't allowed to run the misloads they bring out to FT drivers during the week. It's also the reason when we have late air they can't help take some stops off you because you're so far behind because of said air.

reginald95

You are paid according the your paycode. If you are not a full time driver and you deliver, pickup ground, shuttle ground, the sup has to code you as top rate. It's a diff code than a full time driver but it's there. Even if you scan a ground package the computer won't automatically pick up on it.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
You are paid according the your paycode. If you are not a full time driver and you deliver, pickup ground, shuttle ground, the sup has to code you as top rate. It's a diff code than a full time driver but it's there. Even if you scan a ground package the computer won't automatically pick up on it.
Those of us around here watch for air drivers being asked to help with ground PU's but not scan the pieces because they are intimated by management to do so. As you know that would bring the air driver up to ground pay, but in order to make that happen, we'd need to file on the air drivers behalf.

BrownDog5117

I actually called my supervisor and asked him if it applied to me, and he said I could ask for a wage adjustment. Ten minutes later he called me back and said that it applies to those drivers who are instructed to go make a ground pickup/delivery.

Just a very interesting situation. I reread the contract where this applies and I can't quite tell.

I don't want to rock the boat, but you think I should bring it up again?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I actually called my supervisor and asked him if it applied to me, and he said I could ask for a wage adjustment. Ten minutes later he called me back and said that it applies to those drivers who are instructed to go make a ground pickup/delivery.

Just a very interesting situation. I reread the contract where this applies and I can't quite tell.

I don't want to rock the boat, but you think I should bring it up again?

Nope.

You did a favor for a customer---is that worth an additional $15-20/hr for the whole day?

By The Book

So the paper trail on that would be a time card correction, if this employee was to inquire about this later?