Pensions everywhere need to be alert.

Phenom5

This seems like a public pension so a bit different.
This is another reason we should be in favor of no longer having a pension but instead 401k contributions that are automatic. Id imagine they could easily do 10k per full-timer, if not more.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
This is another reason we should be in favor of no longer having a pension but instead 401k contributions that are automatic. Id imagine they could easily do 10k per full-timer, if not more.
Fetterman to the rescue.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
401k can’t be touched til age 59&1/2. Why would anyone want to work an extra 4 and a half years? And why not just contribute yourself and have pension AND 401k?

MyTripisCut

Johney

Not all plans allow this. Plus you can’t take it and roll it to another plan like an IRA. I still think a pension and a 401k is better.
Maybe not all, but aren't you in the UPS/Teamster 401K plan? Are they not all the same for us? I thought we were all in the same plan?

ManInBrown

No thanks. I’ll do the 401k on my own and take my pension also.

MyTripisCut

Maybe not all, but aren't you in the UPS/Teamster 401K plan? Are they not all the same for us? I thought we were all in the same plan?
I am. We are.
But….
The article mentioned company sponsored plans. I’m assuming ours is not company sponsored at this point. That’s why I was reluctant to go down the rabbit hole. Also, if we were to negotiate a 401K with a match as opposed to a pension, I think it would be a mistake. We’d be opening Pandora’s box as to what percentage the match would be in negotiations down the line and we all know how UPS operates. The pension negotiation is an hourly contribution made by UPS and it just seems a better option to me to have both without the matching contribution.

I am. We are.
But….
The article mentioned company sponsored plans. I’m assuming ours is not company sponsored at this point. That’s why I was reluctant to go down the rabbit hole. Also, if we were to negotiate a 401K with a match as opposed to a pension, I think it would be a mistake. We’d be opening Pandora’s box as to what percentage the match would be in negotiations down the line and we all know how UPS operates. The pension negotiation is an hourly contribution made by UPS and it just seems a better option to me to have both without the matching contribution.
Well you know a lot of people would never put enough in their 401k to have a good retirement plan.
But it would be nice if they offered a small match on top of the pension