Permanent qualifying

ThyDevourer

Starting permanent qualifying this week and looking for advice for making book. I got lucky enough to know the route I will be qualifying on, (ran it all last peak) so my area knowledge is pretty good. We have to scratch 5 days straight to make book. Any general advice from the vets would be appreciated.

By The Book

Set your truck up how you will deliver it on your 30 minute lunch (eat and sort). I felt ok driving 5mph over the whole day. A little faster workpace for those 5days. I don't recommend pre recording stops as this can get you into trouble. If you are allowed to be in your truck before start time, that may help get your plan together.

ThyDevourer

Set your truck up how you will deliver it on your 30 minute lunch (eat and sort). I felt ok driving 5mph over the whole day. A little faster workpace for those 5days. I don't recommend pre recording stops as this can get you into trouble. If you are allowed to be in your truck before start time, that may help get your plan together.
Thanks. I usually get in a little early 15-20 minutes and set up air (air heavy route but fortunately mainly envelopes.) I usually set up my resi's after finishing my commercial. I guess my main issue is finding commercial early in the day due to the truck being a mess. It's an 800 and usually has over 300 pieces.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Starting permanent qualifying this week and looking for advice for making book. I got lucky enough to know the route I will be qualifying on, (ran it all last peak) so my area knowledge is pretty good. We have to scratch 5 days straight to make book. Any general advice from the vets would be appreciated.
I've seen many drivers qualify without running scratch, ever.
The managers know the routes and the bastardized time studies that go with them.
They have an unwritten variance built into those standards.

Be on-time, work hard and safe.
Dot all your "i's" and cross all your "t's", and at no time let them see talking to the union steward.
Do these things and you will be fine.
The company has invested time and money in your training, and DQing you is the last thing they want to do, unless you give them a glaring reason.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
One of the buildings in my old division couldn't get any feeder shifters because everyone on the sort had a DUI within the previous few years. ORS ended up having to do it.
Shifting is full time work.
Sort employees and ORS's would be grieved every day and twice on Sunday here if they climbed behind the wheel of a yard bird.

From some of your stories, I firmly believe that I would possibly "earn" an extra $10,000+ a year in grievance settlements if I worked in your Division.

ThyDevourer

I've seen many drivers qualify without running scratch, ever.
The managers know the routes and the bastardized time studies that go with them.
They have an unwritten variance built into those standards.

Be on-time, work hard and safe.
Dot all your "i's" and cross all your "t's", and at no time let them see talking to the union steward.
Do these things and you will be fine.
The company has invested time and money in your training, and DQing you is the last thing they want to do, unless you give them a glaring reason.
Thanks for the advice, I've seen a few people get DQ'd for production but they also didn't strike me as very competent workers and were running way over allowed.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Shifting is full time work.
Sort employees and ORS's would be grieved every day and twice on Sunday here if they climbed behind the wheel of a yard bird.

From some of your stories, I firmly believe that I would possibly "earn" an extra $10,000+ a year in grievance settlements if I worked in your Division.
I transferred buildings and you know what, guys are 5x more miserable because all the grieving and nonsense back and forth creates a gotcha mentality. In my old division it was a get it done mentality on both sides.

barnyard

KTM rider
Walk like you have to go to the bathroom, not like you are running from the cops.

Back when I was doing my non productive feeder week, we ate at a sandwich shop. Went back to the hub to do something and were at the gate ready to leave. Rumble town. Supe pointed me towards the nearest bathroom and I was off.

That evening when we were going over the day's observation, he had written down, "Walk at a brisk pace, do not run."