Pension Questions-Western Region

I GOT ONE MORE

Planning my departure from UPS and getting information from multiple sources. Can't hurt to ask here too.

I know I must choose one of 12 dates to be my pension effective date......any 1st of the month.

Many choose to follow this date with whatever vacation time still left on the books, thus receiving their 1st pension check followed by weeks of vacation pay.

What if I selected Dec 1 as my date followed by 6 weeks of vacation pay, wouldn't I still be considered on the books and benefit from UPS holiday pay over Xmas and New Year?

If not, it's still uplifting to wave bye-bye just before peak !!!

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Planning my departure from UPS and getting information from multiple sources. Can't hurt to ask here too.

I know I must choose one of 12 dates to be my pension effective date......any 1st of the month.

Many choose to follow this date with whatever vacation time still left on the books, thus receiving their 1st pension check followed by weeks of vacation pay.

What if I selected Dec 1 as my date followed by 6 weeks of vacation pay, wouldn't I still be considered on the books and benefit from UPS holiday pay over Xmas and New Year?

Normally December is blacked out for vacations.

barnyard

KTM rider
Here, your vacation would have to end on Thanksgiving week. We had a guy last year that wanted to do that very thing. He ended up working his last day in October.

IESucks

All vacation pay must be taken before retirement date.

browndevil

Just need to make sure you don't work or are compensated, a day in a month you plan on collecting your first pension check.

I GOT ONE MORE

All vacation pay must be taken before retirement date.

Ok, could be......this is something I need to ask recent retirees. Fellow workers have retired, yet stayed on the books while their vacations were exhausted. You imply their pension effective date (PED) was then after all vacation time was utilized.

For example, homeboy has 8 weeks of accrued PTO and leaves the company on Jan 1.......his PED was therefore Mar 1 ?

I GOT ONE MORE

Just need to make sure you don't work or are compensated, a day in a month you plan on collecting your first pension check.

From what I understand, you should retire immediately PRIOR to the 1st of a month. That way you only miss a day or two before pension income kicks in on the 1st. If you retire, say on the 2nd or 3rd of any month, you will wait until the 1st of the next month to start collecting.

However, your response sings the same tune as IESucks, that all PTO must be resolved before receiving pension benefits.

Maplewood

Hopefully you are not a brown nose and give up your route in writing so the management has to immediately bid it instead of :censored2:ting on it for 6 more weeks till you're off the books.

Coldworld

60 months and counting

You are fretting about 2 extra paid days??? I would just gtfo after the 6 weeks vacation and wouldn’t look back... you are in the west you will be enjoying a great pension that many in other plans would die to have

IESucks

Ok, could be......this is something I need to ask recent retirees. Fellow workers have retired, yet stayed on the books while their vacations were exhausted. You imply their pension effective date (PED) was then after all vacation time was utilized.

For example, homeboy has 8 weeks of accrued PTO and leaves the company on Jan 1.......his PED was therefore Mar 1 ?
It's up to you to know and plan accordingly. However anything you don't use will be given to you in a live check instead of direct deposit

I GOT ONE MORE

You are fretting about 2 extra paid days??? I would just gtfo after the 6 weeks vacation and wouldn’t look back... you are in the west you will be enjoying a great pension that many in other plans would die to have
It's not the extra days as much as it is leaving during peak, but you have an excellent point.

I GOT ONE MORE

It's up to you to know and plan accordingly. However anything you don't use will be given to you in a live check instead of direct deposit

All right, got that. That's likely how it will play out. I'll update if I learn more. And you are right, it is up to me !!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
OK, thanks captain obvious.
How about......is it blacked out for retirement too ?
They owe you for all accrued vacation time, regardless of when you take it. So yes, you can retire on December 1st and you will technically still be on the payroll until your time is used up.

IESucks

All right, got that. That's likely how it will play out. I'll update if I learn more. And you are right, it is up to me !!
Been there done that. Didn't even know I had a check coming. Happened to look on upsers.com and saw I had a 4000 check waiting at ups. No need to update me..lol. I already know how it works