Peak season preload as a student

clean hairy

We go by the posted start time here, generally 0200 during peak. Posting a 12am start time creates problems. Not everyone can make it, not everyone is needed, and all that ot would hurt the numbers. 12am starters should be full time insiders and volunteers based on seniority, else the sups would just fill the ranks with low pay seasonals desperate to make a good impression. Five hours is all a pter is obligated to work on any given day.
During Peak, you leave as soon as you have worked 5 hours, and let us know what happens the next day.
And, if that was true, there would not be time and 1/2 for PT who work over 5 hours.

Faceplanted

I used to work double shifts during peak. Twilight and midnight. I some how managed to pass my classes.

These people now and days are soooo baby.

I told my teachers my situation and that I might Mis a few lectures ect. I still got high grades on my tests and assignments so they could care less

Emberheart

I used to work double shifts during peak. Twilight and midnight. I some how managed to pass my classes.

These people now and days are soooo baby.

I told my teachers my situation and that I might Mis a few lectures ect. I still got high grades on my tests and assignments so they could care less
Not a baby, looking to maintain my 3.8 in Accounting to land a big 4 gig, it aint ez

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Not a baby, looking to maintain my 3.8 in Accounting to land a big 4 gig, it aint ez
Most times finals r prepared in advance. Your syllabus should tell u the day it is. So u should have ample time to study for a final. Also finals are about two weeks in December. So yes working a normal 8 hour shift and taking an exam is possible.

govols019

You smell that?
We go by the posted start time here, generally 0200 during peak. Posting a 12am start time creates problems. Not everyone can make it, not everyone is needed, and all that ot would hurt the numbers. 12am starters should be full time insiders and volunteers based on seniority, else the sups would just fill the ranks with low pay seasonals desperate to make a good impression. Five hours is all a pter is obligated to work on any given day.

This post makes my head hurt.

You come to work when they tell you to and you leave when they tell you the job is done.

Emberheart

Most times finals r prepared in advance. Your syllabus should tell u the day it is. So u should have ample time to study for a final. Also finals are about two weeks in December. So yes working a normal 8 hour shift and taking an exam is possible.
Thank you, most civilized answer yet

Jkloc420

I have done it before while taking 24 credits. However most finals r staggered and u know when they r. Now sometimes, it's vary rare but the center manager may let u cut out a little early if u have an exam say at 10 am. U just got to make sure u study hard, take good notes, and go to class.

blkmamba

24 credits?

A full load is 12. 15-18 is common.

You will need departmental approval to carry 24.

Unless, of course, you are making it up.
I took twenty four units for a semester. Eighteen at my university and knocked out two lower division classes at a Junior College that were three units each. I took those classes online.

Jkloc420

24 credits?

A full load is 12. 15-18 is common.

You will need departmental approval to carry 24.

Unless, of course, you are making it up.

Besides it was the point that the guy can do it if he wants to. It is hard work but it can be done with in the constraints of working at ups.

dudebro

Yes, you'll have to plan out your time, which is possible, or quit, whatever you choose.

The reason you're getting the response you're getting is your post comes across as indignant about a change of hours. It doesn't seem like you have a concept yet of what the business needs to accomplish. You may not care, but the business still has to deliver a lot more volume during peak vs. other times.

UPS can't tell it's customers they won't get their holiday gifts because you have finals. Imagine if you were on the other end of that call to customer service, and you got told that?

snarts

I get that you can either come in and work at midnight or refuse to and potentially be shown the door but don't you think that is something that UPS should make perfectly clear during the interview process before they hire you? I'm also a student and not once was I told that I would potentially have to start earlier than 4 a.m, or that it would be mandatory. I can make it work but there might be others who might not be able to.

Emberheart

I get that you can either come in and work at midnight or refuse to and potentially be shown the door but don't you think that is something that UPS should make perfectly clear during the interview process before they hire you? I'm also a student and not once was I told that I would potentially have to start earlier than 4 a.m, or that it would be mandatory. I can make it work but there might be others who might not be able to.
HR lady mentioned nothing to me nor did the orientation supervisor about start times being 4 hours earlier...honestly I would be fine with 2 am but midnight is crazy, essentially working overnight shift not early morning

HR lady mentioned nothing to me nor did the orientation supervisor about start times being 4 hours earlier...honestly I would be fine with 2 am but midnight is crazy, essentially working overnight shift not early morning
Not all preloads can start that early. I work in a Hub and Center and the preload can not start until the midnight sort pulls which can be 3:30 or later during Peak. I wouldn't worry about it until closer to Thanksgiving.

dudebro

Well, at the point HR is orienting an incoming group, only 1 in 10 are even going to make it to peak and most of the group doesn't remember what they were told that day, much less 3 months from now.
Also, we don't adjust the start time based on "feels". Like, 2am feels ok but midnight seems crazy. Lets say a building can flow 10k per hour. The drivers start at 830. The volume is 85000. Well, that's a midnight start assuming there's no night sort. Simple math.

km3

Not all preloads can start that early. I work in a Hub and Center and the preload can not start until the midnight sort pulls which can be 3:30 or later during Peak. I wouldn't worry about it until closer to Thanksgiving.

I'm not sure how they did it, but they were able to run midnight and preload concurrently during peak at my building. Preload started at 11:30 and finished at around 9 (which is when they finish now). Midnight started at 10:30 and finsihed at around 5:30, but there were a few days when they forced a substantial share of noonday's volume on us keeping us around 'til 8:30 or so. A few PDs didn't finish until 10.

He has it lucky being on preload. Sure, starting up to 4 hours earlier sucks...but at least you have a (theoretical) end time (when the drivers leave). People on midnight started to feel like they were going to be forced to stay 24/7.