PC School Help - Advice

BigBeef42

Monday was the start.
Today im finishing day #2-

Today for the first half we drove in the yard. My driving was great. I was stoked! Also, I remembered the 5 seeing habits, 10 point commentary and 8 keys to backing already.... I thought I was doing great.

We get back to the computer lab and start the 24 different CBT's. I'm a college grad and have my own speed for absorbing info, I'm not retarded and had a GPA of 3.4 in finance. Very thorough.... also, I had a 15 minute delay in logging into the computer.. bad password. Excuses...

About 2 hours into the CBT work the instructor comes up to me and says "you need to speed it up".... I look around and even ask some of my fellow students how far they are... and realized I'm 1.5 hours behind...

Everyone IS NOT taking notes as they roll thru the programs... i am... oops. Most folks have been thru about 10-15 of the 24 CBTs. And I'm just getting to my 6th one. They are just scanning thru it. Probably not even retaining it, Wtf!

It seems ups doesn't give a fack about retaining info they just want u to look like u did.... is this normal?

If it's normal I'll just go along with it.

My question is, when it comes to the final written test - aren't we tested on all of the cbt's? No, yes?

What sucks is tomorrow we do a real road test and diad training and I'm not even caught up on the computer...

I wanted to stay late and catch up, but at the end of the day, the instructor came in made us all shut down our computers.... while I was in the middle of one of the programs.... I just lost another 20 minutes....

Thanks for letting me vent.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Last edited:

BigBeef42

Also 4 of the people in my class are returning seasonal driver trying to go fulltime. And know the work.

Is it me or is this class supposed to be this fast, expedited.

Is it normal to disregard the info being taught to us, fly thru it to satisfy the instructor, and go on the road not knowing any of the facts?

What's on the written test?

Sent using BrownCafe App

mdnj88

The written for me was just all the depth of knowledge (crap) info. That was it. The computer training was used in our class as busy work while the instructor took everyone on road test.

Is this integrad school or just a regular driving class. I attended a regular 7 day training class. Way to many people and not enough help for the instructor. He flew threw everything and made us stay late on final day because we were so backed up.

BigBeef42

Thanks for the reply.... !

Regular driving school.

I wish mine would let us stay late... I wouldn't even mind staying off the clock and doing the cbt work on my own dime.

The instructor pushes us out the door at the end of the day because he wants to beat the big city traffic...he shows up late and leaves early... we only get 4 days of training and the 5th is for make up work..... probably for people like me.

I think my problem is OVER THINKING IT!

Thanks you!

DOK.... such as the 8 rules of backing, 5 seeing habits and the 10 point commentary? Is their more?

Thanks for the answers

Sent using BrownCafe App

Last edited:

BigBeef42

How important is the diad on the final test....?

Since I am behind a few cbts, I noticed everyone is already a few deep into the diad cbts and I'm just about to start it.

Sent using BrownCafe App

twoeddies1

Mine was just DOK a few hazmat and safety questions that was it. DOK is really important. They will keep asking you once you get to your center

BigBeef42

Thanks guys, what a load off my shoulders...

I've been waiting 9 years to drive so I was freaking out about it.

Fyi, full time PC jobs in my hub are @ the 10-11 year mark.
Today, in a bigger better city, they are walking in off the street and going fulltime.... my classmates are shocked to hear of my seniority. Lol

Sent using BrownCafe App

Orion Syndicate

90% or lose a limb. (limb is user choice!)
Its crazy how different it is in different locations, we have the same seniority but I've been driving for 8 years FT for 6. I wasn't even thinking of driving, 7 people dq'd and the FT sup asked me to bid cause he said I was laid back and wouldn't :censored2: my pants like that last few!lol

Sent using BrownCafe App

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Its crazy how different it is in different locations, we have the same seniority but I've been driving for 8 years FT for 6. I wasn't even thinking of driving, 7 people dq'd and the FT sup asked me to bid cause he said I was laid back and wouldn't :censored2: my pants like that last few!lol

Sent using BrownCafe App
Yep I was standing in the sort isle when hr asked me if I wanted to drive. I said I'll have to talk to my wife. She said let me know tomorrow you're next on the list and will start school Monday.

22 months in and I was a FT driver.

Acc0rd

Lota lucky guys here with short years. Average here was 7 1/2yrs. I know of a certain building that hasn't hired a new FT driver since 2006! Anyone there is just :censored2:ed.

And reading the CBTs? rofl click click click click, no one read it, skipped as fast as they could to finish em. Your way overthinking all of this stuff. I too went to college for my history degree. If your overthinking CBT's you might have issues on the road and let it get to you. Just relax and let it flow out there, don't mind those CBT's.

BigBeef42

I am flying through the rest of the cbts. ... no more note taking. FUG IT! I'm almost caught up today.... almost.

Sent using BrownCafe App

BigBeef42

I hope others can see this and learn that the CBTS are NOT IMPORTANT FOR THE FINAL TEST. And to let them RELAX and chill the fug out!

Sent using BrownCafe App

DriverMD

At least you're learning something. At my class (not integrad) we didn't even drive a truck. 90% of the time was spent in front of a screen, the other 10% was spending a day with a driver helping him deliver. I drove ONCE, and that was about 2 months before the class. They're really desperate for drivers now it seems. I still haven't started yet and I'm not sure how things are going to pan out, seeing as I didn't learn anything in my class.

BigBeef42

I got a funny little story. Actually its kind of freaking scary.

Since I was finishing up my CBT's today I was last to go out and drive. There's 15 people in my class. I hop into the driver seat and the instructor hops into the passenger seat, I say "hey shouldn't we do a pre trip"? He replys "yeah maybe".....

So he gets out and checks the lights... I turn on my headlights, they work just fine... he walks around back and says "ok put the brakes on", I obliged, and he says "oh there's no brake lights working on the car"....

He spent more than 6 hours today in city traffic with new drivers behind the wheel.

Just one more thing that actually makes me not want to drive for this company, but hey I could use the money... What a conundrum.

Sent using BrownCafe App

oldngray

nowhere special
I got a funny little story. Actually its kind of freaking scary.

Since I was finishing up my CBT's today I was last to go out and drive. There's 15 people in my class. I hop into the driver seat and the instructor hops into the passenger seat, I say "hey shouldn't we do a pre trip"? He replys "yeah maybe".....

So he gets out and checks the lights... I turn on my headlights, they work just fine... he walks around back and says "ok put the brakes on", I obliged, and he says "oh there's no brake lights working on the car"....

He spent more than 6 hours today in city traffic with new drivers behind the wheel.

Just one more thing that actually makes me not want to drive for this company, but hey I could use the money... What a conundrum.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Few people check back up lights either.