PMI

JackStraw

Just had one done on my truck. Does everybody wind up with wd-40(or whatever the hell lubricant they use)overflowing from every moving part? looks like crap to. Do they even have to lube the locks anymore?

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
We now have this stuff called SPL100. It sucks as a lubricant, but they insist we use it to prevent corrosion on electrical components.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
The spring activated door gets a lubing, helper had a nice streak down his back this past peak from it dripping. I also enjoy the handbrake lube that sprays all over me like a dog pissing on my leg for the next few days after a PMI.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
The spring activated door gets a lubing, helper had a nice streak down his back this past peak from it dripping. I also enjoy the handbrake lube that sprays all over me like a dog pissing on my leg for the next few days after a PMI.

This SPL100 stuff is terrible on the brake levers. It's so thick that it's hard to contol and then it's gone in a few days. Never had a problem with rusty ones before we got this crap forced on us with the "clean,bright and tight" kick.

UPSGUY72

It doesn't have to be pretty it just has to work until the next time they do a service on your car when they will just spray more of what ever they used on top of all the dirt that stuck to the last stuff they sprayed on....

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
The idea was that we would have time to clean it all off and reapply on all connections. Apparently there were problems related to corrosion that were hidden by the more substantial NYK. Never had that problem at all in my area. I prefer to use it sparingly, because it attracts dirt just as bad and doesn't protect nearly as well. At least then I will be able to SEE if there is a problem.
It seems to me taking apart these connections so frequently will cause more problems than it prevents.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The thing about PMI's that irritate me is our mechanics never tell us when they are going to pull the pkg car from the lineup which does not allow us to write up all of the little things that need to be corrected that do not affect the operation of the pkg car. We also have to walk down to the shop to gather our personal items and handcarts to put them in the replacement vehicle for the day.

The thing about PMI's that irritate me is our mechanics never tell us when they are going to pull the pkg car from the lineup which does not allow us to write up all of the little things that need to be corrected that do not affect the operation of the pkg car. We also have to walk down to the shop to gather our personal items and handcarts to put them in the replacement vehicle for the day.

​Keep running notes on the back of the DVIR book and let your mech know they're there. As far as your belongings, wait till you go on the clock and stroll over to get them.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

​They usually pull it off 3 days before you go on vacation.

Alexcross774

Spinning my wheels.
​Keep running notes on the back of the DVIR book and let your mech know they're there. As far as your belongings, wait till you go on the clock and stroll over to get them.

One of the worst ideas I have heard... Why don't you write up the stuff as it fails or as you want it repaired or adjusted? That way when your mechanic does the PMI, he won't have your car for a week trying to fix all the crap that is wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the worst ideas I have heard... Why don't you write up the stuff as it fails or as you want it repaired or adjusted? That way when your mechanic does the PMI, he won't have your car for a week trying to fix all the crap that is wrong.

Because I'm not going to take up every minute of my mechanics time to get a loose screw tightened. If its safety it goes in right away. If its non-safety ill let him know and he can fix in between his other vehicles that have safety repairs needed. If its trivial then it goes on the list for the PMI.

You have people complaining about not getting the equipment repaired and then guys like you have their rig in the shop every night. Guys like you are the ones who have the mechs tying up their rig for a week because they're tired of seeing it.

Last edited by a moderator:

over9five

Staff member
Keep running notes on the back of the DVIR book and let your mech know they're there. As far as your belongings, wait till you go on the clock and stroll over to get them.
x2. We call it the wish list. Little stuff gets fixed next time it's in the shop.

It's going to be in the shop for PMI anyway. Why put it in the shop every night? And some people wonder why they get the junk equipment.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Unless I find something really bad during PMI,reclaiming your personal effects won't be necessary.The small things I don't have time for I will make open repairs for to address them as time permits.:peaceful:

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I'm cursed, my truck was taken out today and I had the pleasure of driving one with a safe still installed in the 4000 section to give you an idea of the age.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I keep some cleaning supplies in the truck. First thing I do after a PMI is a good wipe down to remove dripping oil. I find quick wax is great at cleaning the gunk off the bulkhead and doors.

browntruckmechanic

Well isn't that special ?????????
What kind of relationship do you have with your mechanic? I have a good relationship with my drivers, i have cell phone numbers so if I have to red tag the car, I'll txt them to let them know so there are no surprises.