Phone Interviewed

neblackshirts

Hey I did a phone interview here in Nebraska. Applied for a full time driver but during interview was mentioned this was a seasonal drivers spot. I said that works but really want to get on full-time with UPS as I've been at my current job for 15+ years now. So I really want to turn this into a career and even if that means to start season I told him that was fine with me, just want to get my foot in the door. So interviewer told me that my local hub HR guy would be sending me an email to get my DOT stuff handled and setup a zoom classes through Chicago. Well it's been a few days and nothing yet. I did notice on my UPS login that it's changed with a bunch of stuff listed like Tour, Contract stuff, and so on. So maybe that's a positive sign but just figured I'd hear from someone by now about setting this stuff up.

Maybe I'm putting the cart in front of the horse and in a hurry a bit but just not sure of the whole process. I can't find any contact info for the guy I'm waiting to hear from but I do have his name as it was given during my phone interview. Thought about stopping into the UPS Hub this person is at Monday and try touching base on if I'm still in the running. I did mention that I needed to give my two weeks with my current employer and my interviewer mentioned that would be fine.

Thanks for any and all advice.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Hey I did a phone interview here in Nebraska. Applied for a full time driver but during interview was mentioned this was a seasonal drivers spot. I said that works but really want to get on full-time with UPS as I've been at my current job for 15+ years now. So I really want to turn this into a career and even if that means to start season I told him that was fine with me, just want to get my foot in the door. So interviewer told me that my local hub HR guy would be sending me an email to get my DOT stuff handled and setup a zoom classes through Chicago. Well it's been a few days and nothing yet. I did notice on my UPS login that it's changed with a bunch of stuff listed like Tour, Contract stuff, and so on. So maybe that's a positive sign but just figured I'd hear from someone by now about setting this stuff up.

Maybe I'm putting the cart in front of the horse and in a hurry a bit but just not sure of the whole process. I can't find any contact info for the guy I'm waiting to hear from but I do have his name as it was given during my phone interview. Thought about stopping into the UPS Hub this person is at Monday and try touching base on if I'm still in the running. I did mention that I needed to give my two weeks with my current employer and my interviewer mentioned that would be fine.

You’ll be done the middle of January what are you going to do for a job then?

That’s what seasonal means

JustDeliverIt

Unless you don't need your job or really hate it I would think twice about leaving for UPS. It is a seasonal position, at best you'll be working through January. Possibly done after December 24th, nothing is guaranteed after that. They do hire seasonal drivers at times, just depends on what their normal staffing is like. Just don't count on it, they will lie to you the entire way to get what they need.

neblackshirts

You’ll be done the middle of January what are you going to do for a job then?

That’s what seasonal means
Yeah I caught onto that right away in the interview, the job I applied for did not say it was seasonal. But my current job is a mess lots of jobs have been eliminated after the last 5 years when we got bought by five employees. Then after these five basically lined their pockets from buying a turn key and bleed every penny out they sold us to a competitor that is now thinning us out even more. So odds are after the first of the year I might not have a job, signs point to no or just a matter of time till I don't. It's a mess and complicated lol.

But was told I'd work till Jan 15th, told him during interview when asked what I expect out of UPS I said for hopefully a long career. I understand that getting onto UPS full time is difficult but am hoping this seasonal job can grow into something full time.

Cloud

Yeah I caught onto that right away in the interview, the job I applied for did not say it was seasonal. But my current job is a mess lots of jobs have been eliminated after the last 5 years when we got bought by five employees. Then after these five basically lined their pockets from buying a turn key and bleed every penny out they sold us to a competitor that is now thinning us out even more. So odds are after the first of the year I might not have a job, signs point to no or just a matter of time till I don't. It's a mess and complicated lol.

But was told I'd work till Jan 15th, told him during interview when asked what I expect out of UPS I said for hopefully a long career. I understand that getting onto UPS full time is difficult but am hoping this seasonal job can grow into something full time.
If your current job is going to be a dead-end or eliminated, then yeah this could a good opportunity. But just know what you are getting into, a seasonal one. Yeah it might say officially until Jan 15 but realistically it's only until Dec 26 (after christmas). Volume spiked a bit right after new years, so I got to work like the first week in January but then got cut again when I was seasonal.

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.

If you want to get your foot in the door, I’d suggest starting out part time on the preload or local sort. Much better chance to go driving full time that way then hoping a season driving gig turns ft.

neblackshirts

If you want to get your foot in the door, I’d suggest starting out part time on the preload or local sort. Much better chance to go driving full time that way then hoping a season driving gig turns ft.
Yeah definitely something I have considered, I actually asked that in the interview. Understandably he couldn't promise anything could or would be available after the driving gig. I also thought if I was to get the driving job to get my CDL after the season was over just in hopes to get further on the radar. Would like to build my way to a feeder job but that does take time and a lot of time from what I understand.