Peak 2013 Disaster

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Here are my predictions for Peak 2013:

1. Peak will be an incredible disaster, a "Perfect Storm" of new hires, DRA, and overall corporate incompetence. The "overflow solution", where Express takes over some Ground shipments, will be an abject failure.

2. Ground and Express drivers will finally be determined to be "different". The Ground parolee box monkey can do certain defined straightlining tasks, but is incapable of higher order decision-making. Management will finally realize that there IS a difference in the skill-set involved and will predictably "handle it" through slogans, new cheerleading acronyms, and more forceful threats. Peak will be so bad that even Memphis will realize this fact.

3. Christmas Day will be mandatory. You had better try and run out of hours as soon as possible.

4. Both Express and Ground will be overwhelmed. My guess is that Express will be delivering Xmas gifts until 12-31 or perhaps even later if there are major outbreaks of bad weather.

5. Individual customers who ship with Express on 12-22 and 12-23 are going to be disappointed because it won't absolutely, positively, get there overnight. In fact, it will take at least 3-4 days. The word will finally start to get out that FedEx is a farce.

6. Management will blame everyone but themselves for being woefully unprepared and understaffed. Many Express locations cannot handle what they have now, especially locations that are already short 10-15 people.

7. There will be violence. I'm figuring that a lot of people are going to lose it this year. Who can really blame them?

8. Major customers are going to be extremely disappointed. I can hardly wait for the messages saying "deliver all Amazon", or "deliver all Apple", etc. There will be so many service failures, RDLs and WDLs, and FUBARS, that a recipient will be grateful just to finally get their package...days late.

9. Upper management is finally going to be exposed as clueless. It will be bad enough that regime change will be considered. Watch for MT3 to be "pursuing new career opportunities" in January. Others may join him. This will be a good thing, as Martha Stewart likes to say. Hopefully, a lot of them go down in flames.

10. Ground will be affirmed as the darling of the company and even more resources will be shifted to Fred's cash cow.

11. Our Call Center Network will be re-evaluated and restructured, because Peak will be the straw that broke the camel's back in terms of their absolute incompetence.

12. There will be a wave of managers either retiring or downgrading immediately after Peak. Again, it will just be the final straw for these folks.

13. Fred S will acknowledge the disaster, but only in passing, and will do nothing of substance to alter our course away from oblivion. DRA will be temporarily suspended and re-worked, but still allowed to live on.

14. Your station floor will be covered with pallets of undelivered and un-attempted freight, much of it decomposing and making your warehouse smell like the inside of a hotel dumpster.

15. Bad attitude employees will become the norm and WAD will be SOP almost everywhere.

16. FedEx is halfway down the toilet. This peak will be the Express death spiral. The opco will continue to exist, but will have to be rebuilt, which will take years.

17. Wall Street will finally notice that this is an organization run by morons. The stock will start to fall accordingly.

Get back to me around the first of the New Year and see how close I have come to predicting the future.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
It is my sincere holiday wish that all of the above come true

'Happy Holidays from your fiends (no, that's not a misspelling) at FedEx!'

DontThrowPackages

And Make sure to only take out the about of stops your goals says to do. If p2 is 40 don't be a hero and take 55. If you're a city route and 65 P2 is your goal, don't take 80. Get to your goal and drop the rest on the floor. I'm sure by now your station is crawling with PT'ers so have management talk them into staying all day and help out. Last think you need are sky high numbers in January when stops aren't so close but more time consuming.

SmithBarney

"overflow solution" please tell me you aren't making it up... as soon as we touch ground freight start signing CARDS!

I doubt it would happen, Ground Contractors would sue for "lost" revenue or something like that.
The same way they did when Express CRRs were picking up G packages at customer locations

bbsam

Staff member
The overflow solution is absolutely true but. Neither you nor I will know which packages have been diverted. Nor, quite frankly, are many going to care. We are going to have so much freight it's ridiculous.

hypo hanna

If your mgr insist u take out more then goal, be sure to bring that exact amount of stops back that night as de01's. pkg not attempted.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
...or you could do the right thing and take care of the customer...

When your company treats you like garbage, customer service goes away. I know you cannot possibly understand this, but cut your wage in half, start charging yourself $400 per month for benefits, and eliminate your retirement plan. Then, go out there and "take care of the customer" and "do the right thing". Is any of this sinking in?

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
When your company treats you like garbage, customer service goes away. I know you cannot possibly understand this, but cut your wage in half, start charging yourself $400 per month for benefits, and eliminate your retirement plan. Then, go out there and "take care of the customer" and "do the right thing". Is any of this sinking in?
Apparently not. He's been spoiled.

Bailey4

Don't forget all the favorites who will whine and bleet about how they do all the work so they can get off early while you still running another routes stops and making pick ups that belong to another route ....well past the time when the Favs have left this holiday season. Spoiler Alert: If you want to stay in they dark about who might be getting off early.....read no further!! If you are in doubt of who will be getting off early...... just refer to the current schedule for those listed off for "Friday after Thanksgiving" who do not belong there. But then again.....how could it be done by "real" seniority unless they posted a sign up sheet for that day (where everyone could see it) ..a week in advance and left it up for more that an hour? Yeah ....or those who have had their routes shortened on that Friday before Thanksgiving because management could only smuggle by so many Favs into the Friday off after Thanksgiving slot. Those are the ones you can count on seeing off early even though others will be buried this holiday season. Merry Christmas...and a hearty Ho! Ho!

bbsam

Staff member

Or you could go get a better job. There's a while thread about jobs better than Fedex.

Nick9075

"overflow solution" please tell me you aren't making it up... as soon as we touch ground freight start signing CARDS!

I doubt it would happen, Ground Contractors would sue for "lost" revenue or something like that.
The same way they did when Express CRRs were picking up G packages at customer locations

Ground contractors can't sue because if the operating agreement that is signed there is specifically a clause about binding arbitration to resolve any disclosure disputes
Where I am things seem to be working well. Contractors know that there contract can either be terminated or not renewed if the disasters involved some of the above. Non delivery, no attempt and breaching scanner integrity can get you terminated. I haven't seen this huge surge in volume in the NYC area probably won't be seeing the five figure weekly settlement checks like last year

Nick9075

...or you could do the right thing and take care of the customer...

Treat you like garbage then throw it right back at them.

STFXG

Ground contractors can't sue because if the operating agreement that is signed there is specifically a clause about binding arbitration to resolve any disclosure disputes
Where I am things seem to be working well. Contractors know that there contract can either be terminated or not renewed if the disasters involved some of the above. Non delivery, no attempt and breaching scanner integrity can get you terminated. I haven't seen this huge surge in volume in the NYC area probably won't be seeing the five figure weekly settlement checks like last year

You know the arbitration clause hasn't held up in court right?

Doc Sorting Dude

Prediction # 4. One year we had snow and ice so bad we were delivering packages after New Years Day. The smell from all the perishables rotting in the warehouse had us gagging.

bbsam

Staff member
Great advice, Mr. Exploitation. Why is it that it's "whining" when a company slashes and burns your compensation package?

You know about the thread I'm talking about. Alot of people talk about those great jobs but why aren't you leaving for it? More talk, still no action.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Prediction # 4. One year we had snow and ice so bad we were delivering packages after New Years Day. The smell from all the perishables rotting in the warehouse had us gagging.

Lovely. That's called the smell of failure...management failure. It always amazes me how the bbsams, Upstates, and other Ground cheerleaders expect us to still work hard when we are treated like dirt. You owe your company no more effort other than to perform the basic tasks of the job. Fred has cut employees back in just about every way possible, yet he expects even higher levels of work. Ground supporters love this, because it parallels their own slave labor camp mentality, where we should always give 100% effort even if we are underpaid and treated like :censored2:. I don't think so.