Pick up pieces

'Lord Brown's bidding'

So, if I were to show up at a dock and there are 10 pieces going out but no EOD I won't go looking for it as that may not be worth the time, but I do scan the pieces in lieu of scanning the EOD to protect the customer.

OTOH, if I show up to a dock that has 100 pieces going out and no EOD, while I won't scan each piece I will find the shipping clerk/manager and ask them to print it out, which they can do while I am loading, and thus no time is lost. If they cannot print the EOD in said situation, well....I am not inflexible.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Try this yourselves: scan an EOD, and then select one package that you picked up and track it's barcode (as with delivery scans there is a 15 min lag, so don't do it right away). Same thing with scanning ARS' in special counts.

upschuck

EOD does not confirm that a package was picked up, only that the pickup was completed at that location and that those particular packages were supposed to have been picked up at that time.
A customer can print the EOD, but until it is scanned, the driver scans it, or it gets the origin scan, it will not show up as picked up in the system. Instead, it's status is "label has been processed, package ready for pickup"
Both of you are right. I have seen many of packages show being picked up and moved long distances and never been scanned the first time. These are logical/derived scans. Until we actually scan the package itself does it get a physical scan and confirmation that we have the package. When we scan the EOD, it gets the derived/logical scan(not sure which one). I don't know if we pay on packages with no physical scan. Probably depends on how squeaky the wheel is.

oldngray

nowhere special
Often it is only a logical scan until it gets physically scanned when it arrives at delivery center. That does confuse customers who try to track a package and can't get details. Package is in system and will get billed for but it can lack some tracking data. Whether UPS pays a claim on a logical scan that says it should have been picked up probably depends on the circumstances and who the shipper is. If a package never gets scanned at anyplace in the system it probably never got picked up, but I have seen driver follow ups when that is exactly what happened.