Pension Question

Narlis

Is there anywhere to look at my pension or how its doing? I know we have to reach a certain hours worked per year and all that for the year counted and i would like to keep tabs on it if possible

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
You should get an annual statement telling you how many weeks you accrued the previous year.

You should also receive an annual statement on how well funded your pension currently is.

Narlis

hmm.. I asked around, looks like we dont get a paper telling us how many weeks we accrued around here but we do get the annual funding notice. i got that each year

upschuck

hmm.. I asked around, looks like we dont get a paper telling us how many weeks we accrued around here but we do get the annual funding notice. i got that each year
The only way I see it is through ups's retirement calculator. This is for the central, which ups took over control of.

Shiftless

Is there anywhere to look at my pension or how its doing? I know we have to reach a certain hours worked per year and all that for the year counted and i would like to keep tabs on it if possible

First off! Good for you for being pro active! The time to start planning your retirement is never soon enough for most! Pay attention young, retire Young!

Your Local Business Agent (BA) should be able to address this question. More than likely comes to your building from time to time. Have the BA help you out. Or, ask your Union Steward if he can connect the dots for you.

oldbrownguy

Go to upsers.com and in the search tab enter "total rewards portal" and follow the links. It's actually a pretty good web site. It shows your personal financial data.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Retirement calculator only works for some employees, no, I’m not joking. I know 3 people I had log on the same way I do standing right beside me and they get errors. I used to have that problem, then I commented on the UPSers.com when they were doing the payroll switch, said “You guys screw with what ain’t broke and leave what is, example the retirement calculator”. Got a response back to email them, I did, then it was fixed and I could use it. But as to no ones surprise, they didn’t fix it system wide as my coworkers still couldn’t use it.

Last edited:

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
Do not be surprised, most everybody who has inquired about their future pension benefits gets smoke and mirrors. It is a common practice, stonewalling at it's best. Akin to the dark web. Are the 3 people who could not get access to the website in the IBT/UPS plan? That could be the issue..I am not, therefore I do not count and therefore I get no correct information about my pension benefits.

Rabbit

Go to upsers.com and in the search tab enter "total rewards portal" and follow the links. It's actually a pretty good web site. It shows your personal financial data.
Last i checked the pension is a set amount not dependent on what you pay in. There are sites where you can see your payout but the best p l ace would probably be your local union site.

Rabbit

Pension is free money but not gaurenteed money it can be taken away at any time. Everyone should be contributing into a 401k which ups does offer a roth and create your own retirement. The extra 3000 a month you get from pension is just the topping on the cake like social security.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I used to get a pension statement every year from the western conference. gave me all the info. hours worked , projected pension, company input. credits or points earned etc.

call your pension administrator.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Pension is free money but not gaurenteed money it can be taken away at any time. Everyone should be contributing into a 401k which ups does offer a roth and create your own retirement. The extra 3000 a month you get from pension is just the topping on the cake like social security.
I have been preaching this for years here. it's just good common sense not to have all your eggs in one basket. 401k, IRA , pension , social security , and cash savings.

since i retired 3 years before SS , we lived on our pension quite easily since we paid off house beforehand. still have not touched the 401k or IRA ( watching them both grow ) and not touched cash savings either as of yet . ( thank God , no emergencies ).

starting SS next month which is pure gravy. we have no idea what to do with the 401k and IRA. we have lived below our means all our lives and it's hard to change now at this stage. we surely don't want to leave it all to the kids , hahaha

the main thing we focus on now is staying as healthy as possible to enjoy our retirement. hard to do as my spouse has had several strokes and has cancer but we do the best we can. keeping him comfortable as possible is the main goal.

Rabbit

I have been preaching this for years here. it's just good common sense not to have all your eggs in one basket. 401k, IRA , pension , social security , and cash savings.

since i retired 3 years before SS , we lived on our pension quite easily since we paid off house beforehand. still have not touched the 401k or IRA ( watching them both grow ) and not touched cash savings either as of yet . ( thank God , no emergencies ).

starting SS next month which is pure gravy. we have no idea what to do with the 401k and IRA. we have lived below our means all our lives and it's hard to change now at this stage. we surely don't want to leave it all to the kids , hahaha

the main thing we focus on now is staying as healthy as possible to enjoy our retirement. hard to do as my spouse has had several strokes and has cancer but we do the best we can. keeping him comfortable as possible is the main goal.
Since they make you start taking a minimum take that move it to mutual funds and watch it keep growing

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Pension is free money but not guaranteed money it can be taken away at any time. Everyone should be contributing into a 401k which ups does offer a roth and create your own retirement. The extra 3000 a month you get from pension is just the topping on the cake like social security.
It's not free, you pay for it with a lifetime of labor. Taking it away after you've already earned it is akin to theft, but that seems to be all the rage these days and so I agree that everyone should be maxing out their 401k.