Peak hours

TG43

I've worked 1 day in last 2 weeks. Awesome. Job sucks when I work anyways. Hope I can find a real job eventually.

Some of the people I work with says that last peak, the supes screwed everybody out of overtime by making them take an hour break in between double shifts to make it seem like they were working two separate shifts instead of a full 8-9 hours

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Some of the people I work with says that last peak, the supes screwed everybody out of overtime by making them take an hour break in between double shifts to make it seem like they were working two separate shifts instead of a full 8-9 hours
This will be my 9th peak...we work at least 9 hour shifts....never have I gotten more than a 10 min break.

tre305

Random question but I recall one peak maybe 3 years ago when we first started coming in at 1-2 am. We got if i remember correctly two 10 minute breaks during the entire sort. Is that common when working inside and working over 8 hours? I know last peak when we were coming in at 11pm on a Sunday night working up til 7-8 am monday morning we still only got 1 ten minute break so I was just curious on how that worked

aiian

First three weeks of Dec 2O13 I worked 59.95 hours and they had the balls to ask me to work each of those Saturdays.

So yeah... you'll be wishing for those days off half way through December.

PT Car Washer

Random question but I recall one peak maybe 3 years ago when we first started coming in at 1-2 am. We got if i remember correctly two 10 minute breaks during the entire sort. Is that common when working inside and working over 8 hours? I know last peak when we were coming in at 11pm on a Sunday night working up til 7-8 am monday morning we still only got 1 ten minute break so I was just curious on how that worked
I thought you now were to get a 10 minute break per sort when working doubles. Bot yes I remember working 10 hours straight on the boxline slide with one 10 minute break. Should have went home sick after 8 hours.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
For all you part timers, I suggest you look up your state's laws regarding breaks. It might even be posted in your hub/center, along with the federal laws about minimum wage, nondiscrimination, right to organize, etc.
For example, Illinois law provides for a 20 minute unpaid break; it's in the IL ODRISA (One Day Rest In Seven Act), which also means you don't have to work every day of the week in Illinois. The last couple of years I was on the preload shift starting as early as 11 PM, many of us had no problems taking our unpaid meal breaks; just kept track of our hours, and our FT supe was really good about making sure our timecards were accurate.

Did anyone read your your contract supplement about overtime? In some areas, if part timers work over 8 (normal, non-peak double shifting), they only get premium pay after 8. Also, was the unpaid hour break negotiated with the local union? If not was a grievance filed?

Last edited: