Pension Cuts Blocked

oldngray

nowhere special
The problem is what will happen when the fund runs out of money. No way the government will step in and bail us out. It sounds like Central States is saying if the cuts aren't approved we will all get screwed when the fund becomes insolvent.

rod

Retired 22 years
The problem is what will happen when the fund runs out of money. No way the government will step in and bail us out. It sounds like Central States is saying if the cuts aren't approved we will all get screwed when the fund becomes insolvent.

Like I said--its a long way from over.

rod

Retired 22 years
When Rep. Kline (Mn.) tacked his pension cut rider onto a bill that had to be passed and then retired shortly afterwards, that just STUNK of dirty under the counter politics. I don't believe anything the Teamsters, UPS or Washington D.C. says anymore.

rod

Retired 22 years
What if the fund now goes broke?

I imagine it will at the rate they are going (if they are telling the truth). Something has to be done but cutting a small group of retired old bastards pensions in half was not the fix all that they tried to jam down our throats.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Just posted a news story about this.

Treasury rejects Teamster pension cuts - Star Tribune

The U.S. Treasury Department has rejected the deep retirement cuts sought by the ailing Teamsters Central States Pension Fund, to the cheers of more than a quarter million trucking retirees and workers around the country.

The government’s decision Friday does nothing to solve the dire financial problems of the Central States fund, which faces insolvency in 10 years. Some say the retirement fund’s only hope is a federal bailout.