Personal Integrity while working for UPS.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
So you are telling me that you never bring a consignee's personal packages to their business (per their request) or make a second attempt on a COD to give the consignee a chance to get a money order or run off a misload on an adjacent area without having to be told to do so?

You do the job by the book and are to be commended for doing so. I prefer to go the extra mile whenever possible.
No second attempts on anything, unless I know its important. Not for phones, not for Amazon, Not of COD's. Especially not for people who have given me a hard time ever. And never for people who have called and said I didnt knock, ring bell, etc. Unless directed to.
From my point of view, you get my complete and total integrity at every delivery point. Question or lie abut my integrity, you will be hard pressed to see a delivery from me again. I've been here so long I know where you work and when. I have worked with you for years to make sure you get your things. I miss you one time and you call and complain? Over.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
I treated every pkg like it was my mother's ,, even if I hatted the SOB ,,because thats what I'm paid for and thats the way I was brought up !!

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
whenever heathen children mock me and throw stones at the truck and dont listen to there parents, we use the religion and bible scripture, because we dont pick and choose, the bible is absolute YOU HEATHENS to justify this
Deuteronomy 21:18-21

“If a man has a stubborn and rebellious son who will not obey the voice of his father or the voice of his mother, and, though they discipline him, will not listen to them, then his father and his mother shall take hold of him and bring him out to the elders of his city at the gate of the place where he lives, and they shall say to the elders of his city, ‘This our son is stubborn and rebellious; he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton and a drunkard.’ Then all the men of the city shall stone him to death with stones. So you shall purge the evil from your midst, and all Israel shall hear, and fear.

You, sir, sound like the life of the party. Do you carry the Old Testament around in your back pocket?

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
HEFFERNAN and all to whom this applies,

Feel free to continue to mock me because I have views that may be different from yours.

This is intolerance at its best and worst.

The question posed for this discussion thread was: How do you maintain your personal Integrity while doing your job for UPS?

I would be most pleased if you actually joined the discussion.

Sincerely,
I

Well, you asked about integrity. Maybe the people mocking you are trying to say, "Why do we need religion to have integrity?"

Catatonic

Nine Lives
im confused... are you just stating random facts?

Twin Peaks Movie.
Waitress says, I don't do drugs (smoking a cigarette and drinking coffee)
Agent says, Caffeine's a drug. Nicotine's a drug.
Waitress says, Who's the dorkhead?

Compare this to the post I responded to:

How often does that happen. In 17 years, Ive never been told to do something illegal or unsafe.

As a part time sup, I was told to move packages or do union work. If I said no, that would be personal integrity !! I'd also be rewriting my resume !

Im calling your bluff, unless you live somewhere that has no laws about parking or jay-walking

Integrity

Binge Poster
Well, you asked about integrity. Maybe the people mocking you are trying to say, "Why do we need religion to have integrity?"
Dracula,

I was only explaining how I maintain my personal integrity while doing my job at UPS.

I was asked to go first in one of the replies.

I don't recall telling anyone what they need, only how I personally do it.

I have met very moral people of integrity with no religion or faith whatsoever.

Sincerely,
I

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Had a driver bring back a package today that needed an apartment number. No big deal--happens all the time. The only problem is the stop in question is a senior citizen high rise with secure entry that has an updated list of all of the residents in alphabetical order with their apartment number. There was also a phone number on the package. I happened to be in the bldg at the same time and saw the package in the look-up room. The clerk, who is a friend, told me it took her less than a minute to get the apartment number. I saw the driver who brought it back and asked him if he saw the list by the door or tried to call the consignee. He told me that when he saw that there was no apartment number that he stopped on the road, sheeted the stop as "Need Apt" and drove on to the next stop.

That, my friends, is a total lack of personal integrity.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Had a driver bring back a package today that needed an apartment number. No big deal--happens all the time. The only problem is the stop in question is a senior citizen high rise with secure entry that has an updated list of all of the residents in alphabetical order with their apartment number. There was also a phone number on the package. I happened to be in the bldg at the same time and saw the package in the look-up room. The clerk, who is a friend, told me it took her less than a minute to get the apartment number. I saw the driver who brought it back and asked him if he saw the list by the door or tried to call the consignee. He told me that when he saw that there was no apartment number that he stopped on the road, sheeted the stop as "Need Apt" and drove on to the next stop.

That, my friends, is a total lack of personal integrity.
If the driver did not actually go to the stop, that is an easy way to get terminated. If the driver went to the stop, didn't see the list you speak of or the cosignees name wasn't on it, he can truthfully sheet as need apt number. I don't use my phone for UPS business, which includes calling customers for apt numbers/correct street numbers, we have clerks for that.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If the driver did not actually go to the stop, that is an easy way to get terminated. If the driver went to the stop, didn't see the list you speak of or the cosignees name wasn't on it, he can truthfully sheet as need apt number. I don't use my phone for UPS business, which includes calling customers for apt numbers/correct street numbers, we have clerks for that.

There was another driver who was also in the bldg at the same time. I relayed the story to him and the first thing he said was "there is a list by the door". Our center manager overheard us and added that the list was alphabetical. This driver has covered this area many times and knows full well that there is a list by the door. He simply blew the stop off. The center manager made a copy of the label and will be chatting with the driver in the morning.

The decision whether or not to use your personal cell phone for UPS business is up to you and one that I would never argue with. I choose to use my personal cell phone as another tool to get the job done.

How do you maintain your personal Integrity while doing your job for UPS?

Many on the Brown Cafe have a lot to say about UPS's failure in maintaining corporate integrity.

I am interested to hear how some individuals who aren't failing in this area personally do it.

Please be as detailed as your conscience will allow.

Practical examples would be most appreciated.

Sincerely,
I
I try and do it like a good honest man would. It doesn't always work though. When you are playing a game and this place is a game sometimes you have to think outside the box. Don't hate the player hate the game.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
There was another driver who was also in the bldg at the same time. I relayed the story to him and the first thing he said was "there is a list by the door". Our center manager overheard us and added that the list was alphabetical. This driver has covered this area many times and knows full well that there is a list by the door. He simply blew the stop off. The center manager made a copy of the label and will be chatting with the driver in the morning.

The decision whether or not to use your personal cell phone for UPS business is up to you and one that I would never argue with. I choose to use my personal cell phone as another tool to get the job done.
Then I would agree that this driver lacks integrity.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
One integrity question that was asked last week of me from another driver that I'll pose to you guys. Fellow driver said he redelivered a signature required package the second day and ,as we all have seen, customer signs the back even though the driver checked the box that requires a signature in person. The driver then says he signs the DIAD as SDN, types SDN followed by the customers name, to get past the DIADs required signature screen.

I informed him how I would handle this situation. I told him it would be a NI2, written VOID on the back, circled option B, and closed the stop leaving the second info notice on the door. (I do void and circle b on the first info notice already). I explained to him that he's risking his job by falsifying documents at the exspense of the shipper who paid for you to get a signature in person. The driver then understood where I was coming from and appreciated the input. I also explained that 10 years ago this wouldn't be such a big deal but times have changed, and he had better get with the CYA program.

brown_trousers

One integrity question that was asked last week of me from another driver that I'll pose to you guys. Fellow driver said he redelivered a signature required package the second day and ,as we all have seen, customer signs the back even though the driver checked the box that requires a signature in person. The driver then says he signs the DIAD as SDN, types SDN followed by the customers name, to get past the DIADs required signature screen.

I informed him how I would handle this situation. I told him it would be a NI2, written VOID on the back, circled option B, and closed the stop leaving the second info notice on the door. (I do void and circle b on the first info notice already). I explained to him that he's risking his job by falsifying documents at the exspense of the shipper who paid for you to get a signature in person. The driver then understood where I was coming from and appreciated the input. I also explained that 10 years ago this wouldn't be such a big deal but times have changed, and he had better get with the CYA program.

he wasnt following methods for sure, but UPS cant get him on falsifying documents becausr everything he entered into the diad was truthful. It was a signed delivery note, and he sheeted it as SDN, he recorded the stop truthfully.

though methods dictate that he should have got that signature in person. he did not give false information in the diad. Who here hasnt deviated from a method once in a while?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

I'll go one forward and ask the question, when is it OK to accept a signed delivery notice?

Ask 10 supes/managers and I guarantee no less than 7 different versions.

That's why unless the DIAD prompts me to, I never except a signed delivery notice.

P.S. BTW I challenged my management team numerous times to provide me a written guideline as to when, where and how, to no avail.

Buck Fifty

Dracula,

I was only explaining how I maintain my personal integrity while doing my job at UPS.

I was asked to go first in one of the replies.

I don't recall telling anyone what they need, only how I personally do it.

I have met very moral people of integrity with no religion or faith whatsoever.

Sincerely,
I

If you have it, it doesn't have to be maintained !