Penalty Pay Greivance

Chemo

Double check me, but by memory, first you notify them of the shortage. They have until your 2nd scheduled workday after that to correct it and get it to you with no penalty. The penalty pay clock can't start ticking until you file, so file ASAP and if they actually fix it in time, the grievance simply gets settled or becomes irrelevant. But, as is my experience, if they don't fix it, you will get as much penalty pay as possible until they do. I don't know if the normal 10 working days to be "timely" necessarily applies to this situation, but I wouldn't wait that long to file just in case.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Double check me, but by memory, first you notify them of the shortage. They have until your 2nd scheduled workday after that to correct it and get it to you with no penalty. The penalty pay clock can't start ticking until you file, so file ASAP and if they actually fix it in time, the grievance simply gets settled or becomes irrelevant. But, as is my experience, if they don't fix it, you will get as much penalty pay as possible until they do. I don't know if the normal 10 working days to be "timely" necessarily applies to this situation, but I wouldn't wait that long to file just in case.

The reimbursement schedule is based on the dollar amount in question.

The 10 day rule does apply.

Indecisi0n

In our local they have a "reasonable" amount of time to fix it. I normally give them a week. Submit to them on paper (signed and dated) of the mistake at the beginning of the week and be sure to keep your copy. If you don't receive the correction in the next check is file. When you file you can show that you have them a reasonable amount of time to fix it which will then result in them paying what they own you plus penalty pay. I love free money.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
The reimbursement schedule is based on the dollar amount in question.

The 10 day rule does apply.
This person is in the Central Region and the $ dollar amount must be more than $20, which 4 hours will certainly qualify.
Chemo is correct about the company having 2 days to fix it after being notified.
So, the OP has 90 days from the time they receive the shorted check to file for penalty pay, but the the penalty pay only covers the time from when the grievance is filed and beyond.

Last edited:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
This person is in the Central Region and the $ dollar amount must be more than $20, which 4 hours will certainly qualify.
Chemo is correct about the company having 2 days to fix it after being notified.
So, the OP has 90 days from the time they receive the shorted check to file for penalty pay, but the the penalty pay only covers the time from when the grievance is filed and beyond.
Article 8 Central Region Supplemental and Article 17 National Master.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
At this point why not just save the option day for later in the year?

Because they need the money???

That would be less dramatic.

How is it "dramatic" to want to be paid properly?

What I think you two don't see (over your upturned brown noses and high brows) is that we aren't all in the same financial situation, especially in regards to part timers.
Why should they...and why would they...tolerate having 20% or more of their paycheck withheld on any given week?
While us "long in the tooth" drivers can easily absorb such an anomaly or oversight, a part timer may incur substantial hardship when a days pay is missing from their check.

Personally, I will grieve every time my check isn't right and isn't promptly corrected, out of general principle.
All I ever ask for, all I demand, is to be afforded every right and penny provided for in our collective bargaining agreement.

PT Car Washer

What if they don't pay that one either? Should he keep losing pay hoping they'll finally notice? Part timers need every hour of every check.
Then go to work and quit taking days off. You get paid for your optional days if you do not take them off. I get paid for mine, I think around the first of May, for the last 20 years.

PT Car Washer

26 years in and I always run out of days before the year is over.

Personal, sick and vacation days are there for a reason. Use them.
PTers need every hour of every check. I am thinking of working my first weeks vacation the week after this week. PM Air driver is off so I may run his pick up route. Almost like a vacation.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Then go to work and quit taking days off. You get paid for your optional days if you do not take them off. I get paid for mine, I think around the first of May, for the last 20 years.

So...not taking your paid holiday is the key to getting paid for them? OP was asking about one 4 hour discrepancy.