Perfect scenario

Scuderia1

I thought I would get some solid advice here so I thought I'd ask. My second day with sup on the road. I got to drive back and a little towards the end.

I asked him what the perfect scenario would be for training he advised me it would be first day sup shows you. Then you use the board and do all that. Then the third day you drive while he watches. Then bang the persons trained. Is that time frame normal and is one suppose to catch everything that week? What your thoughts thanks.

Sent using BrownCafe App

JL 0513

Seems fairly normal. Depends on whether you have any prior driving experience (such as being a Saturday air driver). You may have a Sup as many as 4 days and then shadowing after that if you have no experience.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
In a perfect scenario, yeah that would be it. But your not going to learn how to drive truck, learn diad, and learn the route in 3 days. But don't worry, its all bout the learning curve, itll take you a good month before you really start to feel comfortable. Remember as a driver you have to multitask all day long mentally and physically. Itll take a while to get that mental n physical thing down. We have all been through it. Most important thing though is don't wreck that big brown box and don't get hurt in your first 30 to 40 days while your trying to qualify.

PT Car Washer

In a perfect scenario, yeah that would be it. But your not going to learn how to drive truck, learn diad, and learn the route in 3 days. But don't worry, its all bout the learning curve, itll take you a good month before you really start to feel comfortable. Remember as a driver you have to multitask all day long mentally and physically. Itll take a while to get that mental n physical thing down. We have all been through it. Most important thing though is don't wreck that big brown box and don't get hurt in your first 30 to 40 days while your trying to qualify.
Are you Schitzo? How do you turn it on and off?

Ouch

Oh and don't expect your loads to look like the ones when your sup is with you. Welcome to the truck lol lol.

Rainman

Its all good.
One thing you want to do is show continual improvement. It can be gradual, but as long as you get a little better each day you should be fine. You're going to make mistakes, so don't beat yourself up when it happens. Learn from them and apply what you learn.

Kmart sux. So does Walmart. And Orion.

BigBrown3605

I asked him what the perfect scenario would be for training he advised me it would be first day sup shows you. Then you use the board and do all that. Then the third day you drive while he watches. Then bang the persons trained. Is that time frame normal and is one suppose to catch everything that week? What your thoughts thanks.Sent using BrownCafe App

Please refrain from using the words "bang" and "trained" in the same sentence.........

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Most sups want to be off the car with a new driver in 3-5 days and to not have to get on again. I rode on the first day, then I drove 2nd & 3rd day. 4th day he took the training wheels off and I fell on my face & he had someone standing by to help. I got a little better every day but was far from scratching after like a week and a half so he came back out with me for 1/2 a day. I watched what he did & emulated it and scratched from then on.

Scuderia1

One post you sound like a Harvard grad, the next like an 8 miler.

That's funny lol

I drove for a very little period of time . The sup has been trying to get it done fast. It's more about speed then actually learning. Just my opinion.
Another thing that just came to my mind is the sup says he's been working that centre for 12 years. He says he's never been on the training route and it's all a new area. He says he's trained a lot of guys in that centre, Is that even possible lol?

Sent using BrownCafe App

Scottyhawk

What is it? A brown box. Duh
No, that is why you have 30 days.
First 3 days are with on-car.
first day sup drives you watch and learn the board. Second day you should drive on area and drive and deliver a couple of hours while on-car observes, then on-car drives for a bit and then you drive back to building. Day 3 you drive all day and on-car observes.

Day 4 and 5 you should be on your own. Day 6 on-car is with you to observe. Day 7-10 on your own.
After day 10, on-car should be with you one day a week to observe and advise you of what you need work on up to day 25.

Between day 25 and 30 if they feel you have qualified you will then ride with center manager and DM to give their blessing

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
You get 5 days with sup,,then a sup on an off again for the next few weeks,then a ride with the center manager and Dm ??
Wow how things have changed !! I got a 3 day ride with a sup and a map and a go get em ! I guess the 80's are ovah !!!

ups1990

A lot of good advice here.
Make mental notes of where the delivery points are, write them down if you have to. Back when I was a new driver, I'd ask the people on route where does the regular driver park and so on, asking other cover drivers about the your training route helps as well. Usually, other drivers are happy to help you along the way. Be safe!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I thought I would get some solid advice here so I thought I'd ask. My second day with sup on the road. I got to drive back and a little towards the end.

I asked him what the perfect scenario would be for training he advised me it would be first day sup shows you. Then you use the board and do all that. Then the third day you drive while he watches. Then bang the persons trained. Is that time frame normal and is one suppose to catch everything that week? What your thoughts thanks.

Sent using BrownCafe App
It sounds like something a supervisor would say.

In the real world, however, it takes a lot more than 3 days to get to "bang, a person is trained."

You aren't going to catch everything your first week, or the second, or the third. Your supervisor is simply trying to pressure you into working as fast as possible and he is trying to make you feel like its your fault when things don't go 100% by the book. The faster you work, the better he looks on the daily report and he will say or do anything to look better on that report.

rod

Retired 22 years
I got ridden with two days---then sent on my own. I was trained by a center manager from another center. He drove half the first day and turned it over to me after that. I never attended any kind of UPS school - period- none- ever. I used that excuse for my whole career when they got on my case. It got to be funny after about 20 years. It wasn't exactly rocket science to write 6 numbers and an address on a delivery record and get a signature. I remember the second day of training the center manager had stayed in the truck and was watching me deliver to a bank. He saw me stop for a second to get a drink of water (it was a super hot day) . His exact words to me were "I let you do it by yourself and you go to hell on me." That was back before the "drink lots of water to stay hydrated" craze kicked in.