personal GPS

thc6888

Hi,Iam new to the cafe so i dont know if iam asking this in the right forum but i was wondering if i will be allowed to use my personal GPS in the package truck because i know they dont supply a gps and iam new to the area.thanks

Hard to do without a power source. And dont try rigging the package car,they dont allow it. After 3 or four days of driving in circles things will become familiar.....good luck.

brown_trousers

depends on what your job is. I found my GPS invaluable as an air driver, as I usually only go out with about 15 stops over a huge portion of the city. There's no way I could memorize all these little streets over such a huge area

badpal.

avoiding brown kool-aid
For me personally I prefer a map. It tends to stick in your head more when you map your stops out and find it yourself instead of the GPS directing you. I do use the Maps app on my IPhone when I get a crazy split on my route I haven't been to in a while.

John19841

I use the map feature on my phone all the time. When I started out I strictly used a map, as I learned pretty much every route I know blind. Now that I'm pretty familiar with all the routes I know, I use the map on the phone as a quick reference if I can't remember a street, or have a missload, etc. Much quicker then pulling out the map book. Plus it automatically pulls up where I am at that time, through GPS, so if I'm looking for a street two or three streets over, it's convenient.

As for the GPS, no. The routes are way to compacted for that to work out. Maybe if you're on a rural route driving 10 miles between stops I could see it working out for you, but when you're driving for 45 seconds between stops, it is not practical to type in the address each time.

On a side note, what I do see happening in the near future is all trucks being equipped with GPS units. Before you all start screaming unrealistic at me, hear me out.
The trucks and DIAD's already have GPS in them. It would not take much for a unit to be installed either with a screen or speaker that works in sync with EDD that automatically directs you to your next stop. Like everything else UPS does, it would be a failure because of improper implementation...But think, their reports would look awesome with no more trace issues.

710Steward

Learn your methods first, delivery area will come with time. You'll learn good survival skills about how to figure out how to get around without GPS.

UPSGUY72

Get a good map. With a GPS you only see a small area with a map you get the Big picture. You get to see the area and street and names right in front of you for the area your in and the area you need to go to.

Leave the GPS at home

Cementups

Box Monkey
For me personally I prefer a map. It tends to stick in your head more when you map your stops out and find it yourself instead of the GPS directing you. I do use the Maps app on my IPhone when I get a crazy split on my route I haven't been to in a while.

^this. I learned on a paper map and I still would prefer it when learning a whole or large area. Even though I have a regular route I still keep a mapbook in my supply tote just in case. And I do use my iPhone for a quick lookup of a single address if I am running an off area.

Hi,Iam new to the cafe so i dont know if iam asking this in the right forum but i was wondering if i will be allowed to use my personal GPS in the package truck because i know they dont supply a gps and iam new to the area.thanks

You may be new to the cafe but, are you new to UPS? We have package cars....not package trucks. (troll?) Anyway, take a map. The day you do not refer to it is the day you have finally got it together in knowledge of the area.

BCFan

i find my GPS to be quite helpful for delivering those pesky misloads and then you can fluff off with the excuse that you were lost looking for the correct address of the misload......BC

HomeDelivery

i use both...(the purple guy) printed map and GPS... as a swing, it's necessary for me to be more efficient.

weird that they won't let you have a 12V outlet for your gps/ cell phone charger...

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Map books never run out of batteries, and you can photocopy the pages you need and clip them to your sun visor so you can glance up at them when needed.

brett636

When I was an air driver I used my phone to guide me whenever I was sent somewhere unknown. IF you have an android powered phone google maps is your friend.

brownrod

I use the map feature on my iphone. I can smoke routes blind because of this. I don't use it to find any particular address. Just use it to get a good overview of the area to and find particular streets I am not familiar with. Much faster than old school map books.