Please Help me guys!

Favre49

Ive been driving for 4 years now, they did a 3 day lock in with me this past week. They have not time studied these routes in years im normally 2 hours over everyday. So the first day they road with me i did methods all day yea i messed up on some, but for the most part did ok (still went over 2 1/2 hours). Next day im in the office with the road sup and center manager said i was overlooking packages in the truck to work slower threating my job and so forth. I have Dyslexia a learning disability do not comprehend as fast as others should i file on this as being picked on and humiliatied???? thank you

illinois

As a former manager and UPSer for 27 years I can tell you it doesn't hurt to file, however be prepared for some unfavorable reciprocation from your current center management team. If you follow the methods and you are two hours over you have nothing to worry about. Not sure about your disability. If UPS can prove your disability makes it unsafe for you to operate the vehicle it can be trouble. Otherwise I dont think it will help you or hurt you to bring it up.

JonFrum

Favre49,

Get your Dyslexia throughly diagnosed and documented on paper by your doctor.

File a grievance to invoke this clause in the Contract:
ARTICLE 14. COMPENSATION CLAIMS
Section 3. Permanently Disabled Employees

The Parties agree to abide by the provisions of the Americans with Disabilities Act. The Company shall be required to negotiate with the Local Union prior to providing a reasonable accommodation to a qualified bargaining unit employee.

The Company shall make a good faith effort to comply in a timely manner with requests for a reasonable accommodation because of a permanent disability. Any grievance concerning the accommodation not resolved at the center level hearing will be referred to the appropriate Union and Company co-chairs for the Local Area or to the Region Grievance Committee, if applicable. If not resolved at that level within ten (10) days, the grievance shall be submitted directly to the National Safety and Health Grievance Committee.

If the Company claims that the individual does not fall within the protections of the Americans with Disabilities Act, then the grievance must follow the normal grievance procedure in order to resolve that issue before it can be docketed with the National Safety and Health Committee.

Any claim in dispute concerning rights under this Section shall be addressed under the grievance and arbitration procedures of this Agreement. A grievance may be filed by an employee or the Union, notwithstanding any contrary provision in any Supplement, Rider or Addendum. The submission of a claim under this Section to the grievance and arbitration procedures of the Agreement shall not prohibit or impede an employee or the Union from pursuing their statutory rights under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) or comparable state or local laws.

The parties agree that appropriate accommodations under this Section are to be determined on a case-by-case basis.

Check the rest of the Contract, and your Supplement too.

Visit this website and read all about your rights and how to invoke them:
http://www.ada.gov/

It's interesting that it was UPS that forced the issue by claiming you can't do your job to their satisfaction. This, and your dyslexia, puts you in a perfect position to invoke your right to an accomodation under the ADA.

drewed

Shankman
Well he could lose his driving job over it, since its sort of required as part of the job of comprehend, and since most jobs at UPS require timely comprehension, where would they put him? the unload?
And I admit I have minimal understanding of the ADA but wouldnt be kind of hard to claim a job protection of the ADA if he knew of the disability when he accepted the job and didnt notify the employer?

And Farve how were you humilated? Im just curious you didnt really point out anything that was humiliating.

Favre49

Ive been driving for 4 years now, they did a 3 day lock in with me this past week. They have not time studied these routes in years im normally 2 hours over everyday. So the first day they road with me i did methods all day yea i messed up on some, but for the most part did ok (still went over 2 1/2 hours everyday he rode with me). Next day im in the office with the road sup and center manager said i was overlooking packages in the truck to work slower threating my job and so forth. I have Dyslexia a learning disability do not comprehend as fast as others should i file on this as being picked on and humiliatied? Center manager Admitted he told another driver not to hang around or talk to me because im influencing him to work slower!

705red

Browncafe Steward
Well he could lose his driving job over it, since its sort of required as part of the job of comprehend, and since most jobs at UPS require timely comprehension, where would they put him? the unload?
And I admit I have minimal understanding of the ADA but wouldnt be kind of hard to claim a job protection of the ADA if he knew of the disability when he accepted the job and didnt notify the employer?

And Farve how were you humilated? Im just curious you didnt really point out anything that was humiliating.
Than why must you respond if you have no clue on what you are talking about!

I work with several drivers with this disorder and they continue to work. He spends a little more time double checking the address numbers than you or myself would.
Favre if they continue to harass you, maybe you should only read the label one time, and pray that the package got to the right address. After a few hundred tracers i bet they will back off!

Favre49

i dont believe Dyslexia would cause problems driving a ups truck, mine is having to read things twice to understand, overlooking packages in the back of truck. In the Union hand book it says nothing about that physically im capable of doing the job. When im out there doing my job to the best of my ability doing the methods still running over 2 1/2 hours and he tells me im in the back of the truck overlooking packages on purpose to work slower thats humilating

drewed

Shankman
Red from what I just read in the ADA, UPS has to make reasonable accomodation. That would be putting him in a open position where the disability does not lower quality or production that would be unload where he doesnt have to read anything. Im not poking fun, UPS cant fire him for having a disability but one of his essential job functions is being able to comprehend a label. And Red dislexyia can come in all shapes and forms of serverity some people transpose numbers, some switch letters, with some letters just appear backwards. Yes its a disability but we dont know how bad his is so we really cant say what could/would/should happen.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I would say not to even bring up this fact. You've been doing the job for 4 years, and now they're going to ride you? Just keep working like you work. Nothing has changed and you're not going any slower than normal, or whatever is normal for you.

You've just enlightened me as to why some guys can work slower than others. I feel bad that I've always viewed these guys as slackers in my mind. Now I'm not saying we don't have slackers. What I am saying is that some people have legitimate reasons for going slower than others, aside from not being in the best shape.

When you say "overlooking", are you saying not looking on the floor or in the rear of the car? Or are you saying that you are looking too hard for pkgs in general? Again, this makes no difference. Work as you have always worked. As long as you're not trying to play a game with MGMT, like this guy did (http://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/production-termination.212155/), you'll be fine. Do your job, that's all you need to do, and those methods are part of the job. You'll miss some methods, here and there, but as long as you work as directed, you'll be fine.

P

pickup

Did the supervisor call you a "time thief"? That is a ever increasingly popular term used by the supervisors where I work . Once in awhile ,when I start living off of vending machines (sugar, sugar, more sugar) and I am very very tired, numbers will inverse for me. So when I am on the highway, I-95 becomes I-59 (once it awhile) when I see a sign along the interstate. It's actually a warning sign to me that I am not eating right. I know it ain't I-59 because I driven that from mississipi into louisiana many many years ago.

local804

IYou've just enlightened me as to why some guys can work slower than others. I feel bad that I've always viewed these guys as slackers in my mind. Now I'm not saying we don't have slackers. What I am saying is that some people have legitimate reasons for going slower than others, aside from not being in the best shape.

Lets not forget the age factor here also Stuggy.In 10 years, you might not be able to run those marathons you run as fast as you did :)

JonFrum

Drewed,

He's been doing the job for four years!!!

Even being "paidover" isn't necessarily significant because other drivers are paidover as well, and there is no guarantee the measuring process is scientifically accurate, or those who impliment it, or evaluate the results are fairminded in the first place.

There is no obligation to tell your employer you have a disability. (Actually, we all have disabilities of one sort or another.) And the employer can't ask. If the employer hires you permantly after your probation [evaluation] period, then you are deemed at least minimally able to do the job.

Favre49,

You may find that your steward and supervisor don't know much about the ADA. But people higher-up will. Ideally you should deal with the Company Human Resources person who handles ADA cases. Ask to have his/her phone number and email address. Or get it from the directory on UPSers.com.

UPS is involved in fighting the ADA in court. You can read about two situations here . . .
http://pupsinc.homestead.com/naber1.html

P

pickup

Did the supervisor call you a "time thief"? That is a popular term used by the supervisors where I work . Once in awhile ,when I start living off of vending machines (sugar, sugar, more sugar) and I am very very tired, numbers will inverse for me. So when I am on the highway, I-95 becomes I-59 (once it awhile) when I see a sign along the interstate. It's actually a warning sign to me that I am not eating right. I know it ain't I-59 because I driven that from mississipi into louisiana many many years ago.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Lets not forget the age factor here also Stuggy.In 10 years, you might not be able to run those marathons you run as fast as you did :)

Are you saying, it's all downhill from here? Or is that, uphill?:wink2:

Drewed,

He's been doing the job for four years!!!

Even being "paidover" isn't necessarily significant because other drivers are paidover as well, and there is no guarantee the measuring process is scientifically accurate, or those who impliment it, or evaluate the results are fairminded in the first place.

There is no obligation to tell your employer you have a disability. (Actually, we all have disabilities of one sort or another.) And the employer can't ask. If the employer hires you permantly after your probation [evaluation] period, then you are deemed at least minimally able to do the job.

Favre49,

You may find that your steward and supervisor don't know much about the ADA. But people higher-up will. Ideally you should deal with the Company Human Resources person who handles ADA cases. Ask to have his/her phone number and email address. Or get it from the directory on UPSers.com.

UPS is involved in fighting the ADA in court. You can read about two situations here . . .
http://pupsinc.homestead.com/naber1.html

Your other info is great, but I believe this is the best. We all work to the best of our abilities. You can only do what you can do. If you're making an honest effort, that's all that need be done.

diesel96

Farve, don't do anything unless action is taking against you. Good advice from Illinois. Utilize and trust your EDD/PAS data as much as possible. Insist on updating your loop data in sequential order into the EDD system the way that's routinely comfortable for you. Otherwise just do the best you can w/o mis-delivering, and try to make up time elsewhere.

Favre49

they issued me a warning letter for failure to instructions, road supervisor told the center manager i was not doing my job not knowing my next 3 stops and knowing where there at in my car. It does not really bother me i know im doing what im suppose to be doing, they have nothing on me so i guess they have to find something!

helenofcalifornia

Favre, if you have already been issued a warning letter for failure to follow instructions, then I think the situation is a tad bit more serious. Do you think that they are setting you up to fire you? What is your shop steward doing to protect you? Maybe you and 705 should be PM'ing each other. He usually has solid advice.