Peak and OT

Lil Jimmy

I'm starting orientation next Monday. Doing this as a second job. I applied for the 2pm - 8:30pm shift. When I went to get my background they told us any questions related to other employment/obligations need to be address to our supervisor when we start. She also mentioned for Peak they would ask us to come in 2 hours earlier or stay 2 hours later. Is this mandatory? I really have no interest in working more than what I signed up for.

I also have a trip already planned for thanksgiving and I hear that is when peak begins. Is this going to be a problem?

I know once I get into the union after 30-90 days (keep reading different things) I can basically not show up for 4 days and not get fired. Worried they'll fire me before hand do to my refusing OT, and stuff. Should I even bother. Apparently they are in desperate need of people so I hope that would prevent them from canning me.

Last One In

I'm starting orientation next Monday. Doing this as a second job. I applied for the 2pm - 8:30pm shift. When I went to get my background they told us any questions related to other employment/obligations need to be address to our supervisor when we start. She also mentioned for Peak they would ask us to come in 2 hours earlier or stay 2 hours later. Is this mandatory? I really have no interest in working more than what I signed up for.

I also have a trip already planned for thanksgiving and I hear that is when peak begins. Is this going to be a problem?

I know once I get into the union after 30-90 days (keep reading different things) I can basically not show up for 4 days and not get fired. Worried they'll fire me before hand do to my refusing OT, and stuff. Should I even bother. Apparently they are in desperate need of people so I hope that would prevent them from canning me.
I have an idea. Don't show up for 4 days and let us know how that turns out for you.

Lil Jimmy

I have an idea. Don't show up for 4 days and let us know how that turns out for you.
I have a friend who drives who said when he worked in his hub a lot of inion guys would show up 1 day a week and would never get fired. Said the union protected them.

Probably just shouldn't show up at all.
Damn really? I need the extra cash and the shift they had online is the only one what fits my schedule with my other job. Pretty bait and switch to be honest.

I have a friend who drives who said when he worked in his hub a lot of inion guys would show up 1 day a week and would never get fired. Said the union protected them.

Damn really? I need the extra cash and the shift they had online is the only one what fits my schedule with my other job. Pretty bait and switch to be honest.
Well guess what This is the seasonal free period. You will not be in the union once you get hired.
Does not sound like this job is for you so maybe you should go look somewhere else

Lil Jimmy

Well guess what This is the seasonal free period. You will not be in the union once you get hired.
Does not sound like this job is for you so maybe you should go look somewhere else
It's so weird. Do they really expect to get employees in if they aren't flexible? No way someone is going to work at ups for 20-25 hours a week unless they live with mom. People are going to have other jobs.

PPH_over_9000

You know, I agree with everybody else in this thread but I kind of feel like :censored2: it, fill out an application, go to orientation and see what happens.

Your buddy might be right about the building you're applying to work at. Just keep in mind he might be wrong, and don't be surprised if they do terminate you for excessive absences.

For what it's worth, package handling is tougher than driving. Driving's a test of patience and stress management, in my experience, whereas package handling is going to make you work harder than you've probably dreamt possible just to stay afloat amidst a sea of cardboard. (I can't speak for metro/city driving, however. I'd probably quit if I was in D.C. or, god forbid, New York.

You know, I agree with everybody else in this thread but I kind of feel like :censored2: it, fill out an application, go to orientation and see what happens.

Your buddy might be right about the building you're applying to work at. Just keep in mind he might be wrong, and don't be surprised if they do terminate you for excessive absences.
Let's go through this whole thing right now
They're hired seasonal help and you do not plan on being in on one of the business days of the year

So do not apply