Personal Integrity while working for UPS.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Example 2: Had a delivery for a T-shirt shop. Two attempts--both times closed. Indirected package to owner's parents' house which I know the owner will appreciate.
Until someone else runs the add/cut and doesn't do what you do, giving the "well the other driver always brings it to XXX" leading to non uniformity because of your personal decisions regarding their deliveries. Much like everything else small things turn into big problems under the "guise" of helping a customer. The solution would be if they are continuesly not able to get their packages at the shop, they should instead have them addressed to the parents house.

These are the same reasons pick up compliance means I break off in the middle of a neighborhood if I must to insure I'm in the pickup window. This insures that wether I'm at work or not the customer knows when the truck will be there. Doing the whole "call me if you don't have anything" game I don't play. Again pickup integrity can't be questioned following the methods if the poop hits the fan.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Until someone else runs the add/cut and doesn't do what you do, giving the "well the other driver always brings it to XXX" leading to non uniformity because of your personal decisions regarding their deliveries. Much like everything else small things turn into big problems under the "guise" of helping a customer. The solution would be if they are continuesly not able to get their packages at the shop, they should instead have them addressed to the parents house.

Do you tell your cover drivers all of your "secrets"?

This particular shop has two locations an hour away from one another. Normally there is someone at the shop but on the day(s) that there isn't (even after two attempts) I will bring them to his parents' house, which is also on my area.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I don't think using area knowledge can pertain to "personal integrity"

Here's a few examples I think "personal integrity" would be involved

A) Late winter night 8pm, You are instructed to EC any unshoveled driveways but you still deliver them

B) You are given a safety sheet in the AM and must fill out all the safety 10 pt commentaries and 5 seeing habits, you do it from memory instead of copying from a cheet sheet

C) You find an unsheeted package when you get back to the building, you sheet the box missed instead of ripping the PAL off it and chucking into the smalls tote

D) Basically tell the truth, when you call in "sick"

I think these are good examples of personal integrity

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Do you tell your cover drivers all of your "secrets"?

This particular shop has two locations an hour away from one another. Normally there is someone at the shop but on the day(s) that there isn't (even after two attempts) I will bring them to his parents' house, which is also on my area.
I have no secrets to tell. I run my route the way UPS designed it in the board and adhere to commit times for both pickups and deliveries as described in our methods. I am repeatedly praised for my trace and PU compliance % as that's what they want. Any cover driver could run my route and perform the same as I do without any guesswork or "secret tricks", which is how UPS wants it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have no secrets to tell. I run my route the way UPS designed it in the board and adhere to commit times for both pickups and deliveries as described in our methods. I am repeatedly praised for my trace and PU compliance % as that's what they want. Any cover driver could run my route and perform the same as I do without any guesswork or "secret tricks", which is how UPS wants it.

So you are telling me that you never bring a consignee's personal packages to their business (per their request) or make a second attempt on a COD to give the consignee a chance to get a money order or run off a misload on an adjacent area without having to be told to do so?

You do the job by the book and are to be commended for doing so. I prefer to go the extra mile whenever possible.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I don't think using area knowledge can pertain to "personal integrity"

Here's a few examples I think "personal integrity" would be involved

A) Late winter night 8pm, You are instructed to EC any unshoveled driveways but you still deliver them

B) You are given a safety sheet in the AM and must fill out all the safety 10 pt commentaries and 5 seeing habits, you do it from memory instead of copying from a cheet sheet

C) You find an unsheeted package when you get back to the building, you sheet the box missed instead of ripping the PAL off it and chucking into the smalls tote

D) Basically tell the truth, when you call in "sick"

I think these are good examples of personal integrity

A I do as they ask as if I was to fall on said driveway it would be my fault not following directions

B I memorize the best I can, that's all you can do. If you give half a shot you should be better then 50% of your peers.

C Following methods and being here longer then a few years, this shouldn't happen in the first place. If it does you sheet as missed and take the discipline, if any, as you should knowing that you weren't dishonest.

D When I call in I tell the truth, I won't be in because it's hot/taking a day to fish/need a break. As long as you're not abusing it, you'll not have problems.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
So you are telling me that you never bring a consignee's personal packages to their business (per their request) or make a second attempt on a COD to give the consignee a chance to get a money order or run off a misload on an adjacent area without having to be told to do so?

You do the job by the book and are to be commended for doing so. I prefer to go the extra mile whenever possible.
I used to, but that was before Telematics and UPS questioning our even well intentioned motives that resulted in some report that was generated because of it.

DS

Fenderbender

How do you maintain your personal Integrity while doing your job for UPS?

I
Well,it is a pretty good question .I'll be honest,in my tenure at ups,especially in the early days,I made some bad decisions.
I won't go into details,but I must say,that when I did,it was because I was in a hurry.I felt at the time that under pressure to
accomplish what they wanted,I had to bend the rules to get things done.I was usually disciplined for these infractions,but did
get away with one or two.I have matured since then and go by the book now.I don't need religion to know what's right and wrong.
I think every man is born with this knowledge.The problem is,God does not run ups,I think it's Sodom or Gamorah or some other
sinner that has but one mission.Regardless of the consequences,to increase profits.

I maintain mine by trying to do my best every day.If I have an extra 5 min break,I put in in as break.
If there's an accident on the highway,I take an alternate route.I also realize that I'm just a number,and
that I may unknowingly be involved in something I have no control over,yet get fired for it.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
you go first

How many of you laughed and hit the like button on this post...

rocket man,

Generally speaking my personal integrity is maintained by the God of the universe. My heavenly Father.

I have a relationship with him as a result of my relationship with his son, Jesus.

My personal integrity is empowered by God the Father, through the Holy Spirit who dwells inside of me.

The result is a conscience that is tender towards God and His will.

This materializes in my job as a tenderness towards people, all people but mostly to those oppressed or without Him.

It also materializes itself in my job as a hatred for sin of any kind.

This combination allows me to stand up for what is right on the job without being angry at the situation or the person or persons causing it.

It also allows me to not be afraid of taking on any issue that is clear to me one that He wants me to take on. No matter what.

Finally perhaps the most important way for me to maintain integrity on the job is to be quick to admit when I am wrong.

Repent of this wrong.

Accept any consequences that result from it.

Then press forward with Integrity to try to make UPS a better place to work as God enables.

Sincerely,
I

...then read this post and went back and unliked it?

I don't know why I didn't see it coming.

BrownArmy

I used to, but that was before Telematics and UPS questioning our even well intentioned motives that resulted in some report that was generated because of it.

When questioned about silliness like this, I always say, "I hate send-agains, and I was driving by there anyway to deliver the misload/deliver the random ten stop split you gave me/hit one of the extra pickups you gave me when you cut that route/ etc.

I usually have them at "I hate send-agains"...

gostillerz

I had a safety ride last week. Kind of broke trace several times to show my on-car where the sunbathers etc are on my route. I always told him there were a ton of cuties, so I had to prove I wasn't lying. That's integrity man, that's friend'ing integrity ;)

Buck Fifty

If you dont keep your personal integrity square with your brothers and sisters, than your a damn liar when it comes to keeping it with the company !

brown_trousers

How often does that happen. In 17 years, Ive never been told to do something illegal or unsafe.

As a part time sup, I was told to move packages or do union work. If I said no, that would be personal integrity !! I'd also be rewriting my resume !

Im calling your bluff, unless you live somewhere that has no laws about parking or jay-walking

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I had a safety ride last week. Kind of broke trace several times to show my on-car where the sunbathers etc are on my route. I always told him there were a ton of cuties, so I had to prove I wasn't lying. That's integrity man, that's friend'ing integrity ;)
If you had to break trace, it can't be that good of a route. ;p

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Im calling your bluff, unless you live somewhere that has no laws about parking or jay-walking

From day 1, we are told to "do what we need to do" to get the delivery done. I've double parked a hundred times and used a fire lane as my personal loading dock !! I do it because I need to. (and no, I was not filmed by Madera doing it ! :) lol )

You were doing okay until this one. I'm stumped, not sure what you meant.

Ummm , I was just trying to make a point
Calling out "sick", when you're not really sick