Philosophical discussion dealer or no dealer

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
My Dad and I have these epic Sienfeld-like discussions on the stupidest stuff. The latest was oil changes. He is not mechanically inclined and he is 70 so for him, any work on a car automatically goes to the dealer. I can build a car from the ground up (and have). I bought a new truck and we got to talking about how long RAM says to go between changes.

Because it's new, I told dad that I was going to be doing my own changes but think that I am going to use a dealer to do the full synthetic oil at least until the warranty is up that way there is documentation of the service in the case of a warranty issue. Of course dad has no clue and tries to argue that you should always use a "professional" to do the work. At that point, I had to laugh and tell him that just because you use "professionals" does not mean you will get the best service.

I know my skill and expertise level when it comes to wrenching on cars so I would have no problems working on a classic or this brand new truck. The only thing I don't have is all the diagnostic machines like a dealer does but we are talking oil changes here not injection ratios or computer controlled timing adjustments. With proper documentation of oil type and filter used and at what intervals, a warranty claim should not be an issue but there is always a chance.

Dad says he would only use a dealer. I say that does not always have to be the case but this time I am using a dealer. I figure for the cheap price of $100 for three full synthetic changes and tire rotations, why not. It saves me from having to crawl under the car and worry about the time to find to do it plus I get the benefit of them documenting the service and applying any software updates to the system that are needed.

So just to expand our discussion between dad and I, what would you all do? Service from dealer at least until out of warranty or do your own oil from day 1 with the satisfaction of knowing whats in there?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I change the oil in mine once out of warranty mainly because I’am cheap and like tinkering with stuff
That’s it though back in the day before computers I did lots brakes, water pumps, fuel pumps that kind of stuff afraid I’ll dick something up now with all the electronics and computers

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
I think this comment was spot on.

"At that point, I had to laugh and tell him that just because you use "professionals" does not mean you will get the best service."

With that said, I, personally would use the dealer.

And again, (personally) I'd have no warranty worries if I chose to do it myself.

scooby0048

Don’t even pump my own gas, definitely not changing oil!!!!

Probably don't even sell tools in Jersey, too afraid you guys will friend* something up.

Don't give them a reason to void your warranty.
The peace of mind is worth something.
Take it to the dealer.
I'm familiar with the Magnusson-Moss Act. I had to use that one time to convince dad that getting his local Pep Boys to do a $250 O2 sensor replacement was just as good and valid, as the $885 O2 replacement from the dealer. For the convenience and price and the included tire rotation, I would be crazy NOT to take it to the dealer...at least while it is under warranty.

I change the oil in mine once out of warranty mainly because I’am cheap and like tinkering with stuff
That’s it though back in the day before computers I did lots brakes, water pumps, fuel pumps that kind of stuff afraid I’ll dick something up now with all the electronics and computers

After the warranty I would certainly mess with it. I can already see having to go to the dealer for some things with all the electronics on it and the additional batteries needed for the autostart / on off feature.

They don't have professionals changing your oil. They have 16yr old kids or brain dead druggies doing it.
Yeah I'm not talking about taking it to Jiffy Lube or Grease Monkey. I wouldn't let those punks work on a lawnmower. I'm talking about factory trained service techs at the dealers. That's a whole other Seinfeld-like discussion dad and I have had. He will got to those places when he can't get over to the dealer and he makes sure that he goes to get it done as soon as the ODO hits 3k. He freaks if he gets close to 3100 miles.

I asked him once how he feels relying on a 16 yo minimum wage making punk to keep his $50k car running like new. He responded that they are trained extensively. I almost pissed myself and I couldn't stop laughing because in that same conversation he told me the kid couldn't find the cabin air filter location that they upsold him.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
If anyone thinks an ase certified mechanic is changing their oil they are crazy
The quick lane at my ford dealer is staffed by high school dropouts

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
My Dad and I have these epic Sienfeld-like discussions on the stupidest stuff. The latest was oil changes. He is not mechanically inclined and he is 70 so for him, any work on a car automatically goes to the dealer. I can build a car from the ground up (and have). I bought a new truck and we got to talking about how long RAM says to go between changes.

Because it's new, I told dad that I was going to be doing my own changes but think that I am going to use a dealer to do the full synthetic oil at least until the warranty is up that way there is documentation of the service in the case of a warranty issue. Of course dad has no clue and tries to argue that you should always use a "professional" to do the work. At that point, I had to laugh and tell him that just because you use "professionals" does not mean you will get the best service.

I know my skill and expertise level when it comes to wrenching on cars so I would have no problems working on a classic or this brand new truck. The only thing I don't have is all the diagnostic machines like a dealer does but we are talking oil changes here not injection ratios or computer controlled timing adjustments. With proper documentation of oil type and filter used and at what intervals, a warranty claim should not be an issue but there is always a chance.

Dad says he would only use a dealer. I say that does not always have to be the case but this time I am using a dealer. I figure for the cheap price of $100 for three full synthetic changes and tire rotations, why not. It saves me from having to crawl under the car and worry about the time to find to do it plus I get the benefit of them documenting the service and applying any software updates to the system that are needed.

So just to expand our discussion between dad and I, what would you all do? Service from dealer at least until out of warranty or do your own oil from day 1 with the satisfaction of knowing whats in there?

I agree with your decision in this case. 33 bucks per oil change with synthetic is cheaper than you can do on your own. I used to change my own oil because it was cheaper. I usually go to a quick e lube place just for the oil changes now because with a coupon they'll do it cheaper and faster than I can. Just refuse all their recommended services and you're good.

quad decade guy

Next time you are at the dealer, look around. Lot's of marble and glass...very palatial especially if it's a new facility. Around here, car dealers are some of the richest folks in town. With shop rates well into 3 figures, you are paying for all that nice stuff. ASE certified? I see lot's of those patches at Pep Boys etc. Now, a middle school flunky can change oil and do a perfectly adequate job....as long as they are TRAINED PROPERLY and SUPERVISED. Just like any nurses aid etc. I would also say a dealership could be more responsible and willing to warranty their work. This can also go the other way. I am a trained and certified aircraft mechanic(A&P). I don't change my own oil anymore. Used to when we were broke. But mainly because of time constraints and disposing of the waste oil is just too difficult. I use my small town local quick lube type place. From my vette on down. I also "supervise" their work. By the way, I've never had an engine failure of any kind using these type places(with vehicles going well into 150k miles). Dealerships? Bought a used F150 from a dealership. On the way home, it flashed a code light and the A/C compressor went out. I fixed the sensor myself and had a local Goodyear shop do the a/c. I then called the owner of the dealership and presented the bill to him. He just asked next time give him the opportunity to fix it. He wrote me a check for $1,100. BTW, that was the 3rd vehicle(2 new) we purchased from his dealership so there's that. My wife has hit at least 2 deer and we always bring body/damage type work to the dealer for warranty aspects and factory parts. Brakes and such? I always do that stuff. I've considered buying a scan tool for my own diagnostics but they are pricey and the cost/break even would be a while not to mention software updates etc. In the end, we don't really have much trouble out of our vehicles and this includes motorcycles(of which I always do all my work and this includes engine building)(as I can build a bike from the crankshaft out).

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Back in the day, I did all the normal maintenance on my cars as long as I had the tools to do it. Drum brakes, no.

Now, my wife’s car is under warranty, and I work part time where I bought my truck, and get a bitching discount.

Besides, too many electronics now. I miss my ‘71 Volkswagen. Simplest car ever.

scooby0048

I agree with your decision in this case. 33 bucks per oil change with synthetic is cheaper than you can do on your own. I used to change my own oil because it was cheaper. I usually go to a quick e lube place just for the oil changes now because with a coupon they'll do it cheaper and faster than I can. Just refuse all their recommended services and you're good.

I couldn't help but laugh because before I posted this thread, I had changed the oil in the wife's Kia that morning. With the filter and oil from AutoZone, it ran me $42 plus having to clean a spot in the garage then having to drive back to AZ to dump the oil. I'm still leary trusting those quik lube places after a buddy of mine got his done there and the guy cross-threaded his drain bolt. Ruined the pan.

I would also say a dealership could be more responsible and willing to warranty their work.
You're right and for a brand new truck with 100k / 5 years, I would be fine letting them wrench on it. The way I look at it is for the next 5 years, it saves me from having to crawl under there.

I get free lifetime oil changes at the dealer so it's an easy decision for me.

I got 2 bottles of water a tank and a half of fuel.

Poop Head

Judge me.
If i were to buy a new vehicle, id just take it in. All this new stuff is so crammed in that you need a chinese baby just to get at most of the bolts.