Paying people extra to show up for a week straight. BS!

I haven't been around forever, but at my hub I talked to a loader who says that he gets paid 100 extra dollars a check as long as he showed up for that entire week. Is this not BS? It is my understanding that he has attendance issues, but is this seriously okay to do? I feel a bit jipped. I do my part, and so does he. He isn't a bad worker by any other means actually, just calls off sometimes. It's just that he makes time.5 just for going to work and working regular hours now, and I also understand this is going to go on for months. He is not the only one either. I have a pending grievance that is almost a year old now, they cant pay me a few dollars, but they pay what end up being sub-par loaders [the above is the exception] much more money than someone who has been there for years part-time. A hundred dollars can make or break someones standard of living. WHYYYYY?

What do you guys think?

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Sounds like BS to me. Have you actually seen it on this guy's check? Maybe he's the type of guy that doesn't realize he's actually making an extra $100 by working an entire week.

A negotiated attendance bonus would have to apply to all part-timers in a facility. We had it on the midnight sort long before I was hired and the local discontinued it as the company refused to offer it to the other sorts. Any type of "bonus" offered to "at risk" employees to encourage them to come to work is a side agreement and thus null and void unless the union specifically agreed to it.

Unless there's more mules than people in your town, UPS would much rather fire a part-timer and hire a new one for $10/hour (~$200/week pre-tax) than give him a 33% bonus just for coming to work.

Yeah thats exactly what I was thinking too. I do remember seeing it on his check, and a few of our mates all ragging on him for it. It completely defies monetary logic to me as well. What steps would you recommend I go about to nip this? I actually do feel insulted, and I would like them to stop. It's been bothering me for a few weeks.

fres431

I've been told at the Oakland hub they give bonus to employees who show up on Fridays. They have major issues with Friday attendance ..

anHOURover

ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1439867226.980266.jpg

ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1439867240.136191.jpg

What does it all mean then anHOURover? They offered something similar at my hub also, but I am certain the guy i spoke with was hired before a notice like that was ever posted.

anHOURover

What does it all mean then anHOURover? They offered something similar at my hub also, but I am certain the guy i spoke with was hired before a notice like that was ever posted.
In my eyes it shows the company can't get ppl to come to work for $10 an hour and only 17/20 hours of hard labor. In my part time days there was lines of ppl for part time jobs at brown! I just referred a friend and he only stayed a week!

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Is this grieve-able then?

In all seriousness, if this is an actual bonus another seniority member is receiving, then you need to be talking to your BA. Your local may have already agreed to it and if so you have a right to know the details. If not, then you might need his/her help to craft your grievance and help them gather evidence (names of employees receiving the bonus, etc.)

Wa
In all seriousness, if this is an actual bonus another seniority member is receiving, then you need to be talking to your BA. Your local may have already agreed to it and if so you have a right to know the details. If not, then you might need his/her help to craft your grievance and help them gather evidence (names of employees receiving the bonus, etc.)

thats what I shall do then, I'm on familiar terms with our stewards. It's better I know the situation at my hub before I go on some metal rant at work and make myself look stupid.

HardknocksUPSer

How do I get this bonus? Wished my center offered it. We are expected mon-fri no matter what, hell they won't give us a dollar extra much less 60-100$