Personal Cell Phone Used For FedEx Business

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I know this is very widespread, and there is ZERO reason you should be using any of your cell phone minutes (even if you have an Unlimited Plan) on behalf of FedEx. There are plenty of people who call customers, stay in touch with Dispatch etc. on their cell phones. STOP GIVING A FREE SUBSIDY to Rat Bastard Smith!!

Make them call customers and never give your cell phone number to Dispatch or management.

Be smart.

vantexan

I know this is very widespread, and there is ZERO reason you should be using any of your cell phone minutes (even if you have an Unlimited Plan) on behalf of FedEx. There are plenty of people who call customers, stay in touch with Dispatch etc. on their cell phones. STOP GIVING A FREE SUBSIDY to Rat Bastard Smith!!

Make them call customers and never give your cell phone number to Dispatch or management.

Be smart.
Love how they tell us to never use our cellphones while driving, keep it in the back of the truck. Then our mgrs call us on our cellphones.

dezguy

I know plenty of people who use their phones for company use. Had my manager ask me to call and laughed when I saw the message. A coworker, who I was grabbing a missort from was more than happy to hand over their phone so I could call. I refused and called later in the day when I got to a stop who I knew wouldn't mind letting me use their phone.

thedownhillEXPRESS

Exactly.
The mangers are all provided cell phones.
Ask them for their personal # next time they want you to call them.
And then post it here so we can get all our friends to text bomb the out of touch unethical rooster suckers.

whenIgetthere

Love how they tell us to never use our cellphones while driving, keep it in the back of the truck. Then our mgrs call us on our cellphones.

Van, They can't call you if you don't give them your number. The only number FedEx has for me is my home ground line, and I NEVER call them from my cell so they can't capture the number. I am new to my route in the past six months, and at least a dozen customers have asked for my number, stating the former courier on the route gave them his. I just tell them 1-800-Go-Fedex!

DontThrowPackages

If you don't want someone calling you at your home just to say please be on the look out for my package tomorrow morning. People don't care about your off the clock time.

MechLift

Especially while on California mandated lunch. Their upcoming report to the senior manager is all that is on their minds.

SmithBarney

my cell phone is my "home" phone. it doesn't get used at work for work...
MGR calls go straight to voicemail. if I'm feeling generous, I'll call a customer for bad addresses since dispatch is worthless these days, they just google an address or look in friend.R.E.D(the fedex address system) and send responses that just say "good address" thanks dimwit!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I know that I am not FedEx but will add my two cents anyway.

I prefer to work smarter, not harder, and consider my personal cell phone to be another tool to make my life easier. I call for clarification of bad addresses. I call ahead on COD's as needed. I call/text to offer to cover a drop box or ask that one of mine be covered. I do not call pickups----they pay upward of $20/week to see my smiling face. I will call/text if I can help or if I may need help. I call to set up a meet/drop point for misloads.

I do not write off any of this use on my taxes as it would be very difficult to determine the % that is work related.

We also have guys on the Brown side who refuse to use their personal cell phones for company use, which is well within their right to do.

hypo hanna

...I'll call a customer for bad addresses since dispatch is worthless these days, they just google an address or look in friend.R.E.D(the fedex address system) and send responses that just say "good address" thanks dimwit!
They are just doing what they are told. They are givin a very short window to research an address, and they will get dinged on the percentage of corrections they find. The end result is that any address will do. It used to be that station service agents were responsible for researching DEX03,s but the company wanted to get rid of most of them and shift the workload to dispatch. You ever wonder why they never answer the phone? It's because they spends several hours a day calling out researching bad addresses.
Also there is the flood of bad addresses coming out of Amazon, att

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
In order to even bring our cellphones on premises at our location, we have to 'register' the make,model,and number, and receive a card authorizing us to carry it into the facility. Gestapo tactics? No, we can thank the Federal Governments' TSA for that.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
In order to even bring our cellphones on premises at our location, we have to 'register' the make,model,and number, and receive a card authorizing us to carry it into the facility. Gestapo tactics? No, we can thank the Federal Governments' TSA for that.

If you're at a ramp I'm thinking it's more like they're worried about theft. I don't think that's the TSA. When I was at a ramp, I always brought my phone in though.

If you're Ground, it's probably a theft thing. I've been to a few Ground locations and it was like Fort Knox getting through security.

dezguy

They are just doing what they are told. They are givin a very short window to research an address, and they will get dinged on the percentage of corrections they find. The end result is that any address will do. It used to be that station service agents were responsible for researching DEX03,s but the company wanted to get rid of most of them and shift the workload to dispatch. You ever wonder why they never answer the phone? It's because they spends several hours a day calling out researching bad addresses.
Also there is the flood of bad addresses coming out of Amazon, att

FedEx rather get the revenue for having a package rex'd because of a bad address than pay people to do it ahead of time. Put it on the dispatchers and couriers to fix the problem rather than before the package leaves the building.

dezguy

I know that I am not FedEx but will add my two cents anyway.

I prefer to work smarter, not harder, and consider my personal cell phone to be another tool to make my life easier. I call for clarification of bad addresses. I call ahead on COD's as needed. I call/text to offer to cover a drop box or ask that one of mine be covered. I do not call pickups----they pay upward of $20/week to see my smiling face. I will call/text if I can help or if I may need help. I call to set up a meet/drop point for misloads.

I do not write off any of this use on my taxes as it would be very difficult to determine the % that is work related.

We also have guys on the Brown side who refuse to use their personal cell phones for company use, which is well within their right to do.
When FedEx pays my cell phone bill, then I'll start using my phone for company use.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
FedEx rather get the revenue for having a package rex'd because of a bad address than pay people to do it ahead of time. Put it on the dispatchers and couriers to fix the problem rather than before the package leaves the building.

I don't do REXes anymore. I used to when I thought it might trickle down to our level. Now that I know the profits go the opposite direction without thought of us peons, screw them.

Last edited:

clean hairy

A suggestion for those who do not mind calling Mgmnt or Customers:
Get a cheapo phone and a cheap prepaid plan.
Or, if your plan lets you add a line for say, $10 per month.
Block outgoing caller ID.
IF you call Mgmnt, they have no idea you are calling from a personal phone.
Do not answer it.
You now have a Business expense that can be taken at tax time.