Penalty for a wrongly denied request?

dudebro

I know this isn't going to be a normal situation, but say your best mate is getting married and wants you in the wedding party. You give your request 3 months in advance and management oks it. 2 weeks before the wedding a senior driver has a championship softball game their child is playing in, and management tells you that your previously approved request is now denied because someone more senior wants the day off.

Both are valid reasons to want a day off, but would you really be ok in that situation? I used those examples as weddings are usually planned in advance and championships for sporting events aren't set until much closer to the game itself as the preceding games still need to be played.
Give them both off and tell the PDS to run the -2 driver plan for that day.

Nimnim

The Nim
My svd request for tomorrow was denied 'by seniority.'

That's fine, except for the lower seniority driver who got his svd for tommorow.

Oops.

The lower seniority driver was planning on calling off Friday. Per the contract, call-in is forced to use svd if available. That is why he was added to the calender for svd for Friday, after my svd had been denied.

In other words, just call in every time.

Ok, you requested the day off ahead of time, nothing wrong there. The question I'm now having is how could your requested in advance day be superseded by someone who is going to call in the same day. If they call in and have to use an svd fine, but if it's known the day before or earlier then it's no longer a call out but a scheduled day and they should follow the proper procedure which would include seniority and past practice.

iruhnman630

. If they call in and have to use an svd fine, but if it's known the day before or earlier then it's no longer a call out but a scheduled day and they should follow the proper procedure which would include seniority and past practice.
Yup.

I don't think a call-in should be charged as an svd. You don't work, you don't get paid, unless a paid day is available for the day and the paid day is requested.

Single vacation days are just a spread out vacation week, and just like a vacation week, we should be allowed to use those days as we see fit.

Nimnim

The Nim
Yup.

I don't think a call-in should be charged as an svd. You don't work, you don't get paid, unless a paid day is available for the day and the paid day is requested.

Single vacation days are just a spread out vacation week, and just like a vacation week, we should be allowed to use those days as we see fit.

In my area I believe the equivalent is option days. We all have some, and management is supposed to use them when you call in. They usually don't do it though and it just benefits us as you can't really be disciplined for attendance if they don't code you properly and you still have option days available. My experience is hourly in the hub and not driving though so it's a little different. Not having enough drivers vs too many people calling out from a hub shift and either asking people to stay for the next shift or calling people in early and not having to worry about DOT requirements and hours.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I know this isn't going to be a normal situation, but say your best mate is getting married and wants you in the wedding party. You give your request 3 months in advance and management oks it. 2 weeks before the wedding a senior driver has a championship softball game their child is playing in, and management tells you that your previously approved request is now denied because someone more senior wants the day off.

Both are valid reasons to want a day off, but would you really be ok in that situation? I used those examples as weddings are usually planned in advance and championships for sporting events aren't set until much closer to the game itself as the preceding games still need to be played.

This is where you make the call that does it all