Plant Engineering

trickpony1

Windier than a sack of farts. ^

....or just being realistic?

Myron's opinion may not affect you now but it might/will in the future if, in fact, you truly are a "newbie".

BTW, it really doesn't matter if you are an hourly employee or management......the concept applies.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
....or just being realistic?

Myron's opinion may not affect you now but it might/will in the future if, in fact, you truly are a "newbie".

BTW, it really doesn't matter if you are an hourly employee or management......the concept applies.

trick, Thanks for the short story to support what Myron described in great detail! Merry Christmas..

pemanager

Anyone heard anything about doing away with PE?

I don't know what you heard but I don't believe they are doing away with PE. Staffing and headcounts are already in the 2009 FY plan. What is happening, and may be in line with what you've heard, is that frequencies for facility visits by PE Supervisors to extended centers with less than 60 cars is being reduced to once every three years and a lot of the environmental, etc. training for things like SWPPP will be done by CBT.

8up

Re: Plant Engineering IS HISTORY...I know why...

PLEASE GET A CLUE. GETTING RID OF PE??? WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU THINKING? THERE ARE SO MANY OTHER WAYS TO SAVE MONEY!

It ain't just PE folks!!! Why again? The game is set up for as many people as possible to NOT make at least partial retirement--that's right--NOT make partial retirement AND it's getting worse. Remember, 55 is NOT full retirement. It is a partial benefit retirement with full healthcare.

It used to be, UPS saved enormous costs by losing people before they reached full retirement. "Go ahead leave before 62 take your stock you have enough!" They begged you.

Now the age is 55. I have seen so many uncomfortable moves made to people when they reach 54 to 56 years of age it would make your head spin.

Myron

if the drive was to save money, then why doesn't the upper mgmt. take out some of the extemely higher cost folks that they just keep giving the gravy jobs to? we use to have a district mgr. who was in charge. now after the collapse of some regions we have several folks at that level. ops mgrs. for the hub and pkg , who, for the most part do the job the distr. mgr did. lottsa folks makin' good easy money. the "good ole boy" system still functioning very well for those region folks makin' sure they protect their jobs and passin' the buck down to center level mgrs. and sups. who were busted down to those levels and seem to be the ones who are gettin' all the pressure to either cheat or get fired.
oh yeah, JMO
thanks

JustTired

free at last.......
Oh, I guess any support function could be outsourced, and I would think all of them have been looked at for outsourcing. Just like the core functions, there is always someone out there willing to do the job cheaper, but the question that needs to be considered is, can that outside party do it as well, and with the same commitment to excellence.

I don't think you have to look any further than the 800 number to find the answer to that.