Peak season predictions

purehavanne

So gentlemen....it's been peak all year but we are creeping up on official peak season.

How are you preparing and what do you predict will happen this year??

GenericUsername

It's been peak since March. Can't fit anymore into my package car.
Bit the way the newbies are quitting or getting DQed the company better ask for the DOT hours to he extended to 90 hours a week.

Could you seriously imagine doing this for 90 hours a week? There's no amount of water/food that could keep us going for 90 hours with the daily stress we experience. At some point our knees would just give out or we'd pass out from exhaustion - not even joking. As it is, I'm already doing 13-16 miles a day walking.

Method Mensch

So gentlemen....it's been peak all year but we are creeping up on official peak season.

How are you preparing and what do you predict will happen this year??
I'm not worried at all. Management knows what they're doing, they're organized, level-headed and spot on with their volume predictions. They always have a plan and I'm always impressed with it.
what-me-worry.jpg

Could you seriously imagine doing this for 90 hours a week? There's no amount of water/food that could keep us going for 90 hours with the daily stress we experience. At some point our knees would just give out or we'd pass out from exhaustion - not even joking. As it is, I'm already doing 13-16 miles a day walking.
oh it sounds like you need to pick up the pace and start pulling your own weight 😂

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I predict Peak will be a disaster of epic proportions, the company has already failed dealing with the effect from the pandemic. My plan is simply to retire in the middle of October and not work anymore. I might not go back in at all, I have a stress fracture on my left foot and have enjoyed not climbing in and out of a package car the last two weeks.

Undertow

The last two peaks for Me haven't been too awful as there was little to no snow between Thanksgiving and New Years and they finally gave up trying to saddle Me with a helper. This year, there's just not enough room to put out enough loads as things are now and that could well translate into everybody getting many more stops which would of course mean worse load quality plus a helper to add insult to injury.

There's just all kinds of ways for a peak season to go bad. 2017 started badly and We didn't finally catch up until the final Saturday. 2013 started bad and the final week was perhaps the worst time I'd ever experienced in the 3 plus decades I've been there. I could see this one being as bad as 2013 or worse where the last helper wasn't let go until late February.

I predict Peak will be a disaster of epic proportions, the company has already failed dealing with the effect from the pandemic. My plan is simply to retire in the middle of October and not work anymore. I might not go back in at all, I have a stress fracture on my left foot and have enjoyed not climbing in and out of a package car the last two weeks.
Oh sure quit when the going gets tough

Just kidding

Get the friend* outta here.

rod

Retired 22 years
That is why god invented reverse gear---use it.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I think we are going to get destroyed.
Covid is going to keep people out of the stores and malls. Instead of Black Friday combat shopping, they will do everything online.

Nah
An unmitigated disaster. My center is woefully short on cars as it is. On our current trajectory (cars getting red tagged, and volume going up) our fleet of package cars will be outnumbered by rentals soon. That doesn't even begin to speak of the problem of where to load them, since the building has 3 PDCs already, and at 100% capacity.

It will be entertainment the likes of which only UPS can provide.