Pitt Bull attack

Goldilocks

Anyone ever been bitten by a dog while delivering? I was chased by 2 pitt bulls and ran so fast, I thought I was going to die and the pkg was a sig required. Then the lady comes out of her trailer and speaks no english...Needless to say, she met me at my truck because I was furious. I refuse to stand there and take it from her dogs...:angry:

bbsam

Staff member
Anyone ever been bitten by a dog while delivering? I was chased by 2 pitt bulls and ran so fast, I thought I was going to die and the pkg was a sig required. Then the lady comes out of her trailer and speaks no english...Needless to say, she met me at my truck because I was furious. I refuse to stand there and take it from her dogs...:angry:
I had a driver a few years ago who was viciously attacked by a Rottweiler. Crushed her wrist pretty badly. Long story short, owners home-owners insurance ended up paying the medical bills (six figures) and paid her another six figures pain and suffering. Very messy situation.

55+

You should not have to return to that residence to deliver as long as those dogs are there...period

Rhoderunner

You should not have to return to that residence to deliver as long as those dogs are there...period

AGREE !!! Pull up, blast the horn twice then give a few minutes for someone to come out to you. If not 08/last attempt with comments about dogs and let the office call them.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I had a driver a few years ago who was viciously attacked by a Rottweiler. Crushed her wrist pretty badly. Long story short, owners home-owners insurance ended up paying the medical bills (six figures) and paid her another six figures pain and suffering. Very messy situation.
Nice story, but...........dont get attacked because if it is a renter they usually dont have any insurance, and lately the owner cannot be found. And you are sol, with a big ole hole in your body, and lucky to get paid as you can no longer work. Those 6 figure payouts are few and far between with irresponsible owners, and nothing you can attach and take.
You just get screwed. And every time you hear what sounds like a dog collar, u will want to pee in your pants. The psychological damage can be bad. Just saYIN

whenIgetthere

Been bitten twice on the job, and mauled by two pitbulls on my own time back in '99! The two on the job get the honk, wait two minutes and move on routine suggested by Rhoderunner.

bbsam

Staff member
Nice story, but...........dont get attacked because if it is a renter they usually dont have any insurance, and lately the owner cannot be found. And you are sol, with a big ole hole in your body, and lucky to get paid as you can no longer work. Those 6 figure payouts are few and far between with irresponsible owners, and nothing you can attach and take.
You just get screwed. And every time you hear what sounds like a dog collar, u will want to pee in your pants. The psychological damage can be bad. Just saYIN
Oh, no. Was not a good situation at all. Home owner attempted to counter-sue claiming she was tresspassing! Definitely avoid it at all costs.

bbsam

Staff member
Trespassing? So many morons in the world!
Yep. Lawyer tactic used to draw the case out in the hopes of wearing the plaintiff down to the point where she would accept less in settlement than a judge or jury would award. In that sense, it probably worked.

BoxDriver

Out in the country loose dogs unfortunetly are part of the job. I have several houses with signs saying not to get out of the car. Two are K9 cop homes.

HomeDelivery

I've gotten "nipped" a few times by small dogs... not enough to draw blood.

those "ankle biters" are surprising; just don't turn your back on them...

I'll honk, see the owner come out, leave the parcel right there on the sidewalk/ driveway & speed off. If they complain, i just say it's for my own safety.

I've also used their own boxes as shields & just drop-n-back away when I see the owner...

I used to carry dog treats to use as a distraction, but not anymore since I don't have that luxury to spend my money on.

Some owners say, the dog is friendly & won't bite... i learned the hard way that is not always the case.

code 07 & doortag at their mailbox if i can't get to the house is now my current method. I'm done dealing with dogs.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Oh, no. Was not a good situation at all. Home owner attempted to counter-sue claiming she was tresspassing! Definitely avoid it at all costs.
OH NO that did not happen. Actually I was not at work. Some old man was chasing his dog, and he asked me to help him. It was fathers day and I ended up in the hospital and did not go to see my Dad. The Rot/dalmation mix went for my throat when I grabbed the chain of the dog the owner said would not bite me. I had my bicep ripped out as I put my arm up to guard my head, and missed 2 weeks of work, and many stitches. Only a good ole stray doberman restored my faith in big dogs. Til then I had no fear at all. He had no insurance, his house was paid for but he had no income, so he said, and yes I hired a lawyer. I got paid 2 yrs later from victims of violence fund.

vantexan

I've been bitten a couple of times. Once, while not bitten, I was being charged over and over by a large female pit bull. I made like I was going to hit her on the nose with the box, and she'd back off, then charge again. Owner opened front door, watched us going around in circles for about 15 seconds, then told me to stop teasing her dog! Told her if she wanted her pkg she'd better get the dog off of me.

While in AZ we had a courier at sister station get attacked by a large dog that ripped away the front of his shorts. Sr mgr met him at emergency room, threw his suit coat around him. Ended up getting 4 stitches in a testicle. Ouch!

Once went up to a mobile home in a really rough area that had four large pit bulls staked out around yard. One I could tell was dangerous, the rest I ended up petting on the head. One scary looking man with prison tattoos on his chest opened the door after I knocked with a shocked look on his face. He said "Mister, I just want to know one thing. How the hell did you get past my dogs"? I smiled and said I get along well with most dogs. He just gave me a very weird look.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Many of these idiots that own vicious dogs deserved to be sued. I love most dogs but if you own a vicious one that roams free (which is illegal) then why would you order packages knowning full well that someone has to stop by your house to deliver them? Lotta' stupid dog owners out there.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
Been bit twice. One dalmation and one great dane. Usually a very good judge of dogs and what they will allow. Never saw the dane coming and he got me at the elbow from behind while I was distracted by another dane in front.
I know several drivers that have made out very well from dog bites but DO NOT take the chance with an aggressive dog. Let the center manager know that you will not be delivering there ever again and have the customer decide where they want there deliveries from then on.

Guapo

I was bitten by the dog of a customers neighbor, he let the dog loose after I parked. Guess he thought I was casing houses in a company truck. Also had a customers 4 doberman pincers assault me from 4 sides while owner watched from her porch finally (with apology to dontthrowpackages) I hollered "here catch" and threw her phone at her with a "put your damn dogs up if your gonna order crap to be delivered to your house" comment.

LTFedExer

Pulled up to house in an Econoline with about 4-5 dogs running around barking. Shut my engine off and honked. Dogs layed down quiet as anything. Nobody came out so I figured I'd tag the mailbox at the driveway entrance. Dogs started barking and running around again. I felt the truck shake a bit as I started to move. Then I heard a pssst each time the tire came around. knowing I had a hole in my tire, I left tracks in the dirt driveway. Changed the tire and went on my way. Next morning told my manager what happened. She said everytime there's a pkg for that address to give it to her, we're not going there again.

I was chased by a blue healer. Scared the daylights out of me. Thankfully I left my passenger door (W700) open. I heard the dog slide by as I slammed it shut. Next time there, I told the owner. He told me I was lucky he didn't catch me. Mean dog, but nice as hell owner.

whenIgetthere

Pulled up to house in an Econoline with about 4-5 dogs running around barking. Shut my engine off and honked. Dogs layed down quiet as anything. Nobody came out so I figured I'd tag the mailbox at the driveway entrance. Dogs started barking and running around again. I felt the truck shake a bit as I started to move. Then I heard a pssst each time the tire came around. knowing I had a hole in my tire, I left tracks in the dirt driveway. Changed the tire and went on my way. Next morning told my manager what happened. She said everytime there's a pkg for that address to give it to her, we're not going there again.

I was chased by a blue healer. Scared the daylights out of me. Thankfully I left my passenger door (W700) open. I heard the dog slide by as I slammed it shut. Next time there, I told the owner. He told me I was lucky he didn't catch me. Mean dog, but nice as hell owner.

First time I was bitten, was a little ankle biter who jumped up and bit my knee, punctured, but no stitches. Second time, I'm walking up to customers front porch, she says the dog doesn't bite just as it leaps and bites my nose! Six stitches to close that one, and left a bad scar!