Perfect reason not to use your own cell phone

BROWN430

I only give my number to customers that are shippers in case they are running late or have problems.I will call a customer in the winter if I can't get their package to them for some reason. They are usually thankful that I took the extra effort to get it to them and I won't have to mess with it the next day in the snow.

some1else

getting a signature doesnt matter. the customer claims they did not recieve package. you have a signature 2 miles from there house? whats that prove?

dont have to believe me go ask you LP

barnyard

KTM rider
My fave cell phone experience.......

One winter Thursday, we had a heavy snow forecast. We were told to deliver everything in town, but to use discretion in rural areas. The north/south roads were not horrible, but the east/west roads were. I got to a crossroads about 3/4 of a mile from a farm and called them.

Me, "I am here, if you want your package, I can wait for 5ish minutes and you can meet me here, otherwise, we will get it to you tomorrow."

Her, "When did UPS start hiring pusillanimous that cannot drive in snow."

Me, "The road in front of your place looks like an ungroomed snowmobile trail, if you can make, I'll be here."

Her, "I'll be right there."

I could see the house and saw her get a car and her pickup stuck in their driveway. I saw her walk back to the house and called.

"You gonna make it here?"

Her, very, very sheepishly, "Uh, I guess there is like a foot of snow in front of our house, so probably not, but I guess I do appreciate you trying."

To the OP. Good on you for trying.

getting a signature doesnt matter. the customer claims they did not recieve package. you have a signature 2 miles from there house? whats that prove?

It proves that you met the guy, happens all the time. You got a signature just in case. It takes you out of the loop. A signature 2 miles from the house is as good as a signature at the house.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Re: Perfect reason For not having a cell phone

This is my motto. You will never, ever have someone you don't want calling you, if you don't have one in the first place. If you do have one and don't want someone to get your number, use *67. If you have one and I call you on it, just to be sent to voice mail, I won't be calling back. Cell phones are a nuisance. Try living without one and see how peaceful life becomes again. BTW, this thread would never have been started if the OP didn't have a cell phone. Also, if the pkg was so necessary in the first place, the consignee would have been there waiting.
nocellphones.jpg

Last edited:

Bad Gas!

I call customers all the time to help me as well as them..I del early am , so I've had customers want me to come back across a couple of zip codes..I tell them if they want the pkg , they can meet me on the fly..They have met me on route in trace and are thankful after driving 30 minutes to get pkg.....

tarbar66

I had an Early Air delivery for a high rise apartment building. I get into the lobby and the system to call a particular apartment is out of order. There is a phone number on the package (an envelope) which is from a company's payroll department (so it's problaby someone's paycheck) I wait about 5 minutes for someone to come in or out, no luck. Against my better judgement, I use my own cell phone to call the number on the package, no answer, I leave a quick message and go on my way, delivery notice left. This town is actually covered by another center, but the center I work out handles the EAM's for this town. I will not be able to return.

Within the hour, I start getting a call from the person who was supposed to be receiving this package. I realize I've made a mistake when he starts blowing up my phone. He called 26 times, and starts leaving messages about how he's gonna kick someone's ass if he doesn't get his package. Now I'm definetly not going back. Lesson well learned, don't use your own cell phone for work related purposes.

Good idea on not going back. Every UPSer has dealt with a special customer such as this one. they are usually only 1 in a 1,000.

Blocking your cell number is a great idea in the future.

Please follow up with us on this "butt hole" if you care to.

Brown Rocket

Center Manager has my number, MY on road has my number, and my "friends" have my number. Everytime I find my number written in on the OMS office list I scratch it off. Everytime the building number calls me I wont answer. My cell phone is to help me, not them.

I call consignees but I dial *67 and leave the 800 number for call back. If they want to meet me, give me your number through OMS and I will call you and tell you where I am when I am there. Also,I make sure they have ID and have made arrangements through UPS, that way there is proof my signature two miles down the road is real.

barnyard

KTM rider
Steve, come back in a few years when the girls get older and let us know if you still don't have a cell phone?:wink2:

What he said.

I also hate carrying a cell phone.

Occasionally though, I call my 18 or 21 year old daughters during my break. It really is a nice change of pace to talk to them for 5 or 10 minutes during the day.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I do not give my cell phone# out to customers. It is a poor business practice to become reliant in any way on a phone # that will be irrelevant every time I am on vacation or otherwise not working.

I will, on very rare occasions, use my cell phone for work purposes...but it will always be on my terms and not the company's or the customers. There are times where direct communication saves time and reduces stress on my part.

If the package is missing an apt# and it has a phone# on the label I will usually call the customer and try to make service on it, particularly if the pkg is medication or appears to be a birthday gift...but if I leave a message I am very clear about the fact that they will need to call the 1-800 number and not my cellphone number to make further delivery arrangements.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
My wife works in an office and sits in a cubicle all day. She doesnt have a window, so me and my cell phone camera are her "eyes of the world". I have her email address programmed into my phone so whenever I see a deer or a cute dog or a pretty tree or something I take a picture of it and email it to her. Its a neat little connection that we maintain in the midst of what can often be a dreary work day.

barnyard

KTM rider
My wife works in an office and sits in a cubicle all day. She doesnt have a window, so me and my cell phone camera are her "eyes of the world". I have her email address programmed into my phone so whenever I see a deer or a cute dog or a pretty tree or something I take a picture of it and email it to her. Its a neat little connection that we maintain in the midst of what can often be a dreary work day.

That's a good idea. Bon Bon always wants to see the dogs on my route. We just got unlimited texting (welcome to the modern age, eh.) I can easily snap a photo and send them whilst eating lunch.

trinity

I never give my number out. . . learned the hard way and had a business calling me all the time to see if I could deliver early and how much longer they had to wait for their package.

Johney

SDN with DL number on it as well as sign the DIAD?